ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

ANYONE HUNT ARROWHEADS?

Stihlofadeal64

Stihlofadeal64

Addicted to ArboristSite
I haven't hunted any arrow heads, but I've tried shooting them golfs. They are easy shooting but hard skinning. No wonder those fellars are so skinny that shot them golfs. Why a fellar like me would have to have a 5 gallon bucket to get a meal off of them, and it would take me forever to skin the dag-gone things. :innocent:

stillhunter

stillhunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Right lol but if i find one while i'm deer hunting here's my message to big brother:****you:

I found a snow white broken Quartz arrowhead years ago and put it in my pocket, an hour or so later I shot a deer. I figured the stone gave me luck so I carried it with me the next time I went hunting.....and the next etc. Apparently the luck was a 1 time kinda luck ;)

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
I found a snow white broken Quartz arrowhead years ago and put it in my pocket, an hour or so later I shot a deer. I figured the stone gave me luck so I carried it with me the next time I went hunting.....and the next etc. Apparently the luck was a 1 time kinda luck ;)
I'm working on the black foot definition of bowhunter, who believed you was not a hunter until you could reach the fletch after shooting the animal !

Attachments

• gobbler 2015.jpg
    gobbler 2015.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 12
USMC615

USMC615

Wood's Tougher Than Woodpecker Lips...
Thanks 10 mile walk, lol public ground turkey's are tough, I cheated with the excaliber crossbow!

Ol' toms can be tough to hunt. Got a few fans/beard/spur mounts. Would like a full in-flight mount to add to the walls, but man they get pricey. We generally coax 'em off the roost calling 'em then the decoys take over. :D

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
Ol' toms can be tough to hunt. Got a few fans/beard/spur mounts. Would like a full in-flight mount to add to the walls, but man they get pricey. We generally coax 'em off the roost calling 'em then the decoys take over. :D
This one gobbled and strutted in, first gobble was 500 yards second at about a 100 then i heard drumming and finally he appeared full strut! My best I took with my compound bow but it adds a problem drawing you know!

USMC615

USMC615

This one gobbled and strutted in, first gobble was 500 yards second at about a 100 then i heard drumming and finally he appeared full strut! My best I took with my compound bow but it adds a problem drawing you know!
It's amazing the ground they can cover...next thing you know, they're on top of you outta nowhere. Especially a single tom.

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
This one gobbled and strutted in, first gobble was 500 yards second at about a 100 then i heard drumming and finally he appeared full strut!
It's amazing the ground they can cover...next thing you know, they're on top of you outta nowhere. Especially a single tom.
They are amazing finicky creatures, one day shutmouth next day gobbling what i hate is gobbling going away with hens but I have still won that battle with patience. I listened to an old man who told me if they like your call and gobbled just wait and call every once in a while, they will come after hens set nest and his advice was right on several occasions!

USMC615

USMC615

They are amazing finicky creatures, one day shutmouth next day gobbling what i hate is gobbling going away with hens but I have still won that battle with patience. I listened to an old man who told me if they like your call and gobbled just wait and call every once in a while, they will come after hens set nest and his advice was right on several occasions!

Yep...the ol' man is absolutely correct. Too many folks like to call way too much. You'd think they'd wear the slate slam off a good call...or wear out a diaphragm as well. Less calling is always better, especially with decoys out.

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
Yep...the ol' man is absolutely correct. Too many folks like to call way too much. You'd think they'd wear the slate slam off a good call...or wear out a diaphragm as well. Less calling is always better, especially with decoys out.
Yes and patience is almost always a virtue in hunting critters the old tom or buck did not get long in the beard or horn by being stupid :)

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
It is amazing what is in the dirt.
Walk around in a field after bottom plowing it Or after a good rain.
Sandbars have given up some neat stuff too.

Turkeys like a plowed field after a rain, had 14 feeding in a misting rain last week.
Yes lol, well unfortunately I never had it easy :) The only thing that grows here is big trees and stone lol mountain hunting! Well large hills anyway! So for me its a lonely ridge top 2 miles from nearest road to reach birds not already call shy! But I can't complain because public ground hones your skills considerably. I also have seen several turkeys out there tripping over their beards hehehe. The bird in that picture had average 11 inch and 1 1/4 spurs but i have called in a few limb hangers and missed a triple bearded turkey I would have paid too mount!