Anyone used a chainsaw sharpener to sharpen a bandsaw blade.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't sharpen those mate, you buy a new band blade for it.
Not that expensive, not a big deal. If you just use it for wood it should last quite some time.
If it worries you deliver the old one to the metal recycling and it will eventually do some good anyway.

What size blades are you talking about? There are special grinders for sharpening the large bandsaw blades used for milling. I have no experience with them, but have seen posts in several forums about them. Never heard of a chainsaw grinder being used, although, there are some attachments for sharpening hedge trimmer blades.

Philbert

It's possible, safer and easier, to touch up a small BS blade with a dremel grinding week a few times before the whole tooth needs reshaping. I haven't done it myself but one of my friends does it fairly regularly before he throw the bands away. He just kisses the top of the tooth with the Dremel grinding wheel to re-establish the tooth point.

For the BS mill at the tree loppers yard we have this Dinasaw sharpener.

Been doing it for years. I fact I’ve used the same 20 or so blades for at least 5 years now. Simple modification. Band gets turned inside out for sharpening. I reset it teeth offsets as needed as well.
7f290249ec46f30e65512f2127a41cf5.jpg
862dc3d2ebbfb944c6f6dc57aab53908.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Been doing it for years. I fact I’ve used the same 20 or so blades for at least 5 years now. Simple modification. Band gets turned inside out for sharpening. I reset it teeth offsets as needed as well.
7f290249ec46f30e65512f2127a41cf5.jpg
862dc3d2ebbfb944c6f6dc57aab53908.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You have to turn it inside out to get the teeth aimed the proper direction to fit the chainsaw sharpener?

Back