Anyone know where the snap ring goes on this 038 clutch rim sprocket?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

777funk

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just rim drived my 038 and this kit has me baffled. It doesn't look like there's a place for a snap ring. The E clip goes on the shaft end no problem. But what are the two snap rings for?

I installed both big washers over the rim sprocket and there is still 0.030" of end play.

Also the big washer is on rim sprocket side (second to last piece under the E clip and its hole diameter is a little big allowing for play radially (sloppy fit to the shaft).

I have the following installed in this order:
Cage bearing
Drum
Oiler gear
Clutch / oiler cover plate housing (stihl white)
Sprocket tooth cover (fits over the star)
Rim sprocket (8 tooth)
Big washer
Small washer
E clip

Without the big washer, there's enough end play that I fear the sprocket tooth cover will come off the teeth and spin.

Am I missing something? Seems like the two big snap rings in the kit should be used but from what I can see, they don't fit anywhere.

Attachments

• s-l400 (1).jpg
    s-l400 (1).jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 15
Not super familiar with that model, but I'm pretty sure all that used is the E-clip at bottom right of picture

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

2516294d41545214b0937c1b2632c131.jpg

The original (non rim drive - spur drive sprocket) does have the groove for the snap ring. The new one (rim drive) does not have a groove for it. I will check again, but pretty sure there's no groove. This must be a manufacturing problem.

EDIT: It looks like the snap rings are just the wrong size. There's a groove for a snap ring just below the rim sprocket and above the pump drive gear (between the two). However, it's not the right sized ring included with the kit. I blame it on China.

20191009_201637-jpg.764806

20191009_201637_Zoom.jpg

Back