Anyone use archer chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like that would be hard to find an ideal location to mount?

The breaker usually is ideal with several feet on the left and a few feet on the right of it. The spinning on the edge.
The spinner handles being backward would be screwy, but that might just be because I'm used to an Oregon one.
It's a little different, no doubt. I wouldn't use one for production. The nice thing about it is the small amount of space it requires

Seems like that would be hard to find an ideal location to mount?

The breaker usually is ideal with several feet on the left and a few feet on the right of it. The spinning on the edge.
The spinner handles being backward would be screwy, but that might just be because I'm used to an Oregon one.
Mine is mounted to a board that I just chuck up in my swivel vise. I break the chain, then spin the whole vice to use the spinner.

I didn’t like the chain at first, but after you sharpen it a couple times and it’s not so dang wide it seems to work well. I’ve not had the stretch isssues with it that used to be reported a lot. Running 3/8 .050 full chiesel on a modified 440. Cutting dead mesquite.

I have a couple bars I thought I liked but the one that has the most wood on it is only lasting 1/2 of what an Oregon does before the groove is worn out too wide. But then again it’s half the price so probably not a bad buy anyway

So at this point I’ll keep buying the archer chain and buy Oregon pro lite bars. Will see how the archer bar on my 288 lasts, it throws an excessive amount of oil for an 18”.

Found the full skip 3/8 .063 in round ground.tested It today and it cut pretty good. It took 4 passes to clean up the cutter and wasn’t even used. Planning on filing it tomorrow since I think it needs it and see if it throws some good chips. My round ground chain on my 171 lasts forever. I’ve only touched that chain up 1 time lol on like 15 tank fulls. I’m hoping this chain will stay sharp but will see. I was going through 2 big fir rounds today. Little over the bar width and it was pulling good, just playing testing out before the real deal on a big piece of wood, hopefully a big oak tree or mill some nice woodAECCFF83-C3D8-4584-86A9-3BBC3820112D.jpeg 60AEF6CF-98CB-419D-88C9-19DB407A0B2E.jpeg782C5441-01D5-4E47-9C7F-7E791DA9BE1A.jpeg Kota playing around. Litte guy chewed on my tuning screw driver

I've been running it for a couple month's.
I'm sticking with it
It's holding up equally to Oregon,carlton and stihl
I'm only running 3/8 24" .50 and i got a deal on .58 gauge 24" tsumura bar's
So i stocked up on .58 still 13.21 per loop shipped.
.50 went up it is around 16.00 a loop now.20190403_181217.jpg
5 tanks cutting hardwood on this one.

I've been running it for a couple month's.
I'm sticking with it
It's holding up equally to Oregon,carlton and stihl
I'm only running 3/8 24" .50 and i got a deal on .58 gauge 24" tsumura bar's
So i stocked up on .58 still 13.21 per loop shipped.
.50 went up it is around 16.00 a loop now.View attachment 732111
5 tanks cutting hardwood on this one.
5 tanks on one chain without sharpening?

Seems good I just bought a couple semi skip full chisel 81dl for 33$ for the pair. I have used the smaller s52-62 chain with no issue. But for tricky or risky cutting I throw Oregon on the saw.

I have put a few tanks of gas thru on some Chinese and forester chain on a cs-400. That chain looks rusty but I could be wrong I never cut mesquite before. I'm usually clearing brush and bucking trees under 10". I just run the chain for the half a day or so of work which includes some dirt cuts. Then I throw the chain in the scrap bin.

I have some archer chain I will run it on mixed hard and soft woods. Popple oak maple and misc brush. I will post an update when I can. I have had the red box homeowner Oregon chain be great or complete junk. I believe the red box stuff is chinese. I just got some 81dl jgx style I can't wait to try and test.

Back