ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

ANYONE HUNT ARROWHEADS?

wood4heat

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've got a really cool arrow/spear head given to me by my Grandpa. I add spear because it's around 4-1/2" long. I could be wrong.

It was given to him by a migrant worker named a Will Ryan when he was a young boy. Will found it along with an old musket while working on the farm my Grandpa grew up on.

As I was growing up I always asked to see it. Shortly before he died Grandpa told me he wanted me to have it. He told me what remembered about Will Ryan and gave me the arrow/spear head.

About two weeks ago there was a fire burning 1/4 mile from my house. I was on shift but texted my wife asking her to gather a few things up in case they evacuated us. She asked what I wanted and there were only four things. That arrow/spear head was one of them.

I'll post a pic of it when I get home.

stillhunter

stillhunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
That's a fine collection indeed. I have pounds of broken ones and a few dozen whole spear and arrowheads. I also have found axes, hammers, and grinding/pounding stones. I have dabbled in making flint heads myself but cannot understand how they could make such fine ones out of Quartz that is so hard and brittle. I'll try to post pics when I get a new camera.

92utownxh

92utownxh

ArboristSite Operative
That's very nice! I have several I've found where I live. It's up on a hill surrounded by fertile bottom land with a large creek. I have some perfect spear points and arrowheads. I took a Native American Folklore class in college here and talked to the professor about them. He said what I have is at least 2,000 years old. I was dumbfounded. I had no idea they were so old. It's amazing. I love finding them. Most were found where we had a big garden at one time. I'm sure there are tons more in undisturbed parts.

svk

Saw Hoarder
That's very nice! I have several I've found where I live. It's up on a hill surrounded by fertile bottom land with a large creek. I have some perfect spear points and arrowheads. I took a Native American Folklore class in college here and talked to the professor about them. He said what I have is at least 2,000 years old. I was dumbfounded. I had no idea they were so old. It's amazing. I love finding them. Most were found where we had a big garden at one time. I'm sure there are tons more in undisturbed parts.

I've always wondered why there are so many once you find an area that has them. You'd think these would be kept safe due to the work required to make them.

svk

Saw Hoarder
I've always thought Native American life was very interesting. They really had things figured out until the white man showed up with his vices and diseases.

About 30 miles north of my cabin there are several lakes with pictographs. Here's one of the more well known ones.

image.jpg

USMC615

USMC615

Wood's Tougher Than Woodpecker Lips...
Grandpas arrow or spear head? What do the experts think?

by wood4heat on Arboristsite.com
Nice...looks certainly like an Adena point by classification. The 'beaver tail' stem and not so pronounced shoulders are good signs of the style. Very nice spear point. Most common found in OH, KY, IN, WVA, PENN areas. Some are even found in the south to Northern FLA areas but not as prolific as the other states and areas mentioned.

wood4heat

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nice...looks certainly like an Adena point by classification. The 'beaver tail' stem and not so pronounced shoulders are good signs of the style. Very nice spear point. Most common found in OH, KY, IN, WVA, PENN areas. Some are even found in the south to Northern FLA areas but not as prolific as the other states and areas mentioned.

Thank for the info! The farm he grew up on was in SW Iowa. I've always wondered how it got left behind, now I'm wondering how it got there in the first place!

USMC615

USMC615

Thank for the info! The farm he grew up on was in SW Iowa. I've always wondered how it got left behind, now I'm wondering how it got there in the first place!
...lots of point types, ceremonial types, many other things were traded within different Native American tribes that were not warring with each other all those years ago. Some Adena style points I believe are local to the IA, MN, Dakotas areas but were a little different in how they were pressure flaked, shaped, basal notches, etc. I'd have to break out some of the books I've got get a better idea. There are literally hundreds of styles of points from the various cultures from those time eras.

stillhunter

stillhunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've always wondered why there are so many once you find an area that has them. You'd think these would be kept safe due to the work required to make them.

My understanding is where there are many artifacts, there was a village at that spot. I recall a campsite was found as a 4 lane road was constructed near (a few hundred yards) the Neuse river and Falls lake in Wake Forest N.C. The work was halted for several months while the state archeologists dug up the site. They found a few fire pits that were 8 or 10' deep from top to bottom and I think they said 14,000 years old or used for that much time. I saw the holes they dug and was astounded at the depth in the ground. Like others I have seen several farm fields where flint and quartz points can be found easily each time the field is plowed and generally concentrated in small areas less than an acre. I found a lot of my artifacts while land surveying/ staking new construction. Typically any grading/deforesting near large streams/floodplains and fertile soils would turn up stuff. If I spotted flint I would keep my eyes peeled for more. I often returned to the sites while off work and found many artifacts. I also have some shards of pottery I also found. One piece is imprinted w woven grass/reeds. I was told they would make a woven basket, line it w clay to make a vessel and fire it to bake the clay. The baskets allowed them to construct large containers w minimal thickness and light weight. I've also heard that the tribes moved w the seasons and or availability of game/forage but returned to the same spots/camps again and again as they roamed. I find it remarkable that Flint and other minerals made into tools/arrowheads are found far away from where it is found naturally. These people traveled long distances and also must have traded w other tribes for things they had in abundance in their different areas.

USMC615

USMC615

Was able to get back to my main fields, the 'Motherlode' and the 'Otherlode' a couple of weeks ago...son and I went and found a few more decent points to add to the collection. Most are banged up, the one in the center is pretty decent...busted on his backside, but is in pretty decent shape. Definitely case material. They had just turned peanuts in the two fields...the flint and points were literally laying on top for the pickings. We found ten times this amount in what would've been, busted tips and bases. Snapped in half due to the tractors...but without 'em, ya find nothing. Just the way it goes.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
Slow p actually brought up a valid point though as there are arrow head police I hear. Question for anyone if you found a gold nugget laying on the ground on federal land would u leave it or pick it up :surprised3:

USMC615

USMC615

Slow p actually brought up a valid point though as there are arrow head police I hear. Question for anyone if you found a gold nugget laying on the ground on federal land would u leave it or pick it up :surprised3:
The Fed boys will just hafta waterboard me to find out exactly where the private land 'Motherlode'and 'Otherlode' fields are, lol.