Archer Bars?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my case it’s a little of everything. Spending less money is nice. The only other bars this shape are Stihl laminates and they have a significant markup just because of the letters on the side. There just aren’t that many sprocket tip small nose bars out there so when you find one, you try it.

Not criticizing, just curious? Resurrected a 4 year old thread about the Archer bars and chains. Why do you buy the cheapest bar and chain for a decent saw? I have saws that my Dad bought in the 70's, that put in 15-20 years of 40 hours a week commercial service, that are perfectly serviceable today. Will any of those Archer bars make it through 15-20 years of commercial service? Will others be looking for them in 50 years? I'd pay extra for a used or NOS bar for my Echo 602, 650, or 750. I understand looking for a deal. I think the steel in bars today is softer than the steel used years ago. My new Stihls show wear and need dressing more often than my old Homelites and Macs. Is it just experimenting to see if a new product can out perform the old, more expensive brands? Just curious?
Each person has their own reason. I'm not a commercial cutter, I'm just a homeowner that needs a cheap bar for occasional use. I'm 56 and don't need an expensive bar that will last 20 years of everyday use. I was just curious as to the weight of these bars. I can get a 20" one with chain for $36. I'm on a tight budget as well. I didn't pay attention to the age of this thread. I just googled Archer bar review and it came up.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I like Archer bars and chains for the price.....Some of the bars and chains that come on these saws with name brands on them are not much. If you are heavy into cutting then yes I would get the best, but for occasional use they work great as I have never worn one out yet and their chains are better that Carlton IMO.

Each person has their own reason. I'm not a commercial cutter, I'm just a homeowner that needs a cheap bar for occasional use. I'm 56 and don't need an expensive bar that will last 20 years of everyday use. I was just curious as to the weight of these bars. I can get a 20" one with chain for $36. I'm on a tight budget as well. I didn't pay attention to the age of this thread. I just googled Archer bar review and it came up.

On a smaller bar the weigh is barely or even noticed. On the longer bars 28" on, there is a difference especially for saw balance.

I've used a lot of bar brands the last several decades , as of yet I don't recollect using an Archer bar. I am not name or brand bias but when it comes to value + performance, I don't recollect any Stihl bar that didn't last like it is supposed to. They have all been precision parts out of the carton until they were abused or long well used.
Stihl laminates seem to work as well for me as well as their solid replaceable sprocket tip so 12 to 20 inches thats my favorite bar purchase unless I find another name brand cheaper. Oregon usually is higher around here and the quality isn't as good or consistent IMO. I've been dissappointed in a lot of cheap bar brands at times but never once a Stihl bar. Last time I bought a 20" laminate it was at or around $42, 16" about $5 less I think 12" was under $30. It seems like on the internet Stihl bars are priced 10 to 20% higher then at some of the farm stores around here. I know Cannon, Tsumara and may be a couple more may exceed Stihl quality but for me their price hasn't been worth the extra. Stihl bars haven't handicapped my saws cutting ability yet that I know of, I wouldn't say that of some cheaper bar purchases I ve made. When my saws are cutting straight and fast through the logs, the work gets done efficiently + my body parts wear out less faster also. Use your saw for less then 10 minutes at a time just once in a while and money is tight cheap bar might be the smartest way to go. Cutting several cords of wood to heat your home yearly, I,d go better. Making a living with your chainsaw, I wouldn't go much less then a Stihl bar or better.

I found a problem with mine and got back with the seller to see what they are going to do about it. It's brand new and purchased for my Echo CS-620PW. I noticed the chain was a little "sloppy" but didn't check the groove in the bar as I've been swamped with work and it's too hot to cut wood here at the moment.

Today I was checking it out closer and the chain felt pretty loose in the bar so I measured it. The chain is right at .050" but the bar is .062". I checked the new Echo bar and it measures .052" (slides in easy but snug), .053 is really tight and .054" no-go.

So it appears the Archer bar is actually set up for .058". Going back and forth with the seller it is marked correctly but obviously not going to work. I asked for a replacement.....Cliff

I found a problem with mine and got back with the seller to see what they are going to do about it. It's brand new and purchased for my Echo CS-620PW. I noticed the chain was a little "sloppy" but didn't check the groove in the bar as I've been swamped with work and it's too hot to cut wood here at the moment.

Today I was checking it out closer and the chain felt pretty loose in the bar so I measured it. The chain is right at .050" but the bar is .062". I checked the new Echo bar and it measures .052" (slides in easy but snug), .053 is really tight and .054" no-go.

So it appears the Archer bar is actually set up for .058". Going back and forth with the seller it is marked correctly but obviously not going to work. I asked for a replacement.....Cliff
Hope you get it worked out. Do you mind me asking who the seller is?

It came from Ebay. I'll let them sort this out, seems to be willing to help. The bar has the correct part number on it, after verifying that I measured the groove several times, it's for .058", not .050".

Waiting for a response and solution currently, hopefully they actually measure the replacement, if one got marked incorrectly there are likely to be others.......Cliff

It came from Ebay. I'll let them sort this out, seems to be willing to help. The bar has the correct part number on it, after verifying that I measured the groove several times, it's for .058", not .050".

Waiting for a response and solution currently, hopefully they actually measure the replacement, if one got marked incorrectly there are likely to be others.......Cliff
I have spoken with an eBay sell named archerplus. I have ordered a couple items from him in the past. Seems to be a stand-up guy. If it's him, I'm sure he will take care of you..

I picked up a long forester bar and chain there affordable on eBay.

I have two new cutters who are learning, they know how to use shorter bars it’s the longer bars that worries me. I’m moving them up slow.

For cutting stumps down low into the rocks and dirt go cheap with a long bar, I buy huztl bars for that.

Back