ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

ANYONE HUNT ARROWHEADS?

USMC615

USMC615

Wood's Tougher Than Woodpecker Lips...
Here's a small handful of spear points/field points we've found over the years. I still have enough to literally make five dozen or more display cases. We were privileged to hunt a few thousand acres here in a rural county in mid-Ga several yrs ago, and turned our attention from deer hunting in the off season to arrowhead hunting. The fields were rotated between soybeans, cotton and peanuts and bottom plowed every year. As well, they would continuously 'weed' the fields with implements, bringing the points to the surface. All ya had to do was wait on a rain and hunt the same areas of the fields over and over. We literally found them by the thousands. My brothers/sisters/nephews, etc have several cases each. Of course we found our share of broken points as well...tips, bases, snapped in half stuff, etc, by the 5-gal bucket loads. We would take the grill, coolers of beer/water and make an all day affair out of it on the wknds. We knicknamed the two main fields, and their high ground hills that straddled probably a 30 acre plus, spring fed lake...the 'motherlode' and the 'otherlode.' The Robert M. Overstreet Indian Arrowheads Identification And Price Guide are excellent books on the classifications, styles, types of points. I have all of the editions over the years...had to pay dearly for the first edition as it went out of print many years ago.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

1Alpha1

1Alpha1

100% USDA certified abnormality-free.
Very nice collection indeed.

Some years ago, my wife and I were out riding dirt bikes. We stopped for a lunch break and were sitting out a dirt berm. I got to looking at the near-by rocks and saw one partially sticking out on end. Pulled it out, and immediately realized that it had a strange form to it.

It ended up being a stone utensil used to grind food material with (I think). It fits in the palm of your hand and fingers perfectly. I'm thinking Indians made and used it.

lone wolf

lone wolf

MS 200T King
Here's a small handful of spear points/field points we've found over the years. I still have enough to literally make five dozen or more display cases. We were privileged to hunt a few thousand acres here in a rural county in mid-Ga several yrs ago, and turned our attention from deer hunting in the off season to arrowhead hunting. The fields were rotated between soybeans, cotton and peanuts and bottom plowed every year. As well, they would continuously 'weed' the fields with implements, bringing the points to the surface. All ya had to do was wait on a rain and hunt the same areas of the fields over and over. We literally found them by the thousands. My brothers/sisters/nephews, etc have several cases each. Of course we found our share of broken points as well...tips, based, etc, by the 5-gal bucket loads. We would take the grill, coolers of beer/water and make an all day affair out of it on the wknds. We knicknamed the two main fields, and their high ground hills that straddled probably a 30 acre plus, spring fed lake...the 'motherlode' and the 'otherlode.' The Robert M. Overstreet Indisn Arrowheads Identification And Price Guide are excellent books on the classifications, styles, types of points. I have all of the editions over the years...had to pay dearly for the first edition as it went out of print many years ago.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk
Awesome.

USMC615

USMC615

Very nice collection indeed.

Some years ago, my wife and I were out riding dirt bikes. We stopped for a lunch break and were sitting out a dirt berm. I got to looking at the near-by rocks and saw one partially sticking out on end. Pulled it out, and immediately realized that it had a strange form to it.

It ended up being a stone utensil used to grind food material with (I think). It fits in the palm of your hand and fingers perfectly. I'm thinking Indians made and used it.
If in AZ 2123...your area is so rich with indigenous Native American artifacts. I have a friend, who literally added onto his house, just to make a showroom for all his artifacts. He's been from coast to coast hunting these things. And talk about arrowheads, true bird points (some still hafted to wooden shafts), tomahawks, scrapers, game balls, all implements Native Americans crafted...he's got the real deal stuff. It's mind awe'ing what he has. It takes a good evenings worth of time to look at it all. Finest collection I've ever seen.

USMC615

USMC615

Impressive. Never did any arrowhead hunting myself, but I hear this area is pretty good for it also.

I wonder if Arrowhead has any arrowheads?
Stache, you're in a very good area to hunt for artifacts. In and around the big rivers, its tributaries, etc. I met a gentleman yrs ago who was from your area...he had more fine points, scrapers, etc than you could shake a stick at. He moved here yrs ago with orders to Robins AFB, and retired here. He's gotta fine collection of arrowheads and implements.

USMC615

USMC615

All these we found, actually lie miles in between two major river arteries...the Ocmulgee River and the Flint River. The attraction with this Native American encampment, was the natural, spring-fed pond, which is a lake now, by any stretch of the word. These folks were as good as any common day folk figuring out things like fresh water, fish, wildlife. The whole sustainment package wrapped up into one. And these field points/spear points are not from the 'ol John Wayne cowboy era...they're literally thousands of years old. It's amazing you can hold something in your hand, that's as old as these points are. My son and daughter love finding these things, like I as well...the smile on their faces is a Kodak moment, no doubt. Hunting arrowheads in the fields is the absolute best way to 'escape' the workplace, noise, no mouths runnin, no soap opera BS. It's just you and the wide open spaces of nature and the breeze. It allows a man or anyone to just soul search. :)

USMC615

USMC615

What's some of the strangest arrow heads you've ever found, or are they pretty much all common?
If directed at me 2123, 99% of the points I've found are indigenous to the Native American Tribes of this area. There was certainly tribe trading, in arrowhead style points, beads, blankets, spices, etc. It was common place within their travels. I've got some points that are not the native 'style' so ta speak...some I believe as best as I could research them, came from the Southwest geographic areas. Again, these points are from thousands of yrs ago...they were some travelin folks I 'spose. I'm gonna case up a lot more points here soon...and I'll post those.

USMC615

USMC615

That is very cool USMC615. All I have are some broken points I found when I was a kid.
If you could come here to mid-Ga buddy... I'd promise ya a good weekends worth of point hunting. And you'd load your pockets, if not bags, up. We always use Crown Royal bags tied to our belt loops. If they're excellent points, they get wrapped in a little shot of toilet tissue...keeps them from banging around and chipping each other.

BWS-LLC

BWS-LLC

ArboristSite Guru
I haven't found any in our area. I was told a few years back from a arrowhead hunter that he used to find good stuff on my property back in the day when my wife's grandpa used to let him walk the river bed.

The property behind us has a decent size mound running north and south. I was told that that's a Indian burial ground. They say they used to bury the Indians while standing up...

Don't know if that's true or not.

A month back I was in NW Texas doing some shooting and the owners of the ranch had a real nice collection of them found on the ranch. We did find a bunch of chips and broken heads

svk

Saw Hoarder
Very nice collection.

My brother in law has found a few heads in the Leech Lake area. I also fish a lake that has an ancient quarry from the Indians. Although I've never seen it, I read it was recently rediscovered when a forest fire reopened the area from thick vegetation.

USMC615

USMC615

It's the most peaceful time guys, you get by yourself. If ya take your kids, wife, etc...it's the best solace a man can get. Again, no traffic, no noise, no mouth runnin...its total peace to just walk the fields. Talk about leaving your aggravating kinda job,... Kinda good.