ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Anyone used Little Giant Xtreme or Quantum ladders?

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by dsell, Sep 20, 2016.

1. dsell

dsell Addicted to ArboristSite

Has anyone used Little Giant Xtreme or Quantum ladders? I can't find any videos of these newer models M26 being used in real life as an extension ladder. I'm sure it's great in any other configuration, but I wonder how strong it is when it's extended out 23 ft. I'd like to use it to clean my chimney. I currently have to get on top of the chimney and would prefer to stay on a ladder, I think. At least I'd like to try it. There are videos of the older models which seem to have a lot of slop in the hinge. The two I referenced have 4 pins on the hinges verses the two and three in the utube videos. It's $600 with tax.

treetopguy2028 and SeMoTony like this.
  2. CaseyForrest

CaseyForrest I am NOT a tree freak.

Can you clean it from the bottom up? I do both of mine from inside with flexible rods and a bristle brush on the end of my drill.

sent from a field

SeMoTony likes this.
  3. dsell

My insert has an offset adaptor on top of the stove and then the liner snakes around the old smoke shelf. Also, I've never figured out how to get the recirculation tubes out of the stove. Mines similar to this but I think it's square on both ends.
    offset.jpg

4. CaseyForrest

Interesting.

How would you clean that fitting out once you knock everything down from the chinney?

sent from a field

SeMoTony and ChoppyChoppy like this.
  5. dsell

I bent an old vacuum nozzle by heating it up with a torch. The whole process is a *****. The gas flue is in the same chimney and I have to crawl around it to reach the wood flue. I first used the rutland wire brush and it was nearly impossible to push down and pull up. I switched to the poly brush and it's easier, but still tough. The fiberglass rods bend and only work for about 5 ft, then I have to put a pvc pipe over them to push the brush down. One pass cleans it good, but one of these days it will probably pull it out of the stove.

SeMoTony likes this.
  6. CaseyForrest

That sucks.

Sorry I can't help you with your question about the ladder. I have been on one of those types of ladders fully extended, but it was some years ago so I don't have any experience with anything new.

sent from a field

7. stihlaficionado

stihlaficionado God of ArboristSite

I have the MT 26 Werner telescopic, Type 1 A...I think I paid about $260 with the contractors discount about 4 years ago. It will support anyone up to 300 lbs.

I use these types of ladders all the time, both as an extension & A frame configuration. No problem.

SeMoTony likes this.
  8. unclemoustache

unclemoustache My 'stache is bigger than yours.

Yup. Those ladders are fine. Just make double sure everything is locked in place, and in the fully extended setup, don't try and put too much lateral pressure on the ladder.

SeMoTony likes this.
  9. treetopguy2028

treetopguy2028 ArboristSite Operative

Mountain View, AR 2-1/2 hours north of Little Rock
    My first folding aluminum ladder (1999) was a Werner that had slop in the hinge. Needing more height I bought a Davidson fiberglass extension. Sold both by 2005 by changing to aerial lifts. In 2012 I bought a new LG model type 1A22. LG ladders with four pegs to a "rock lock" don't have slop unless the user stresses it. I am about to get a taller LG ladder for fruit tree work. My ladder serves as a backup for my trailered three boom hydraulic aerial lift which takes me to 46' maximum height. With special long tools I am able to work to 65' elevation. My only precaution is make sure 1. You can lift the ladder's weight and 2. It will get you to the height you need plus two rungs to spare. If you doubt my wisdom visit www.vertikal.net and search ladder death wish.

SeMoTony likes this.
  10. dsell

I found an alternative to getting the good ladder. I've always had to fight the brush up and down the chimney and didn't think that was right. I did some research and found a video of a sweep that said never use a 6 inch steel or 6 inch poly brush to clean a liner. He said use a 4 inch poly brush or a rotary brush. I've always had to put 1 inch pvc pipe over the fiberglass rod to push the brush down. Pulling it up, I have to be on my knees straddling the tile, and pull for all I'm worth. I cleaned it today remaining on the ladder the entire time with a rotary brush I made with weed eater line and a hose clamp. I tapped the 1/4 pipe with 3/8 bolt thread and cut the head off a bolt to make the drill adaptor. Works like a charm.

chimney 16.jpg chimney 15.jpg chimney 13.jpg chimney 1.jpg chimney 4.jpg chimney 3.jpg chimney 10.jpg chimney 14.jpg chimney 5.jpg

SeMoTony and treetopguy2028 like this.
  11. dsell

chimney 8.jpg chimney 6.jpg chimney 9.jpg chimney 11.jpg chimney 12.jpg

SeMoTony likes this.
  12. treetopguy2028

Great job "dsell" and very descriptive photos. Your timing in fall weather was ideal. Your question about Little Giant ladders motivated me to sell my M22 19' ladder then upgrade to their M26 Quantum with adjustable feet. It will give me an extra edge for better results on Bradford pear round overs and fruit tree pruning. We all really need each other.

SeMoTony likes this.
  13. ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy Addicted to ArboristSite

I have a "little giant" style ladder that can fold into a straight ladder, step ladder or scafold. Works well. I've had it about 15 years.

As far as brush, I've been using a Soot Eater for about 5 years. Works great.

14. dsell

Do you use it from inside the house? I'd think it would spread fine black dust over the room.

SeMoTony likes this.
  15. ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy Addicted to ArboristSite

I just slide the stove up, stick the soot eater in the pipe, slide a trash bag on the pipe (just put a small hole for the rod) and tape it to the pipe.

All the junk goes in the trash bag, no mess.
    I can't clean from outside easily, my chimney is a good 10ft tall on a 6/12 roof. I'd have to putva ladder againt the pipe or use a man lift.

SeMoTony and treetopguy2028 like this.
  16. dsell

After two years, I finally pulled the trigger on ladders. The first was the Menards black Friday special on the Ascent 22' Mighty Multi. It was descent weight and very sturdy as an A frame. The lock pins seemed a little inferior, but it worked ok. As an extension, it was horrible. I was scared to go past the hinge point it was so flexible so I took it back to Menards. I got the Little Giant Revolution with rachet legs, 26'. It's extremely heavy and it doesn't seem as sturdy as the Ascent as an A frame. The lock pins and joint lock are far superior, very well done. The rachet legs are an excellent option. Fully extended, better than the Ascent, but still very flexible. It was fully extended and 6 ft away from the chimney at the bottom, 1:4 ratio. By the time I got to the top of the chimney I was scared to take my hands of the rungs. Putting the ladder up there was also a feat. I watched videos and did it the way I was supposed to, but it's almost too much for one person. With a typical Kansas wind I wouldn't do it. Overall, I think I have a very heavy A frame ladder. I probably should have just bought the 22' to save the weight but I wanted the height to reach the chimney as an extension. The work platform is comfortable but a little cumbersome. When you kick it to put it in or out of place, it can come off easily. It also creates an uneven step, you step on it folded up to get to the next rung, then kick it in place and step back down.

17. ham

ham ArboristSite Operative

I have two of those style, one is a little giant mega max other is a larger 'worlds greatest'. They're heavy af but super solid. I have no problem being on either one fully extended. I'm a homeowner so I dont care about weight, but if I was a pro I would probably look for lighter solutions.

18. TimberMcPherson

TimberMcPherson Addicted to ArboristSite

The best ladder out there is one of these, its super ridged and stable, can be set up on any ground, way more comfortable to stand on and climb. I wont go near anything else

http://scorpro.co.nz/home.htm

[​IMG]

SeMoTony and Del_ like this.
  19. treetopguy2028

My Little Giant laddere has been well worth the money. It comes in useful when needed but I don't try to prove myself invincible to gravity...many people have been badly hurt or killed by trying it. Although a rental man-lift would seem to be more expensive it will be lower cost than an ambulance trip to an ER sand then downtime for surgery or the final day to live. Take several hours of instruction time at the rental yard to cover all the bases. I own a Niftylift TM40 (see photo) for my tree service which takes me to 46' height for my work as an arborist in Stone County, Arkansas. I've been working at height since 1991 and in lifts since 2001. If the chimney looks like difficult work hire a professional respect his trade and swallow the pill of bad taste for the cost.