Appropriate steps to detur firewood thieves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could always call the sheriff and report the theft. Don't implicate your neighbor but suggest that they might have seem the theft and have him ask them.
It lets them know that you are upset enough about it to call the sheriff but you aren't pointing the finger at them.

Or...you could just go over and kick the guys ass.

Im sorry but I could never deal with something like this wih a neighbor that long. I would just wait for him to leave one night to go to store or something and throw him a good azz kicking. Bag him and tag um. Then when you see him again just throw him a nod and he will know it was you that did it but wont be able to prove it. But you have to do this when everything has calmed down for a while so your not he first suspect.:buttkick:

Im sorry but I could never deal with something like this wih a neighbor that long. I would just wait for him to leave one night to go to store or something and throw him a good azz kicking. Bag him and tag um. Then when you see him again just throw him a nod and he will know it was you that did it but wont be able to prove it. But you have to do this when everything has calmed down for a while so your not he first suspect.:buttkick:

Well I'd have to put the beat down on his wife because she's the main trouble maker.
He's just worried about getting his next drunk/high going on.

I did ever so slightly tweek down the sensitivity on the motion light, it still works when I want it to but does not trip when they are out at their car. I'll give a little on something like that but if they ever block that alley again the war is on big time!

My wife and I just shake our heads at some of there antics - ever heard of communicating with someone when you have an issue?- or is honking your car horn, flashing your high beams at us and making gestures towards us an acceptable form of communication?

Of course if they did have the balls to actually talk to me - at this point my first inclination would be to tell em to "pound sand"....

Last edited:
I'm new and this thread has just reappeared(being so old for an update). I can not express enough sorrow for you! But, I can not stop laughing either! I have to commend your restraint from doing something illegal, don't think I could have remained that calm!:bowdown:

Well I'd have to put the beat down on his wife because she's the main trouble maker.
He's just worried about getting his next drunk/high going on.

I did ever so slightly tweek down the sensitivity on the motion light, it still works when I want it to but does not trip when they are out at their car. I'll give a little on something like that but if they ever block that alley again the war is on big time!

My wife and I just shake our heads at some of there antics - ever heard of communicating with someone when you have an issue?- or is honking your car horn, flashing your high beams at us and making gestures towards us an acceptable form of communication?

Of course if they did have the balls to actually talk to me - at this point my first inclination would be to tell em to "pound sand"....

If they acted like normal respectful adults in the begining you prob. could of worked something out. But its gone to far now and like you said they can go pound sand.:check:

I did not take the time to read every reply but it is possible your neighbor did not take your splits, however it may have been one of their jacked up guest's being a hero of the party... just say'n I was a hero one time when I was young and stupid and not yet put in any time processing firewood knowing what it takes to build those nice looking stacks
:popcorn:

Actually they used that exact lie to excuse there actions to the police, (they were really drunk one friday ~3am and ran out of wood, so their pot head buddy helped himself).

However that's not how my wife and I remember it... they saw my wife and I leave for a bike ride on a sunday afternoon, and when we returned I immediately noticed the wood was missing and they had a raging fire going to celebrate their daughters birthday.... I just thought "huh- wonder where the wood came from?- knowing full well they were completely out of their own.

The really sad part is the cop actually bought their story and actually told us that the heavy drinking, drug use and loud partys in the middle of the night were "just part of the lifestyle of being in a band" WTF!!

I did not take the time to read every reply but it is possible your neighbor did not take your splits, however it may have been one of their jacked up guest's being a hero of the party... just say'n I was a hero one time when I was young and stupid and not yet put in any time processing firewood knowing what it takes to build those nice looking stacks
:popcorn:

Last edited:
Why spend more than ten minutes on lowlives like this, make them destroy each other. Get one of your female friends to phone the house about 2am and "confess" to the wife about an affair, pregnancy or anything else that comes to mind...two weeks later you will have new neighbors. Problem solved.

Well this seems to be the day for "I hate my neighbor" threads so here is an update on my "wonderful" neighbors:

When I mow the alley behind my property I go just far enough behind their property to turn the rider around... say 6-8'. I don't mow any of their property. Heard through the grape vine that this bugs her to no end and to retaliate her husband has been mowing a section of my property inside my fenceline about 4-5'. Clearly trespassing.

Labor day weekend I had a guy pick up 6 loads of firewood - he drove in the alley to get it. A day later I noticed a hackberry tree in the quarry adjacent to the alley had a broken branch that had fallen and was blocking the alley. Now this is the area in the alley behind their property. I carefully removed only the branch and left the grape vines that follow it onto their overgrown rear deck area. At no time did I touch their property or cut anything that orginated from their property.

Last night I noticed they called the police and they were out back looking in the alley where I cut the one broken branch... No visits from the authorities yet...

I have a buddy that catches the people stealing his wood with a camera and he also has a dog that barks which alerts him to look at the camera.He has caught 3 people stealing his wood so far.He calls the police and instead of pressing charges he makes a deal with the people that they have to split wood for him with his splitter for the whole weekend.If they don't agree he presses charges.It is funny as hell as it worked 3 times and he gets free labor.

Sounds good for him but these people would fake an injury and then sue my a** :angry:

I have a buddy that catches the people stealing his wood with a camera and he also has a dog that barks which alerts him to look at the camera.He has caught 3 people stealing his wood so far.He calls the police and instead of pressing charges he makes a deal with the people that they have to split wood for him with his splitter for the whole weekend.If they don't agree he presses charges.It is funny as hell as it worked 3 times and he gets free labor.

Latest posts

Back