Anyone Having Trouble Finding Climbers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

404 in the ATL

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Here in Atlanta I've been having a horrible time trying to find good climbers. It has gotten so bad I've thought about trying to recruit guys from up north to move to Atlanta. Anyone else having this problem?

Wow it sounds like I need to travel down south and offer to pay for citizenship!

I know here in so. Calif. Lots of climbers went back to Mexico when the economy went bad. Now that things are getting better there is a shortage of climbers. A boom for old tree guys like me.

Yup, sucks. I actually have to work tomorrow,,I will try to get pics to prove it,,lol,,yeah, we need climbers and hard to find,
Jeff:)

I like how everyone says they're a climber, then you get them in the tree and you're all like WTF?
I let a guy try out for a climbing position, last year. I have a course set in my tree, in my front yard. He made it to the first crotch, ten feet up, and then things got funny: He got his lanyard set and that was it. He kept tying and untying knots in his climbing line and looking up and down. Twenty minutes later, and by that time I can do the whole course, he was still standing in that first crotch. "Come on down, man! I thought you told me you were a climber---" "Yeah, but that was a couple of years ago. I guess I forgot everything I knew, since then." "Thanks for stopping by, man. Call me back when you remember everything."

Resorting to recruiting yanks? lol Dang, boy that is horrible.
Bad, make that terrible, positioning. How's your lower back doing, these days? Hurts mine, to even look at the pic. (If you stepped back and posed, just for the pic, never mind)

It's no easier in aus. I've been trying to find another climber to take some of the easier jobs off me, I'm getting a little worn down climbing every day and running the company too. Tried 3 different climbers last year, one was ok on light trim work but couldn't rig or do big removals, the other two really couldn't even climb. They all wanted pretty big money. Guys fresh out of climbing school are looking for $450/day, and they're pretty awful.

I will go south what's the pay ? And can you post the trees that I will have to do , I am getting picky now !

I might head out some where for a few months if the pay was good, but fair warning, I'm mean, stubborn and slow, those are my good points. I can do anything though, better them most.

I might head out some where for a few months if the pay was good, but fair warning, I'm mean, stubborn and slow, those are my good points. I can do anything though, better them most.
I'm just slow , I'll listen to anything someone has to say . I may not do it .... I may even turn my head like a dog but ....... I won't laugh unless someone else laughs first then all bets are off !

I would hook up the chipper and go to canada ehhhhhhh ! But I heard its cold there I dont look good in a parka , and I heard that other then Canadian bacon the food sucks ! Deevo would prolly slash all my tires and cut my ropes anyway !

Define a good climber. In my mind i think im good. I set a good pase for my self. Im not crazy fast and im not slow.

Also i think climbing is a second nature. Knowing how and what to cut is going to determine who is a good climber. At this point in my life i feel i have it all down. One task i can see improving on are reductions. I tend to be slower at them. Oh and sometimes the through ball doesn't always agree with me. Sometimes im right on and other i get so frustrated i want to cut the line into little pieces and burn it.

Anyway back on track, so in your opinion what is a good climber. I always wanted to hear others feedback on this one.

Imo in this order for the most part. Strongest to needing some improvement( for my self) pruning and removals are a tie. Im equally good at them small or large. Tight or open areas.
Small tree training. Im alright wih that.
Fruit trees for production. I can do it but i hate it.
Then large to medium reductions. I can use improvement. I think thats it

Oh i love huge spreding trees. Lots of fun to climb. Trim or rec climb.
With that said what is your. Opinion on me as a climber?

Latest posts

Back