Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone using a dewalt jobsite table saw?

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by KiwiBro, Jun 19, 2017.

1. KiwiBro

KiwiBro Hold my beer and film this...

My workshop table saw was only ever a temporary measure that has outlived its usefulness. Ideally, I'd be replacing it with a nice cabinetmaking table saw that never leaves the shed. But I also need something I an take to the job site when the need arises. I can't afford both so find myself trying to find one saw that will straddle the two worlds.

Will I get frustrated with the saw when making furniture?

Anyone using one of these or one of the makita/bosch models of jobsite hybrid table saws?

Should I try and wait and save another year until I an afford both a portable one like the dewalt for the job sites, and an OK, solid saw that never leaves the shed? Not sure I can wait that long, or put up with my crappy table saw much longer.

neely likes this.
  2. Free Will

Free Will I'm saner than you are.

Depends on who's looking for me.....and why.
    My neighbor down the street has a DeWalt table saw. Not sure of the model, but I have seen it a few times. It looks as if it could be moved easily enough.

Not all that sure what he uses it for, but I would suspect that it's used for hobby stuff. I've never heard him talk bad of it.

SeMoTony and KiwiBro like this.
  3. Banguts

Banguts ArboristSite Lurker

If you have the space you can find a quality contractor saw on Craigslist, and I can't speak from personal experience about the Dewalt table saw, but I bought the new Skilsaw table saw at the beginning of the year and it's a pretty awesome little saw. Powerful, lightweight enough to move but not too heavy that you don't want to throw it in the truck. There is also a slightly heftier job site saw that comes with the collapsible dolly / legs which can be convenient , but I've always found them to be a hindrance.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

KiwiBro likes this.
  4. Brian72

Brian72 ArboristSite Operative

I have the DeWalt model 7491RS and I'm very happy with it. I don't have a dedicated shop so everything I have is portable. I'm not a pro by any means but this saw has been great for my needs. I've done plenty of projects with very good results. The only thing I would recommend is upgrading to a better mitre gauge if you plan on using it for mitre cuts. All in all, I'm very pleased with it. It even runs a dado blade very well.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

5. KiwiBro

Thanks for the replies. That model dewalt was the one I had in mind. What don't you like about the mitre gauge? Sloppy in the groove? Inaccurate angle selector? Doesn't run parallel to the blade?

SeMoTony likes this.
  6. Brian72

I can't say it's terrible but there is a little play in the groove and it doesn't really have any type of locking mechanism to hold the angle. I normally do most of my angles on my mitre saw so it's not much of an issue for me but I do plan on getting an Incra mitre gauge in the future. I knew when I bought this saw I wasn't going to get top-of-the-line accessories so please don't mistake my comments as bashing the saw. I am very happy with it and would definitely recommend it. It's well worth the price. Very stable and solid and very nice features. I'll gladly answer any other questions you may have so don't hesitate to ask.

7. KiwiBro

That Incra gear looks very good. I like how the slide adjusts to micro-fit darn near any channel. Thanks for that suggestion. There's a slightly used one on ebay at the mo at a fair price if you are keen.
    Did you get the portable stand/table that comes with the dewalt? Does it feel stable enough when ripping long/wide/heavy timber (within reason - not trying to breakdown logs or massive cants)?

Can you rely on the rack and pinion fence adjustment to produce accurate sizes without having to check with a tape measure/ruler before running your timber through?

SeMoTony likes this.
  8. unclemoustache

unclemoustache My 'stache is bigger than yours.

My shop saw is a Delta 10" Contractor. I love it - perfect in so many ways. Replaced the motor a couple times already I've used it so much.

As for a portable saw, I've never found one I really liked. I've never been happy with the fence - every model I looked at (including the DeWalt) has a fence that can easily be locked into place in different ways - meaning that the front of the saw may read 2 1/4" but the back may be off by a 1/16" either way. I understand you can get a shop fox fence for many tablesaws, but that's what I liked so much about the Delta - the fence was awesome and consistent. I do have a cheap junky little portable - garage sale thing I rarely use, but it serves the purpose, I suppose.

SeMoTony likes this.
  9. KiwiBro

That was one of the alleged great points about the dewalt saw- the rack and pinion fence. once dialled in, it is supposed to hold its accuracy much better than other portable saw fences. How much did it float around on you? That's a deal breaker for me. If it floats around and can't be relied upon without constantly measuring to confirm, it's game over.

SeMoTony likes this.
  10. Brian72

I'm not sure what you mean by the stand/table. The 7491RS model comes with the stand and wheels and it's very sturdy. The fence has been very accurate for me. It does require a little more maintenance with the rack and pinion fence but that setup is definitely more accurate than other setups. I've attached a few pics of my saw if this helps. Hope I'm giving you all the info you're looking for. If not, just keep asking. I'm more than happy to help.[​IMG][​IMG]

SeMoTony likes this.
  11. KiwiBro

Thanks. The RS in the model code stands for rolling stand, I think, so that's the stand I was asking about and the one you have.

12. Brian72

That's correct. The RS is rolling stand. The pics show how it comes. The stand and wheels are included. It really is a nice setup. Wheels around just like a hand cart. Makes it fairly easy to load by yourself.

KiwiBro and hseII like this.
  13. KiwiBro

Thanks for all the replies. Just a few more questions and then I think I'm done. We are 240v down here. I've read other models of dewalt jobsite table saws can be swapped over to 220v fine - the switches and motors can handle the switch. Is anyone able to confirm that is the case for the 7491RS model please? There will probably be a plate on the motor that will state what voltage it can handle and I'm thinking there should be something on the switch somewhere too.

I ask because the pricing of these models here in NZ is out of control compared to USA/Canada.

Secondly, how often are users needing to tweak the fence to keep it cutting accurately without having to keep taking measurements before running timber through?

*editing to add* I have just read your 220v is 60 hertz on two phases. Our 240v is 50 hertz on just one phase. Makes me wonder if your 220/2Ph motors will over-rev if fed 240v on a single phase. Worst come to worst, I do have a step-down transformer that runs some USA-bought 110v gear like grinder, battery chargers.

SeMoTony likes this.
  14. Brian72

I can't confirm the electrical capabilities and unfortunately, I won't be home until Saturday night. I tried a Google search but couldn't find any information about it. If you don't get anything answer, I'll gladly check mine for you when I get home. As far as the fence, I've never had any problems with accuracy.

SeMoTony likes this.
  15. KiwiBro

A quick update to advise I settled on a stationary (well, it's too bloody heavy to be moving anywhere) contractors type saw and I'll just have to put up with a POS (but very lightweight) Ryobi jobsite table saw until/if ever funds allow a replacement. For anyone in NZ looking at the dewalt saws, they are so much cheaper in Oz that I could fly there, visit family, buy a saw, pay the excess baggage charges on the flight home and it costing the same or slightly less than buying here in NZ. I did the numbers, but changed thinking to a contractor type saw instead.

SeMoTony likes this.
  16. Free Will

Home Depot here in the good ole USA has them, and they are very reasonably priced.

Just one of the many advantages to being a frigging Super Power. :happy:;)

17. KiwiBro

Yeah, and it helps your current account deficit to import Taiwanese product, how? Now get off your rocking chair old man and go chase some young punks off your lawn.

SeMoTony and Dahmer like this.
  18. Free Will

No need to go chase anyone off my lawn.

I have a sign that reads: Anyone caught walking on this lawn will be shot on sight.

SeMoTony likes this.
  19. KiwiBro

shite - the young punks can read? Them be smart punks

20. Free Will