Archer Saw chain, made in Australia

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just cut away and the other guy sits in the bobcat with the heat and radio going splitting away

when i get tired from cutting i scoop up whats been split and throw it on the pile....right now everything is split in big pieces for bigger burners so its pretty fast paced...we just pick out the big logs to make it easier haha

Reprofiled a 42" 135 DL loop to 10/50/-10 and it did great. I let up pressure a time or two to reposition myself and that allowed it to make a couple shallow marks but, other than my goofs, the chain performed flawlessly and that loop only cost me $12 and a few minutes at the grinder. Is wasn't hard work at all...Ok I worked harder than the house cat.

20170317_131702.jpg 20170317_131635.jpg 20170317_131722.jpg 20170317_131717.jpg 20170317_131713.jpg 20170317_152004.jpg

Hasn't missed a beat...very pleased with it. As a matter of fact, I'm considering a second 660 for a 6' two powerhead mill to handle some 5' giant oaks.

Good deal, haven't done much milling or log splitting since the storm work started and the snow that followed after

Took down 4 large white ash trees that were split, a massive silver maple, a large hard maple and two large spruce trees that were partially uprooted

I couldn't stand paying nearly $20 for a loop of 12" LP Stihl chain and stumbled across this on ebay. Liked the looks of it only having the single raker like Stihl RS chain and like the price even better so ordered two loops. Got them in the mail today and threw a loop on, cut some seasoned oak rounds with it, some green oak and a little ash and I'm rather impressed, enough that I think I'll order a couple more. Cutters are actually quite a bit larger, I don't have any .325 chain but I bet they're close. I don't mind that at all, I should take a video with that giant 12" bar buried in some oak for you guys. It does seem aggressive as well as I did have to hold back just a bit to keep it happy. Should add my only gripe so far, had to turn in the adjuster an awful lot but can't see that being a solid complaint.

I couldn't stand paying nearly $20 for a loop of 12" LP Stihl chain and stumbled across this on ebay. Liked the looks of it only having the single raker like Stihl RS chain and like the price even better so ordered two loops. Got them in the mail today and threw a loop on, cut some seasoned oak rounds with it, some green oak and a little ash and I'm rather impressed, enough that I think I'll order a couple more. Cutters are actually quite a bit larger, I don't have any .325 chain but I bet they're close. I don't mind that at all, I should take a video with that giant 12" bar buried in some oak for you guys. It does seem aggressive as well as I did have to hold back just a bit to keep it happy. Should add my only gripe so far, had to turn in the adjuster an awful lot but can't see that being a solid complaint.
Did you make sure you received the right drive link count? LP should be making a pretty narrow kerf. I've seen Bailey's 10pk loops of LP for under $9 a loop iirc and pretty sure it's still made by Carlton which is good stuff.

Did you make sure you received the right drive link count? LP should be making a pretty narrow kerf. I've seen Bailey's 10pk loops of LP for under $9 a loop iirc and pretty sure it's still made by Carlton which is good stuff.

I'll have to look at that Carlton, I kind of remember it but thought somebody said it was being produced by someone else. I really don't need 10 loops either. Two loops of the Archer to my door were 22.98. The drive link count crossed my mind earlier, I'll have to go count them but description said 44 links, which is right. I'll try to snap a few pics, but my phone is horrible at focusing up close.

Is it the woodland pro chain that's built by Carlton? I can't remember...

I'll have to look at that Carlton, I kind of remember it but thought somebody said it was being produced by someone else. I really don't need 10 loops either. Two loops of the Archer to my door were 22.98. The drive link count crossed my mind earlier, I'll have to go count them but description said 44 links, which is right. I'll try to snap a few pics, but my phone is horrible at focusing up close.

Is it the woodland pro chain that's built by Carlton? I can't remember...
WP is supposed to be built by Carlton but Blount is meddling in Carlton's business so you might call Bailey's and they will tell you for sure where their current inventory was manufactured.

The two LP I have are about 4.5mm and 5.0 mm wide... tooth to tie strap. The back of each cutter is about 0.5 mm narrower.

View attachment 567831 View attachment 567830

I measured with a micrometer and got the following:

3/8 Stihl RS was 4.2 mm wide
3/8 LP Stihl was 2.9 mm wide
3/8 LP Archer was 3.3 mm wide

The Stihl low pro is pretty worn, hence why I've bought new chain. I had to go back out earlier and cut some more, it impressed me that much. As mentioned it is pretty aggressive but I also have a low pro Stihl chain that I removed all the rakers on, while the other one I only removed the longer humped raker. I'm pretty sure the low pro Stihl never cut this good, even being a narrower kerf. I could compare both brands new out of box but chains are only brand new the first time ya use them ya know. I'm not here to argue chains though, just wanted to share an impression.

Back