Anyone tried the 27' pole saw from Accu-Measure?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Reaction score
If anyone has tried the extendable light weight pole saw from Accu-Measure I would be interested in any feed back you may have. The price seems good for its length but I'm wondering if it would hold up for more than a few uses? It seems like a possible alternative to a commercial type pole saw and may be useful to set pull lines for take downs.

I'd like to hear more on this one. I Googled it and it seems too good to be tru. Seems something that long and that light would bend in half with the force of sawing. I'd like to try one, Joe.

Well the $150 price is very attractive and I suppose for a homeowner if they could solve one "problem" it would probably pay for itself. However, I would only be interested in it if it was durable enough for multiple uses. So I am thinking someone must have tried this thing and maybe they'll chime in.

I have a 7m (23feet) extension pole for painting that I've bolted a hayauchi head to. I used it mainly because I used to do a lot of painting and I had the pole, it drops down to 3.5m and extends out to anything in between. It's aluminum and fairly light, it wasnt cheap as its a pro grade pole.

At the shorter end, its very rigid and you can really lay in on it. I've been using it a few months now and no damage done. At the fully extended end, it flexes. You can still get some meaningful work done with it, because the hayauchi head is so decent. I didnt want to shell out the $$$ for the silky poles. I have a ht101 as well, and I find the hayauchi on a pole is more precise and gives the 101 a real run for its money.

Im thinking of how I can make something like this and still be able to have it on the pole with the saw and not be in the way.

Arborlink - Jameson Wire Raiser

Quite often I use my pole saw for pulling down hangers and snapping off deadwood. At the moment I just use the saw blade for this - its grabby enough to do the job, but a hook would be handy :) The upwards pointing hooks could also be handy for sending things up. I think all those hooks would get caught up in branches while you're trying to cut though.

Shaun

We also use an HT101 and it was well worth the money. For your paint pole, was that sourced from a paint supply? And how did its price compare with the pole saw in the post?

we have a few HT101's, but the crew seems to be pretty rough on them. They end up travelling in the back of the truck. I think through some combination of slight bends in the main shaft housing, a bit of dirt getting inside, and the springs rusting a little, the springs and spacers in between each spring stop sliding properly. This causes the drive shaft to not engage the head, then they dont work.

I'm going to be having a look at them this week, trying to salvage hopefully at least one out of the 3. They are good, but pricey compared to the life. You have to run the mega ultra safety chain on them for safety reasons too, so they dont cut as well as they could. Plus they are heavy. I think I'm going to end up locking the shafts somehow, maybe with a bearing.

The paint pole I got for a big painting job, 3 stories with no access. I cant remember exactly how much it was, but it was $$$. I do remember having ticker shock, I'm sure it was over $200, maybe over $300. Definitely not a competitor price wise with other stuff, probably similar. I just used it because I only bought it for that job and it hadn't seen any use in a couple of years. Annoyingly, the hayauchi head has an oval section on it. I managed to get it on, and used a couple of bolts to secure it. It comes with a scabbard which is handy. Besides the extra reach, I find that I just prefer the pole saw to the ht101. Its lighter, faster on most work (big branches faster on 101 though), silent, uses no fuel, doesnt need starting or servicing, less messy, more precise, and less fatiguing. I'll be interested to see how the hayauchi stacks up against the 101 in the life of the blade vs the cost, but at $130 for the hayauchi head it doesnt really need to last that long to be comparable price wise.

Shaun

I've used the Accu-Measure Pole... To Destruction

If anyone has tried the extendable light weight pole saw from Accu-Measure I would be interested in any feed back you may have. The price seems good for its length but I'm wondering if it would hold up for more than a few uses? It seems like a possible alternative to a commercial type pole saw and may be useful to set pull lines for take downs.

I bought one of those poles primarily for use as a set pole for my climbing line. I never did get to use it as a pole saw because one of my groundies bent it on the first day.

I straightened it out a few times, but once kinked, it was never strong enough to saw with, and eventually it literally folded and that was that.

I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy the Silky 21' pole saw for my line setter.

I'm getting a 21'

No, but I did catch the show at Barnum and Bailey.:msp_biggrin: The ring master announces : " And now ARBOMAN will perform the death defing feat of cutting the branch with a 27 foot long pole saw! That's right folks! Its thrills and chills as ARBOMAN works his polesaw without a net! Step right this way!"

That is a long ####ing pole saw and if you can do it on a unicycle you might have something.

Last edited:
yea, i had one. piece of junk when extended. bends like a pretzel, bounces all over the place. save your money and get something else. I found a stackable aluminum pole design that reaches 30' without flexing. best one i ever bought.

If you are going to do that why not Jameson 6' pole sections? Put as many sections together as you think you can handle with theirs or another manufacturer's saw head. If you break or damage it you have only lost a section. I believe they also make a solid fiberglass version.

I'd like to hear more on this one. I Googled it and it seems too good to be tru. Seems something that long and that light would bend in half with the force of sawing. I'd like to try one, Joe.
zhao3.jpg
zhao2.jpg
zhao4.jpg

you will need 6 jamison poles to get to the same height as the accu does, and, it will produce the same result. too much flex and pole bounce in fiberglass models at that height, regardless of who makes them. The solid ones offer nothing for strength at the accu height. I've been doing this for 30 years, trust me, these new interlocking aluminum poles are the way to go. I was skeptical at first, but within 10 minutes I realized the value of this system.

made a decision

Well, not being one to rush into something, I finally decided to go with the Marvin system. I bought 3 six foot poles, one 4 foot pole and a saw head and pruner head. I unpacked it and it is still in the house. So I have not tried it yet. I do have a couple branches I need to clear from the corner of the house and also from the guy wires of my ham radio tower. I do a trimming around residences so the aluminum poles in the vicinity of power lines has me concerned... I have not seen the sectional aluminum poles. Who makes them and where are they sold?

the system i bought had a fiberglass pole used as the bottom handle pole for around wires. Then I stack each pole as necessary for additional height. I searched google for "long pole saw" and the company was either 1st or 2nd on the page, american tree something or other. Worth checking out for sure. :D

my mistake, 5 poles. you lose 6" per pole @5 poles deducting 30" off of 30ft. (5 @ 6' = 30) So 5 poles will equal the accu and will bend just like the accu. :D

Well, I looked at the website at the aluminum poles. If I had known about those a week ago, I may have gone that route. However, already have the Marvin set up so will go forward with that.

Back