Anyone use An MS 310 with 28" bar for felling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonzoso

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, New guy here. I've owned my property for 10 years and have felled and cut firewood with my MS 310 with a 20" bar, and it has served me well. I have a few trees on the property in excess of 40" that I've been thinking of taking down. One in particular is a Black locust that is right next to the house. It needs to go because it has been infested with carpenter ants and I want to keep them away from the Hemlock siding. It also has 3 or 4 trunks splitting off the main trunk one of which is dying. I can't see the expense of buying a larger saw for a couple of trees but I think the 20" bar is too short. Has anyone ever run a 28" bar on this size saw for these size trees. I know the recommended bar is 20" and you could buy the saw with a 25" bar. I was considering using a skip tooth chain with a 28" bar. Appreciate your comments.

Hi all, New guy here. I've owned my property for 10 years and have felled and cut firewood with my MS 310 with a 20" bar, and it has served me well. I have a few trees on the property in excess of 40" that I've been thinking of taking down. One in particular is a Black locust that is right next to the house. It needs to go because it has been infested with carpenter ants and I want to keep them away from the Hemlock siding. It also has 3 or 4 trunks splitting off the main trunk one of which is dying. I can't see the expense of buying a larger saw for a couple of trees but I think the 20" bar is too short. Has anyone ever run a 28" bar on this size saw for these size trees. I know the recommended bar is 20" and you could buy the saw with a 25" bar. I was considering using a skip tooth chain with a 28" bar. Appreciate your comments.

I bought mine and asked the dealer what the longest bar was recommended. 24". I bought it that way and added a 20". Cut my firewood with it for around 20 years. Never tried a 28" but I did take down a lot of trees that were 30" plus with it. Still hve that saw but it is old and tired. I do take it out occasionally for old times sake.

I bought mine and asked the dealer what the longest bar was recommended. 24". I bought it that way and added a 20". Cut my firewood with it for around 20 years. Never tried a 28" but I did take down a lot of trees that were 30" plus with it. Still hve that saw but it is old and tired. I do take it out occasionally for old times sake.
Thanks for the reply turnkey, How'd that 24" bar work out for you.

Thanks for the input folks. Like I said, only need it for 3 or 4 trees. I think i'll try it. I got plenty of time.

Just make sure these are trees that can tolerate a slower cut speed. One of the things that is overlooked oftentimes is the need to cut at a certain pace when felling, particularly with leaners or trees that are partially hollow, in order to safely put a tree down. My preference on these sorts has always been a shorter bar with a bigger powerhead, combined with judicious use of wedges, plunge cuts, cutting from both sides, setting a hinge and trigger, and so forth. Your trees may not implicate these concerns, but it is at least something to consider.

Thanks for the input folks. Like I said, only need it for 3 or 4 trees. I think i'll try it. I got plenty of time.
That saw is good at 20", but a 24" will do for a few felling cuts.
The reason that the carpenter ants are in the tree is that the tree is dying and full of soft rotting wood which they like to easily chew out cavities for their nests.
Be careful felling that one.
Good luck and post some pics.

That saw is good at 20", but a 24" will do for a few felling cuts.
The reason that the carpenter ants are in the tree is that the tree is dying and full of soft rotting wood which they like to easily chew out cavities for their nests.
Be careful felling that one.
Good luck and post some pics.
Exactly as you said. Finally got to it. Used a 24" bar. Worked well. When I cut the notch I could determine the rotted core. Took it slow and easy and finessed every cut. Fell like a solid tree. That thing was an accident waiting to happen in a big storm. Glad it's down.

Attachments

• IMG_0436.JPG
    IMG_0436.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0459.JPG
    IMG_0459.JPG
    875.6 KB · Views: 19
That’s a massive locust. Did you wedge that?
I tried, but ran out of wedges trying to double up and triple up. couldn't get enough lean. Luckly we tied a cable up the trunk to secure it from any lean toward the house. with the wedges in place just needed a little pull on that cable to tip her over. Was really sweating it with, the possible splitting that trunk with the pull, luckily it just needed a little nudge.

Latest posts

Back