Apple?! Who knew?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a plum last year... It was pretty sweet color and grain although a bit of a rotten vien was enough to make it only usable as small pieces.
Just about any old large fruit tree is going to be desirable.
Last year Someone had a chance at an old pear.
Never saw the result from that one but.. I have one I'm tempted to harvest (Permanently).... it does not fruit much anymore.
Snow this year broke some branches. When I chipped them up they were so gummy and tough... got me thinking how dense the main trunk would be.

I got a plum last year... It was pretty sweet color and grain although a bit of a rotten vien was enough to make it only usable as small pieces.
Just about any old large fruit tree is going to be desirable.
Last year Someone had a chance at an old pear.
Never saw the result from that one but.. I have one I'm tempted to harvest (Permanently).... it does not fruit much anymore.
Snow this year broke some branches. When I chipped them up they were so gummy and tough... got me thinking how dense the main trunk would be.
Yes this is a good idea and I'm thinking any fruit wood is worth trying out for some interesting wood.
I'm about a few miles from the biggest pear tree in the State of Oregon. The tree is on State property so no luck just an idea if it is trimmed somewhere down the road. There is a lot of Black cherry and plum trees around worth checking out.

Slightly OT ahead.

Cosmic Crisp is the next big variety mark it!

The WSU had worked on it for some time.
They grow this variety more like a grape vinyard than Apple orchard.

Picking is easier down low. “Sections” that die can be replaced quickly.
If you get a chance to try Cosmic take it!
The first batch was in the stores in PNW over the last couple months...delicious!
Crispy sweet and tart with intense flavor.

I’d like to grow some but we don’t get the sun required on our woodsy plot.
Stick to old world varieties.

View attachment 810703
That is exactly how the orchard down the road from me is doing it. You nailed it, easier to harvest and more apples per acre. It's not just the variety you mentioned though, they have several varieties (genetically modified?) that grow like that.

That is exactly how the orchard down the road from me is doing it. You nailed it, easier to harvest and more apples per acre. It's not just the variety you mentioned though, they have several varieties (genetically modified?) that grow like that.
Yeah there are definitely others.
I don’t think they are gmo.
They hybridized varieties to work well with the style and chose a “viney” root stock to graph those onto.

Michael Pollons book “Botany of Desire” is an interesting study on how human and plant interaction have effected the evolution of both. Fascinating stuff.
Apples and cannabis top the list.

Back