ArboristSite.com Sponsors

April 25th Anzac day

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by TimberMcPherson, Apr 24, 2005.

1. TimberMcPherson

TimberMcPherson Addicted to ArboristSite

Its that time of year once again, Anzac day, which comemorates when UK, Aussie and Kiwi forces landed on the Gallipoli beaches in Turkey in 1915 and fought tooth and nail for 259 days, from April 1915 to January 1916, the allied forces hung on to their toeholds on Gallipoli. A total of about 500,000 men were landed there over the course of the campaign and almost 300,000 of them became casualties.

The Australian New Zealand Army Corps (anzacs) fought hard in an operation that was a complete balls up from the begining, but from it, New Zealand and Australia gained an identity and pride that still has a promenent place in our cultures. 10 per cent of New Zealands population served in world war one, everyone was effected by it.

Dawn service tomorrow, the ranks of those who remember the second world war are thining, those of the great war are gone, its up to the young to take their place and stand where they stood, and not forget their sacrifice.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them

Dahmer and DANOAM like this.
  2. TimberMcPherson

Thought id reserect the post as its that time again.

I have been looking into my family history, my parents would sometimes talk about my great grandfather john who fought in the first world war. I only very recently worked out that I had 3 great grandfathers called john and they all served in world war one, no wonder great grandfather john seemed so busy! 2 were at gallipoli. One a surgeon and one a sergeant.

The sergent enrolled at 17 in 1914, wounded with a bullet wound to the arm in 1915, he went on to the war in europe. He didnt see NZ again until 1919. By the second world war he was a Colonel. He died in 44 after loosing one son ( http://www.hmsneptune.com/rollentry.php?id=46 ) and having another very badly wounded in that conflict (my grandfather who stood on a mine in egypt.)

Dawn service this morning was moving as usual, its sad to see the vets getting so unsteady.

Lest we forget.

Dan Forsh likes this.
  3. Ekka

Ekka Addicted to ArboristSite

Timber, your posting this on a USA board!

As if they give a .........

4. clearance

clearance Addicted to ArboristSite

Don't be a knob. Americans respect the people who fought in the two world wars, thier day is called Veterans Day, In Canada it's Remembrance Day. In both wars men from the then colonies fought for the U.K., the losses here in B.C.were pretty big, considering what a small population there was at the time.

DANOAM likes this.
  5. clearance

Only one survivor from that ship, thats quite the account. So true what you say, they must be remembered.

6. BlueRidgeMark

BlueRidgeMark Addicted to ArboristSite

Some do. Many who don't, simply don't know, or they would. Those who would NOT, don't care about American servicemen, either.

Thanks for posting, Timber. Here's to the men of ANZAC!

"This day of days again we keep -
    In memory of those who sleep
    Away beyond the quiet sea.....
    Away in far Gallipolli.

'Tis Anzac Day - 'tis Anzac Day..
    Our soldier comrades far away,
    They died in war - that we in peace
    May live and love that war may cease".

:cheers:

grizz55chev and DANOAM like this.
  7. martrix

martrix ArboristSite Operative

[​IMG]
    Anzac Day
    Lest We Forget

:cheers:

8. Jumper

Jumper Addicted to ArboristSite

Oil Patch, Edmonton, Alberta for now.....
    This Canuck does........like Clearance above.

Between the Aussies, the Kiwis and the Canucks, we played a huge though at the the time downplayed part in WW1, being part of a larger "British" effort.

I do know 1 in 10 of my fellow Canadians who enlisted for the war were killed, about 60,000 men, and another 2 in 10 were wounded, about 120,000, a huge accomplishment for a nation that was a little shy of 8,000,000 the time. I do not expect the ANZAC losses were less...

Let it also be noted that the ANZAC sacrifice was two years before the USA entered WW1 in 1917.

Funny there is a place just south of here called ANZAC.

Rest in peace my brothers and sisters!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  9. clearance

Good point Jumper, WW1 started in '14, the U.S. entered in '17. WW2 started in September of '39, the U.S. entered in December of "41.

10. Dan Forsh

Dan Forsh Addicted to ArboristSite

I remember a line from an old comedian, something along the lines of "The British blew the bugle in '39', the Americans didn't hear it until '41'"

Just a joke boys...

11. XJWoody

XJWoody ArboristSite Guru

Some care

Mum & her family are from SE England... She moved to Canada in the early 60s, then to the US. Younger sisters, one moved to NZ (also in the 60s IIRC) and the other to Nova Scotia in the early 70s. Granddad was a fisherman / "patrol boat" skipper in the channel and WIA at some point.

My dad was a US paratrooper in WWII France, his best bud while I was growing up had jumped into Arnhem with 1st Para. It wasn't until I got into studying history (and later earning my Airborne jump wings) that I could even begin to appreciate what those lads went through.

So then, :cheers: to ANZAC Day!

12. TimberMcPherson

Dawn ceremony this morning, the one time Im happy that my motorcycle might wake the neighbours at 5 in the morning. Man that last post gets me every time.

Since I married my wife I have inherited something I never thought I would have, axis soldiers as part of my family tree. 2 swiss boys who joined the wermacht and lost there lives on the russian front. I cant tell my grandmother this, she would be very angry, and since she is the only family member I have that has driven a tank, I dont want to mess with the old battleship.

Its good to see that this year more of an effort is being made to recognise the sacrifices made by NZ's vietnam vets, to long they have waited.

I leave with a poems quoted at this mornings service.

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders Fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

John McCrae

13. KiwiTreeSteve

KiwiTreeSteve ArboristSite Member

May we always remember!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

14. Jumper

Jumper Addicted to ArboristSite

Oil Patch, Edmonton, Alberta for now.....
    Man nothing gets me going like that poem, especially, "If ye break faith with us who die" .Never forget.

John McCrae was a Canadian doctor who died in France in 1918. For those of you who never have had a really good case of pneumonia, it must have been a horrific way to pass. Thank God for modern antibiotics.

I spent 2-8 Apr in Germany visiting a very good friend, and every time I am there I am overwhealmed by the evil that consumed that place 1933-1945.

The stamp was issued in 1968.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McCrae

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  15. TimberMcPherson

This year I have decided its about time they put decent trees of cultural and historical significance around the cenotaph which commemorates our involvement in the various wars we have been involved in. From the Boer to Taliban, its been alot of conflicts.

They have VERY recently planted ginkos to replace the ash trees that have died. I think there are better choices that could be made. A war/tree story involves a place called lone pine on the battlefield of gallipoli

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Pine_(tree)

There are many trees from many battlefields that would be a good choice, such is an offshoot of "lonepine". My grandfather told me of lying on is back amongst oranges and olive tree shooting up at me110's that were strafing him and his men. Anyhow, trying to get the city to do anything is like trying to herd cats into a bucket. I was told a pine would be to "messy". Time to talk to the returned services association I think.

A poem by wilfrid wilson gibson

We ate our breakfast lying on our backs
    Because the shells were screeching overhead.
    I bet a rasher to a loaf of bread
    That Hull United would beat Halifax
    When Jimmy Stainthorpe played full-back instead
    Of Billy Bradford. Ginger raised his head
    And cursed, and took the bet, and dropt back dead.
    We ate our breakfast lying on our backs
    Because the shells were stretching overhead.

Lest we forget.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  16. wampum

wampum Addicted to ArboristSite Staff Member

My Dad came from Great Britain in 1924,he was 16. I had 4 great uncles serve in the British Navy,during WW1. One uncle who was married to my Dad's sister,was in the British Navy and British Army,during WW1. In the second world war he served in the American Navy as a sea-bee. I had,2 other uncles serve in WW2. I and one of my brothers served in Viet Nam. I have great feelings for the Allied war vets,and give them nothing but respect. I never met my Great uncles,but still honor them and have a strong bond with them. My uncles I knew well, and loved them very much. They have all passed away now. I also respect and remember the British,Aussie,Kiwi and American troops that fought so hard and gave so much,This is one American that will not forget what they did.

17. TimberMcPherson

Another Anzac day rolls around.
    My grandmother has had to be moved into a home, my family had to sort through her things. One of the things they found was my grandfathers medals, a little strange as they divorced in the 50's. I know that although he was a career soldier, after it all he distanced himself from it. And she really hated the war. Yet there they were, along with his fathers captains pips and his own majors crowns. Families huh?

Anyhow a bitter poem my an angry soldier poet.

Base Details

by Siegfried Sassoon
    If I were fierce, and bald, and short of breath,
    I’d live with scarlet Majors at the Base,
    And speed glum heroes up the line to death.
    You’d see me with my puffy petulant face,
    Guzzling and gulping in the best hotel,
    Reading the Roll of Honor. “Poor young chap,”
    I’d say — “I used to know his father well;
    Yes, we’ve lost heavily in this last scrap.”
    And when the war is done and youth stone dead,
    I’d toddle safely home and die — in bed.

Lest we forget.

18. mga

mga wandering

wesstern NY, the land of taxes and strict laws
    i was always fascinated by the way the british fought:

line them up and send them in. when they go down, line them up again and repeat.

19. RandyMac

RandyMac Stiff Member

They did know how to mow them down.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IWuaSww3JnA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. derwoodii

derwoodii Tree Freak