Anyone running a bell firewood processor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbercreek

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all,
Thinking of upgrading the wood processor, but ive come to the conclusion you should run, or see the one your looking to buy,run before you buy.
Currently running a dyna sc-16.
Its not a bad little processor.
BUT, the saw opening is starting to drive me crazy.
Basically, the log has to fit thru this stupid little opening, or you cant saw it.
Processor is designed for 8-12" wood not 16-18" oak.
Also running out of splitting power on the monster rounds with the 4 way wedge on. Dont even think of running the 6 with oak.
So im curious, looking at the big processors with slashers,
The top 3 are cord king, bell, and crd.
The crd is cheapest, but requires tinkering all the time and a good welder, ive kinda.ruled this one out.
I think the bell looks built the best, their 4000 and 8000 series with the new log positining rollers and sail looks to be the best.
Anyone running one with the elite wedge? Will it handle knotty oak?
All these guys are so hung up.on speed, im not.really seeing a massive splitter piston on any of them.
Anyone in RI or Ct i could come watch u process a few cords?

I have run a cord king in the past. Looks to me like the bell took the CC design and solved a lot of the design flaws. Don’t know what one would cost but you would need a lot of cordwood to keep one busy or make a profit.

Contact bell and see if there is one in your area you can go and see in operation. If you are really serious about a big processor but don’t want to jump in with both feet, you should also be able to lease a machine for a year or two. It might cost a bit more but it could be worth it to find out if this machine is really something that fits your operations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25MkEIq9y3M

I purchased a bells 4000 this past April. Had been using a japa for about 12 years with no issues but was unable to keep up to demand as well as handle the larger logs coming in the loads. Bells works flawlessly with plenty of power. Only issue is keeping it fed with logs. After seeing a competitors machine in action then seeing the bells it was an easy decision and cost was comparable. I went to the plant for a training session so to speak before it was put on the semi for its trip west.

The Cord King is the most expensive. It's about $25k more than the Bells 8000 if optioned out the same.

I don't like how they are stupid tall, makes it hard to handle the logs, both with skid steer and by hand if needing to untangle them a bit. The rubber belt sucks. It's a constant headache to keep tension ed and rain or cold effects that. Plus the wood slips. A chain and paddle is better for wood. Only minor downside is that it's more noisy.

The Bells 8000 is about $110k, 6000 is about 95k with a cab. These are without conveyors too. A 24ft conveyor is about 10k.

The Elite was closer to 150k.

Talk to Bells, they'll get you the info you need. I priced them out a few months ago. Brentt was the guy I talked to.

Would be nice, but I just can't make the numbers work with how much wood we move. Would need to move in the area of at least 800-1000 cords a year a month to be able to really justify it. I do maybe half that with a Blockbuster 15-20.

Think about it, 100k would be a payment of around $2100 a month.

As far as not looking like they have power to split? I dunno about that. They are in the 55-60 ton area. The 8000 has a 8" ram I think. The rod is like 6.5" or 7"

The Cord King is the most expensive. It's about $25k more than the Bells 8000 if optioned out the same.

I don't like how they are stupid tall, makes it hard to handle the logs, both with skid steer and by hand if needing to untangle them a bit. The rubber belt sucks. It's a constant headache to keep tension ed and rain or cold effects that. Plus the wood slips. A chain and paddle is better for wood. Only minor downside is that it's more noisy.

The Bells 8000 is about $110k, 6000 is about 95k with a cab. These are without conveyors too. A 24ft conveyor is about 10k.

Talk to Bells, they'll get you the info you need. I priced them out a few months ago. Brentt was the guy I talked to.

Would be nice, but I just can't make the numbers work with how much wood we move. Would need to move in the area of at least 800-1000 cords a year a month to be able to really justify it. I do maybe half that with a Blockbuster 15-20.

As far as not looking like they have power to split? I dunno about that. They are in the 55-60 ton area. The 8000 has a 8" ram I think. The rod is like 6.5" or 7"

Sorry if I’m late to the party. I’ve been using a bell 6000 to put up a few hundred cord of firewood for the last few years. Overall quite happy and impressed with performance. I’d be more than happy to share anything I know about it.

Back