Anyone Tried the STICKLER?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conjoe

Reaction score
I thought this might work nice -
media.cfm
or http://www.thestickler.com/index.cfm And they can go for like 200 Bucks on ebay! Has anyone tried this or heard anything about them? :popcorn:

They don't make an adapter for my F-450 ,so I will pass. Looks like something from Road Worriers or maybe Madonna.Says it sucks the knots out-interesting imagination.Oh ya,no info on what size file to sharpen with.:dizzy: :) :) :jawdrop: :clap:

I would have a problem with jacking the truck up and getting the tires spinning. There has to be jerking around and the jack falls and off goes the truck.

Just doesn't seem to safe in my mind.

Looks like the ground is used to keep the log from spinning, that was my biggest concern, although in the video it looks like the thing is spinning backwards - maybe an optical illusion like the wagon wheels in the old cowboy movies.

If the vehicle is on a jack stand and the wheels securely blocked, it should be safe as long as you don't have a limited-slip rear end - then both rear wheels would have to be off the ground and it should still work. We used to balance tires this way. Couldn't use an AWD vehicle unless all four wheels were off the ground.

Sure as hell wouldn't want to accidently lean or bump against it with any part of your body. Even getting your clothing caught by it could be trouble. I'll pass!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Go do the search on this!!

Somewhere in the archives is a couple of really facinating threads on this thing. They have made them for years. Might be some brave souls that would enjoy splitting this way. Not me.

As for splitting a cord an hour with it, sure. I have a little homemade model that can do that. Safely.

-Pat

Search for screw type splitter, we just had a thread not even a month ago. VERY VERY VERY DANGEROUS!!!!!
Andy

Made my own

I was curious as to how well this device works, so being a machinist, I made my own. I can say that it works very well, and quickly. There are some things that should be noted though, this type of splitter needs to be treated like a live pto shaft, or an engine lathe, never wear loose clothing, or be in a hurry. That being said, it is very simple to use, and I have been able to split logs that many of the smaller hydraulic splitters may have difficulty with. As far as setup, I haul all my rounds to a vehicle I have designated to be the "splitter" that way I don't have to keep changing the wheel. I can easily split a cord an hour, but if I get everything setup with someone to line up rounds, I can get just about a cord and a half an hour. It really is a slick little invention.
If you have any questions drop me a line

Joe

My brother in law has a very similar device that fits on the front of an old John Deere garden tractor, and runs off of a belt. Fortunately, there is an engagement lever right there next to the cone. Works pretty slick.

That looks a little (lot) safer with the log stop verses using the ground to stop the log! At least you won't be chasing you're car:hmm3grin2orange:
Andy

I am surprised to see it works! I don't think you "have" to mount it to a automobile. It can be done other ways.

notahacker said:
I am surprised to see it works! I don't think you "have" to mount it to a automobile. It can be done other ways.

Oh it works, it works very well, just don't use knoted or twisted wood. Otherwise you go for a ride. Been there, done that, don't want to do it again!!
Andy

Them things are death on a stick! Different companys have been making variations of these for 50-60 years and mostly been sued out of buisiness.

Seems like it would take a heck of a lotta gas to use.:bang:

I can just here the neighbors. "Red Green" is splitting logs again.:hmm3grin2orange:

Twisted wood

I routinely split elm and Box elder...my "screwy" splitter handles them very well. When using this type of splitter it is imperative to be careful, but it sure does get results. When I made mine, I just case hardened the threads and haven't needed to sharpen it yet, made mine for a 7/32 file. The next splitter I get will be another homemade jobby, like the unicorn splitters designed to run on the pto of a tractor.

Joe

well, here ya go.............uncle bought one, about 1970.

i cut with him, he's all excited about this contraption.

he's gotta 3/4 ton something, we get'r all rigged up, no easy task, ya understand.

he stuffs the first buck on sideways, bucks the 3/4 ton something right off the jack and deep into the mud.

REALLY fun day from there on out..................

Back