Anyone use knuckle boom type crane trucks for tree work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawk910

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the knuckle boom type crane trucks for tree work? Seems the height and weight capacity is limited, but sure does look like they would be handy in storm work. Also could really utilize the bed that most of them come mounted on for hauling logs and long limbs. Just looking for some input on these units.

20171117_103917_Film3.jpg 20171117_101156_Film3.jpg I also run a effer kboom crane. Its more versatile than a stick crane. However stick cranes generally have more lifting capacity then kbooms. Main reason i went with a kboom was to have the ability to run a mecanil saw on the end. Its a game changer. I took this big oak by myself with just my nephew as a ground guy. No more large crew needed..

View attachment 620030 My buddy runs a very large effer knuckleboom. His capacity is insane. Can still pickup a 1k pounds 100' away. He would never go back to a stick crane. That said, a stick crane is gonna be cheaper and easier to find used. My buddy has 450k or so in his setup.
What model effer does your buddy have? Looks nice

I never saw them at all in Western WA, but it seems that just about every tree service around here (WI) is running one. I've seen several that skip the chipper altogether and just run a knuckle boom truck.

I never saw them at all in Western WA, but it seems that just about every tree service around here (WI) is running one. I've seen several that skip the chipper altogether and just run a knuckle boom truck.

I don’t currently run a chipper either. I run two trucks, two dump trailers, and a bobcat. I would love to replace one of the trucks and trailers with one of these.

I think a kboom is better suited for tree work. You need little space to unfold it, you can work under obstacles, you can equip it with a bucket, a grapplesaw, clam shell, hook, etc.
With the grapplesaw equipped you have amazing control, you reduce risk, payroll, and workers comp.
I can go on and on and on...
Get one. You won't be disappointed.

I worked for a guy who had one. It was great. We used it all the time. Even simple things like lifting a stump grinder or small chipper into a back yard, or using a cargo net to lift wood out of a back yard into a truck. We used it to put the climber in a tree. It was only 55ft but that was good enough for 75% of our removals.

Latest posts

Back