Anyone used the Pinch-A-Log lifting tongs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiBro

Mill 'em, nails be damned.
Reaction score
Am thinking these might be the best option for rounds but am keen to hear/read from those who have used them and how they compare to pulp hooks, picker/hookeroons, lifting tongs, etc. Can anyone help please?

This guy does a comparison:

Never heard of them. After watching the comparison video, I agree with the author. The pinch a log should have a better handle than some 1/2” rebar. The big opening would be nice though. Especially for frozen logs which can be tough to get a bite on. I personally use two 12” Husqvarna tongs and like them a lot. They will pick up 14”-15” diameter rounds. Any bigger than that and it gets awkward picking up with one hand. The pinch a log looks ok, but kind of big and clumsy. The $85 price tag bought both of my Husky tongs.

They could call it Mary Poppins for all I care. Might make it easier to sneak up on the rounds if they are rolling around laughing anyway.

We've got the tongs here but for the Stihl ones they want $72 each.

Another option might be the log oxe (*edit*ummm, nup, at $320 it's a no go) that has a pickeroon and cant hook. Might be more versatile around the mill but only if it does a great job of picking up rounds.

I've got the Husqvarna 8 and 10 inch tongs. I don't go out after firewood without them.
45940ebb1258c5ac9288dffb0780aa1b.jpg
70f9f8e3fd426e8c7907491fa285b335.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

I've got the Husqvarna 8 and 10 inch tongs. I don't go out after firewood without them.
45940ebb1258c5ac9288dffb0780aa1b.jpg
70f9f8e3fd426e8c7907491fa285b335.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
Thanks. Have you tried any other brands or designs like pulp hooks, pinch-a-log, log ox?

I have a Forrester brand hookaroon that works great for dragging wood from the bed of a truck or to the splitter, etc. My brother has Bahco brand log tongs that work great (same basic design as the Husqvarnas) and he also has a Fiskar hookaroon that is a very nice tool.

Am thinking these might be the best option for rounds but am keen to hear/read from those who have used them and how they compare to pulp hooks, picker/hookeroons, lifting tongs, etc. Can anyone help please?

I use log tongs.
Regular kind like Husky brand, but cheaper (TimberTuff) brand from TSC.
Timber tuff tongs 1b.jpg
Timber tuff tongs 1c.jpg

Thanks for that.

Looks like have to bend over to pick the wood up though

Just received a set of eBay cheapies, they grab nicely on everything but the hardest greybox. That said they will grab even on the hard stuff if the go over the centre of the diameter.
I tried filing the points to check if they were hardened, they feel harder than mild steel up around the 42hrc mark.
Whilst I am a believer in getting what you pay for, I’m not convinced paying over 3 times as much for Stihl or husqvarna will net any meaningful gains.
Will see how they perform when I have to do some proper work with them

Just received a set of eBay cheapies, they grab nicely on everything but the hardest greybox. That said they will grab even on the hard stuff if the go over the centre of the diameter.
I tried filing the points to check if they were hardened, they feel harder than mild steel up around the 42hrc mark.
Whilst I am a believer in getting what you pay for, I’m not convinced paying over 3 times as much for Stihl or husqvarna will net any meaningful gains.
Will see how they perform when I have to do some proper work with them
Got a link to the fleace bay ones ?
like these ?
tongs link

Here they are;
I’m happy with them but have nothing to compare them to.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/vidaXL-...=383064113463d5bede4ca58c4ad98b9116dc3278d94e
Thanks Jeffkrib,
i have been looking at those, I have a pair of the larger husky timber tongs, I really like them, took a bit to get used to them, but it makes lifting up rounds or lengths so much easier and quicker, and with the flick of the wrist, you can pick and throw them quite well, using 2 to lift a large round off trailer to splitter is much easier too.

Wondered about getting some cheaper ones so friends can use them, or I take them out when helping friends so my good ones dont get dropped in the dirt or lost or otherwise damaged, had to save for a while to get them.

I am really "Johnny on the spot", being 11 years late...but I have and use these tongs and am happy with them, with a couple of exception:
We split oak whole green, and very green wood isn't grabbed well, because the points don't penetrate green wood easiy.
That is to be expected, because my pickaroon often bounces out as well.
I like them because I don't have to bend over so far to pick up smaller stuff. I would buy them again.

I’ve cut up and moved about 2 cubes of hardwood so far. I’m happy with them so far but will see how they hold up over time.
We need someone to buy a set of expensive and cheap tongs and do a comparison.... I think you could be the man Trains.

I’ve cut up and moved about 2 cubes of hardwood so far. I’m happy with them so far but will see how they hold up over time.
We need someone to buy a set of expensive and cheap tongs and do a comparison.... I think you could be the man Trains.
Yeah, love the husky ones, they just work, appear well made, and with a shot of lanotec, they work very well.

Might wait till we get a few more expenses out the way before dropping 53 on a cheap set.
Was interested in how they had kept their shape, rivets havent expanded, and the mechanism gotten sloppy with some heavy pieces. With cheap chinga stuff the metal seems to be one grade above Plasticine.

The only thing that appears to work well coming out of china at the moment is cov-19

Husky ones appear very solid, and they are all fine so far.

Thanks for the update.

Latest posts

Back