Anyone know what kind of wood this is

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyrob

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
It has been down quite awhile and had no bark or limbs on it. It is hard and has no smell but splits with a good solid hit or two or three. Thanks for any info.IMG_0867.JPG

Cherry does emit a sweet, pleasing odour when split, cut or hit, no matter how long it has been on the ground.

I know it's not walnut. It has no smell at all so not sure about cherry. The log had a lot of knots on it as did several shagbark hickories that were near it. That's what I thought it was but not sure. There is pics of hickory on the net that looks like it but without any bark to go by, I am not sure. I will try and post a more pics tonight of other pieces. Thanks for the responses.

Here's a few more pics. The cracks showed up today after being in my truck all day. The knot looking things are what is on several of the shagbark hickories where I cut this wood. That is why I thought it was hickory. The one pic shows what may be what's left of the bark but not sure.

IMG_0867.JPG IMG_0877.JPG IMG_0878.JPG IMG_0879.JPG

I agree with red maple although in its current state with no bark or leaves a positive ID is difficult.

One thing's for sure. It is firewood.

I said cherry first but it lacks pitch inclusions. I have seen cherry without them if some of the other pieces have them I still say cherry .
If they don't then I'm thinking some kind of maple but not really sure given age/weathering.
Chad

Back