Appropriate steps to detur firewood thieves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Over the last three years I've worked diligently to cut, split and stack the aproximately 10 cords of firewood I have along the back of my property. Up until this last weekend it has remained untouched except by me. Sometime saturday evening/sunday about 3 of those gas station bundles worth walked off and I'm 99% sure it's my next door neighbors. (they had an outdoor get together on sunday with a fire in their firepit). I've seen them several times outside since and they havn't fessed up yet. There was one or two splits left over by their firepit and it sure looks familiar. :angry: Now I did'nt see them take it so I'm not going to march over and accuse them of stealing. Also keep in mind that I've given them plenty of wood (delivered to their stacking area) but have stopped because they never let it season and go thru it way too fast. I've never given them permission to take from my stacks.

So my question is what is the appropriate next step(s) to put an end to this?

My first thought is to install a fairly bright security light that will light up the firewood stacking area.... they will hate this because it will also partially light up their firepit/deck/party area and they hate outdoor & street lights and the like.
They will ##### about the light and I will just say I have every right to protect my property from walking off. Of course this will not stop the theft because it is them and they will just wait until they know we are gone.... so the question is what is next? more annoying lighting( motion detecting), cameras??

If you don't mind getting a game camera, that is what I would do. It'll give you the proof to confront them. Then simply tell them to cease immediately.

:agree2: Great idea. The newest ones are infared, no flash....they would never know what hit them. :)

Firewood thieves are some of the hardest crooks to stop.For some reason,folks who wouldnt steal otherwise think its okay to boost a few sticks from a woodpile.Their reasoning seems to go along the lines of

1.Its just wood for crying out loud!
2.You have so much piled up, whats the big deal about an armload?
3.You got it for free right?How can you call it stealing when you got it for free?
4.blah blah blah

I myself have fallen victim to firewood thieves, once even had a bunch disapear out of the back of my truck in broad daylight when I ran in to get a couple pairs of gloves before making a delivery.

If you dont want to piss the neighbors off with bright lights, consider using a motion sensing light.I installed motion sensing lights on each corner of my shop as well as a chain across the driveway that leads back behind my shop to my woodpiles.The greatest feeling of satisfaction was noticing strange tire tracks coming down the driveway and a whole bunch of white paint all along the chain where they backed into it in the middle of the night.I bet it put a nice dent in the tailgate of their truck.
I would start with the motion sensing light,then move on to a game camera if it happens again.I hate spending money just to stop a thief,so I escalated my loses slowly until I reached the level that put a stop to the theft.

I would also mention the problem to the neighbor in casual conversation, if they realize that you know wood is missing they might be less likely to walk off with any more.

Firewood thieves are some of the hardest crooks to stop.For some reason,folks who wouldnt steal otherwise think its okay to boost a few sticks from a woodpile.Their reasoning seems to go along the lines of

1.Its just wood for crying out loud!
3.You got it for free right?How can you call it stealing when you got it for free?
4.blah blah blah

I think you nailed these people perfectly.. They are the type that expect everything to be done for them/given to them.. grrr. The light is already purchased and will be installed. I can always turn it off if they mend their ways.

4.blah blah blah

Some of it was free... of course there is the $13K truck to haul it home in, the $1200 splitter, 2-3 chainsaws @ $500 each, ++++ the list goes on.
Not to mention the back breaking labor involved. None of which they have or would contribute to.

This couple can go thru a half a face cord in one night (she likes a big fire when lit up). This is why I have to take action. If unchecked they will burn thru a heating seasons worth over the summer.

I like the infared camera idea :clap:

I'll still install the security light just to piss them off.... and then when they find out the only reason it was installed is a result of their actions... priceless.

If you have a security light, you don't need the infrared. If you do get an infrared, there are different kinds. Some have a red light which is visible, and others use a light which is not visible.
I installed some motion sensor lights in addition to the game cameras.

Some of it was free... of course there is the $13K truck to haul it home in, the $1200 splitter, 2-3 chainsaws @ $500 each, ++++ the list goes on.
Not to mention the back breaking labor involved. None of which they have or would contribute to.

Yeah, you and I know that, and so does anyone else who harvests firewood for either sale or to heat their home.The rest of the world has no idea.

Last year my wife donated some firewood to a woman she works with,I didnt know about it until she got home and fessed up.Woman was going to have a Christmas party at her new home, and really wanted to have a dog and pony show.That included a nice fire burning in the fireplace.Sigh.....
I loaded up a face cord after talking to her on the phone.I wanted to make sure we had easy access to dump the wood.She said sure,just back right up to the door.

When I got there,there she was.Standing on the porch of her condo.The upstairs condo.I figured there had to be some mistake.Nope.
She explained that I could pull right up to the bottom of the stairs and haul all that wood up the stairs, through her condo,and stack it on the back porch.

Not wanting to cause a scene,I figured what the heck.I chugged down a thermos full of coffe and loaded up an armload of white oak and trudged my way up the six hundred and thirty two steps, pausing mid way to enjoy the geese flying and the Boeing 747 that near knocked me down from the jetwash.It actually was a good experience for me, I lost 36 pounds delivering that load of wood.

After I was finally done with carrying all that up,I realized that I had missed six birthdays during the delivery,but I figured that was alright since I dont have a clue as to how old I am anyway. I thought I was 43,my daughter swears im 94,and my neighor insists Im 16.As I paused before heading down the stairs, the woman handed me a tuperware container.I peeked inside and low and behold there was a dozen rock hard oatmeal cookies.I hate oatmeal cookies.

Trying to be polite,I thanked the woman and just turned to go when she mentioned that it probably took her longer to bake those cookies than it did for me to cut and split the wood,and probably cost more as well for the tuperware container.But being the kind hearted woman that she claimed to be,she was willing to let it slide if I sent the tuperware back with the wife.

I sure was glad that I was wore out,otherwise it would have been the first time in my history for pelting a woman senseless with an oatmeal cookie.

I sell campfire bundles, and lose a few to thieves every year. I thought
about putting up NRA stickers and a sign that read, if you can read
this you are within range, but instead I put up my game camera(smile
you are on camera...sign).
I also put a new light that shines on the bundles at night, and I leave
a light on in the house so it looks like we are insomniacs.

I think that I will put up a small, inexpensive motion sensor for this summer,
and turn it on at night to keep the honest people honest.

If you are on speaking terms with the neighbors...
I would wander over and tell them someone stole your wood, you don't know who it is, but that you set up your game camera to catch them the next time, and will submit photos to the proper authorities, etc.
This may not help your current loss, but could deter future thefts.

yea I wouldnt spend a whole lot of money, Id just simply but nicely ask them.

Id say "hey man, ive been missing some fire wood out of my stack. Have you seen anyone unfamilar up here by chance?"

if they admit to it id say "if you need any more just let me know next time, I dont want people coming on my property without permission"

if they say no i dont know what you are talking about id say "well i got a bullet for them when I catchm"

dont buy a light or camera YET. alot of this can be solved with a gentle conversation. like someone else said, you all are neighbors and you might as well try to get along.

Yeah, you and I know that, and so does anyone else who harvests firewood for either sale or to heat their home.The rest of the world has no idea.

Last year my wife donated some firewood to a woman she works with,I didnt know about it until she got home and fessed up.Woman was going to have a Christmas party at her new home, and really wanted to have a dog and pony show.That included a nice fire burning in the fireplace.Sigh.....
I loaded up a face cord after talking to her on the phone.I wanted to make sure we had easy access to dump the wood.She said sure,just back right up to the door.

When I got there,there she was.Standing on the porch of her condo.The upstairs condo.I figured there had to be some mistake.Nope.
She explained that I could pull right up to the bottom of the stairs and haul all that wood up the stairs, through her condo,and stack it on the back porch.

Not wanting to cause a scene,I figured what the heck.I chugged down a thermos full of coffe and loaded up an armload of white oak and trudged my way up the six hundred and thirty two steps, pausing mid way to enjoy the geese flying and the Boeing 747 that near knocked me down from the jetwash.It actually was a good experience for me, I lost 36 pounds delivering that load of wood.

After I was finally done with carrying all that up,I realized that I had missed six birthdays during the delivery,but I figured that was alright since I dont have a clue as to how old I am anyway. I thought I was 43,my daughter swears im 94,and my neighor insists Im 16.As I paused before heading down the stairs, the woman handed me a tuperware container.I peeked inside and low and behold there was a dozen rock hard oatmeal cookies.I hate oatmeal cookies.

Trying to be polite,I thanked the woman and just turned to go when she mentioned that it probably took her longer to bake those cookies than it did for me to cut and split the wood,and probably cost more as well for the tuperware container.But being the kind hearted woman that she claimed to be,she was willing to let it slide if I sent the tuperware back with the wife.

I sure was glad that I was wore out,otherwise it would have been the first time in my history for pelting a woman senseless with an oatmeal cookie.

Nobody tells a story like Avalancher!!!!
You should really write a book....I'd buy it!

Three 'gas station bundles' is only worth about two bucks. Don't spend a lot of time or money worrying about it unless it becomes a chronic problem. Helping it turn into a Hatfield and McCoy type feud between neighbors would be shooting yourself and your family in the foot. Do your best to dis-fuse the situation so all involved can live happily ever after. You guys may be neighbors for decades to come.

Good advice! :cheers:

At first read, my first impression was to drill a hole in a chunk and seal in a good charge of black-powder, little drastic, dangerous if there were kids and innocent around.

However entertaining a couple 4th of July style smoke bombs would be, neighbors are important to keep good terms with.

The game camera would be fun!

But what a score it would be to see who it was, and bring them a token load of odds and ends for their fire pit.

Just a point to add, I have been easy on small stuff only to have had valuables end up missing. Seen it to the point of having a neighbor's kids spill the beans about a portable torch-set that was missing, and the parent denying it. It takes all kinds.

I hate the "free" misconception. The instant I touch the chain to wood the wood is no longer free. Almost the entire value of firewood (if not the entire value) - especially if it is on your own property - is labor and equipment overhead.

Three 'gas station bundles' is only worth about two bucks. Don't spend a lot of time or money worrying about it unless it becomes a chronic problem. Helping it turn into a Hatfield and McCoy type feud between neighbors would be shooting yourself and your family in the foot. Do your best to dis-fuse the situation so all involved can live happily ever after. You guys may be neighbors for decades to come.

Agreed, the value of of the wood they've taken so far is minimal.

I think I've been an outstanding neighbor for the last couple years-

This couple has always complained about not enough $$ to go around so initially we did a lot of things to help them out:

I've taken him along on firewood gathering missions- all my equipment, truck,
gas etc. He basically loads the wood while I drop and cut. In these situations I've given them slightly more than 50% of the wood gathered.
I've usually done all the splitting because of schedules. I've grown a bit weary of this "donation" because it's too one sided.

Given them house hold items that were perfectly fine but we no longer had use of- rebuilt washer, digital camera, full size bed for one of their kids, much more than I can't think of right now..

mechanic work-- replaced engine in saturn (he helped to some degree but he's not mechanically inclined), replaced and repainted door on his wifes ride.
No $$ were paid for my part. Later their taurus blew a head gasket and sat out back for months- He said if I fix it they will cover parts and split the proceeds from the sale of the car to cover my labor. I only ever received $100 - $86 of that covers the parts I had to purchase. This was a good 16 hr job and I was out of work at the time. The car was sold in running condition and I never got a dime.

Between our propertys there was a shared flower garden area that had over grown over the years.. neighbor is into ponds and offered the idea to put one there. Two years later it's a maintenance nightmare for me as in I do 90% of it. I've ponied up for the pump x 2, skimmer, uv filter, pavers, and various table/chair sets for the sitting area that is part of it. He has provided the pond liner and a few bucks for river rock and sand under the pavers. My truck did all the hauling. Just within the last couple weeks did they invest in a new table/chair set because they wanted a different style. To put the icing on the pond cake- my wife and I never use it because if they are not home their dog will constantly bark at us out their open windows if we are sitting at the pond. :mad:

I could go on... I guess I just needed to vent. I think pics are in order next.
Need to show their out side junk pile which is in direct view of our patio/grilling area.....

Last edited:
If you are handy, make a small cavity in a few pieces of wood and fill the space with sulphur. Strategically locate the wood where you are confident they will take it from....then wait.

Of course, you need to remember which pieces are "special" just in case they don't get taken, but IF they do:

1- The smell will confirm it

2- If they can't figure out why the wood smelled so bad, they likely will leave it alone in the future.

Just an option to consider.

Latest posts

Back