Anyone know anything about Texas Forestry liscense plates?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamT1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I bought a dump truck. (F350 with dump bed) I see there is an option for Forestry tags. What I can’t find is what the difference is in those and regular Texas plates. I’ve never run farm plates on any vehicles In a long time because we’ve had a few troopers around that would pester you if they thought you weren’t doing sole farming activity. (Even though the plates are the same price?) not worried about the sales tax or anything, this is a cheapo rig so that’s no biggie.

This truck will be used just for hauling wood 99.9%. No reason to run around in a gas guzzler. Any non forestry activity would be some very occasional farm stuff like a load of feed or maybe some rock for the driveway, pull a seed cart since it has hydraulics. Nothing often or traveling anywhere it would be an issue to even not have a tag. Does a forestry plate get me anything? Tag office has no clue, but can print me the papers to fill out no problem. Maybe ask the local DOT guy? I’ve never seen a forestry plate around here though.

Forestry tags may very well, and sound like to me at least after reading (https://www.txdmv.gov/motor-carriers/commercial-fleet-registration/forestry-registration), be for a commercial operation. It doesn’t appear to get you out of a CDL or get you a tax break, but I would definitely check with a DOT person knowledgable about motor carrier law and regulations. It does state that the operator/owner is registering the vehicle to solely transport forest products, however.

KY has farm tags that mostly get you out of having a CDL for big trucks and except you from certain DOT regs. I was never pulled over, ever, even as a 16 year old in the old Kenny with a dump trailer full of shot rock when we built our Harrod’s Creek crossing. :)

Latest posts

Back