anyone worked with western timber inc of port orchard?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Good?, great? beware?, experiences ???
Have gotten queries from them a few times over the last few years about logging 32 acres I have near Mossyrock.
Just wondering if anyone here has had good (or bad) experience with that company?

Thanks.

Good?, great? beware?, experiences ???
Have gotten queries from them a few times over the last few years about logging 32 acres I have near Mossyrock.
Just wondering if anyone here has had good (or bad) experience with that company?

Thanks.
I haven't heard of em, doesn't mean good or bad.

However, as a rule, be warry of any outfit that is actively looking for private timber to harvest, much like my prejeduces against cowboy hats and suits.... if they are looking for work, that usually means they are a big hungry outfit, or a small hungry outfit, if they are a big outfit there is plenty of state/fed ground to keep them busy without cold calling LO's, if they are a small hungry outfit... well... that means word of mouth hasn't gotten them very far.

This is just my opinion. Take it for what it is.

All that said, lots of mills around Mossyrock. Means you can likely get competitive bids from multiple outfits if you intend to log your 32 acres (I would avoid going directly to the mills...)
So if you do intend to harvest, for sure get a number of bids, but be warry of the outfits that can show up tomorrow, if they ain't working right now... well... then they either have a bunch of equipment sitting idle, or they have a bunch of equipment sitting idle, at the beginning of the busy season for a reason.

Thanks for the replies. Good advice esp. on the 2nd post.
Only reason would even think of selling off now is that first great grandchild is now about a month old, replanted now would have a good crop for her when she is about to become a grandma in 40 or 50 years?
Her parents were going to build there (20 acre 'lots' min in that area of Levis co to build a house) before the GGk came along 'unexpectedly' - they might stay in a huse in town for a few years now and would want to keep the trees just for having them whenever they build a house.

If any contractor of any kind comes to a property owner for work, they either have a hard on for something at that property or they’re hard up for work. Either way you hold the cards. You are the property owner, you decide what goes on with your property, and them suggesting you should have it logged is something you can tell them to pound sand for. At least get a few bids if you take their suggestion.

I’m a contractor, and I’m usually found doing some sort of dirt work now, but I don’t find myself knocking on someone’s door and asking if I can flatten their hill and take their topsoil. Does that put things in perspective?

Also, @northmanlogging, I have a lot of idle equipment, but that may be because I have 33 pieces of equipment and employ 20 people...

If any contractor of any kind comes to a property owner for work, they either have a hard on for something at that property or they’re hard up for work. Either way you hold the cards. You are the property owner, you decide what goes on with your property, and them suggesting you should have it logged is something you can tell them to pound sand for. At least get a few bids if you take their suggestion.

I’m a contractor, and I’m usually found doing some sort of dirt work now, but I don’t find myself knocking on someone’s door and asking if I can flatten their hill and take their topsoil. Does that put things in perspective?

Also, @northmanlogging, I have a lot of idle equipment, but that may be because I have 33 pieces of equipment and employ 20 people...
I mean technically speaking I have 6 peices of equipment and zero employees... so at least 4 of them are idle at one point or another.
But I think you get what I mean.

I have 6 peices of equipment and zero employees... so at least 4 of them are idle
LOL - DW tells me to git rid of stuff all the time - 3 dozers, backhoe, and a bobcat, dump truck and 4 trailers - never any employees and only for DIY stuff <G>
I have had 5 items working at once though, if you call teenage grandsons having fun?
I need a big used chipper for occasional volunteer work, but too cheap to drop $10k or more on something only will use once a year.

You might want to join the Washington Farm Forestry Assn. A friend joined abou15 years ago and has made some major improvements. Members can recommend purchasers and loggers who have done well for them. There is an active chapter in Lewis County and they have a monthly meeting and schedule field trips. https://www.wafarmforestry.com/

Latest posts

Back