Arborist liscense, is it worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyS

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
From a purely monetary standpoint is getting the arborist license worth it? What has it allowed you to accomplish and if you don't have it do you think it's a big hindrance?
How hard it is to obtain?
Thank you.

Define 'arborist license'. Clearance obviously thinks you are talking about something other than what you are, and I can think of two or three different things.

Maybe I'm not saying it right. I know a guy here in town is a licensed arborist and is allowed to prune and perform other duties that I shouldn't.
Take down guys verse spraying, fertilizing, pruning guys maybe?

Are you talking about an occupational license issued by the county and required in order to have a legal business? Or are you talking about a 'certified arborist' certification issued by the ISA?

In order for us to know what type of license you're talking about, tell us who issues it.

I am Randys partner and we were informed that with out your arborist license you were not allowed to cable trees, prune them or fertilize them. we were told this by a couple of tree company's in the area so we figured we would get going on the license thing. or were we miss informed? I think we are looking at the ISA.

Also, even ISA Certified Arborists are not allowed to apply chemicals without being licensed by the state they work in.

which certification do we need to get in order to be able to prune and cable trees?

I'd start with your County occupational license board. I think I might have heard something somewhere about one or two NE states also requiring some sort of State issued business license, but I really have no idea for your area. In Florida you need a county occupational license. In order to get the county license you need a physical business address (not a PO Box) and $300K liability insurance. If your business address is within a city limits, you may also need a city occupational license.

The ISA certification is strictly voluntary and is nothing more than a glorified 'basic minimum standards' test. But calling yourself a 'certified arborist' looks good in a phone book ad. :rolleyes: They have zero standards enforcement and will issue a number to anyone who passes the test and sends in their money every 3 years.

I was going to stay away but i have to act. Skwerl, how dare you say such terrible things about the ISA. They are the ultimate authority of treework, it is a great honor to be ISA certified and those that have achieved that supreme certification are truly the treegods of this earth. Those chosen have to pass the "ultimate standards" testing. Using the title "ISA certified" entitles you to have all other treemen bow and worship your presence. You have blasphemed and shall be punished.

Most states the ISA cert is good enough (NY) but in CT you must be licensed by the CTPA to perform tree care in CT. They don't care if you are licensed by the ISA... it's CTPA or no tree care for you. From what I hear, the test is tougher than the ISA test.
I had been in Muench a couple of years ago and asked them if a company was doing land clearing and needed to cut a few branches on some trees as opposed to cutting them down.. would they need a license seeing as how its a land clearing operation? Plain and simple answer... yes.

CTPA. org Please Note - In order to practice commercial arboriculture in Connecticut, an individual must hold an arborist license from the State of Connecticut.

looks like we do need our Isa Cert

An 'Arborist license from the State of Connecticut' is not the same thing as an ISA certification from the ISA. The ISA is the International Society of Arboriculture. It does not issue State Certification for your State government.

New to all this I'm lost. or maybe its b/c its so late can you clarify for me?
where do i go to get my license?:confused: :dizzy:

Latest posts

Back