archertwo's processor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archertwo

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm new to the site. I've only been on here for a few days but if first impressions are what people should base their thoughts on this site is pretty cool.
Anyways I decided this summer to upgrade my logsplitter by making a new one. The one I had was a store bought one that I got well over 30 years old. It was on its third engine, the newest being a 9HP Honda replacing the initial 8HP Techumseh and the 8HP Briggs & Stratton that had replaced the original. I'd already modified it a few times adjusting the beam height twice and adding a splitting table and a higher splitting wedge.
I decided to add a conveyor to the splitter to boost its efficiency.
I added a directional control valve so I could run the conveyor separately when the piston wasn't travelling.
You'll notice the Charlynn motor hanging next to the filter behind the engine.
dsc00427n.jpg

Here's a pic of the idea I had in the beginning of my completed project with one minor addition. Check out the major diference between the first pic and the second and no it's not that one has a conveyor attached to the splitter.:dizzy::confused::)
dsc00431si.jpg

NOTE: There is more to the story.

To be honest

The photos are to dark for me to make out much about either splitter.. You say that is a conveyor? I will have to take your word on that one.

I'm really interested in seeing your design but you need to take better pics I can't make out much of anything, so go back out and get some better ones:cheers:

OK guys, so here's the unfolded version.
dsc00462sq.jpg

When I took those pics my flash wasn't on. I can't really go back and take pics of what I did so those will have to do.
You might be able to se more detail in this pic of the conveyor.
dsc00429s.jpg

If you noticed there is a single lever valve on the first pic of the wood splitter and a four lever valve on the second pic.
I'd split four cords of wood with the splitter while testing it out and while making the conveyor to put on it.
My intention was just to make a wood splitter with an integral conveyor to make things easier for me.
Well the single lever valve decided to spring a leak and a neighbor of mine was good enough to let me have a Gresen valve he was not using any more so I decided it was time to make a few additions to the original wood splitter/conveyor combination.
I then added an infeed belt.
dsc00446b.jpg

A wood trough.
dsc00439k.jpg

A log "picker upper", a modified Hakki Pilki which I converted to lefty.
dsc00442i.jpg

And a chainsaw to the setup.
dsc00445i.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry no video yet but I'll post more pics in the next few days.
I spent half the day yesterday painting it black so any pics I take inside now will really be bad whether I have the flash on or not.:laugh:

I've still got a few things to add to it to make it what I think is complete or should I say to my liking.
I've already had to change things around some to make things work for me.
You'll notice the roller on the log lifter is now on the infeed conveyor in these pics.
I decided, after testing it, that logs could slip in between the end of the infeed conveyor and the log picker upper and the end of the log closest to me could fall to the ground. It's bad enough rolling it onto there once without having to pry it out and then roll it on again.
dsc00464d.jpg

dsc00472w.jpg

You can also notice that on the first pic I posted the infeed conveyor has a leg that drops to the ground.
It now goes to the bottom of the H beam right above the hitch that is used to steady the log picker upper.

I've also changed the valve setup going with a power beyond on the Gresen valve to have the hydraulic kick-off valve for the splitter separately so when I'm not using the Gresen valve and the kick-off is activated the piston will travel back so its ready for the next splitting sequence.
Hopefully you'll be able to see the valve setup. The pic is a little dark.
dsc00475ax.jpg

Last edited:
sweet, how much and when can i order one? (im poor, i cant order one, but i want it!)

you have the welding and design abilities ive wanted all my life, where can i order those?

did that valve bank come off a prentice loader by any chance? it looks amazingly familiar.

Turkeyslayer, I don't know about well thought out.lol
I only decided to make a processor when the kick-off valve I had on the splitter sprung a leak.

371groundie, I'm not taking orders, too much hastle getting all the parts of the puzzle to fit right.lol
Out here we order those abilities out of a Princess Auto book or at a Canadian Tire Store. You guys might be able to do the same at Tractor Sulpply,Lowes or some other outlet.
I'm not sure want the valve came off of originally It could well have been a Prentice loader. My neighbour had the valve on a home built log loader and cart he used to haul behind his Timberjack. He decided a couple of years ago it was easier to skid the logs full lenght than to cut them up and transport them to the yard with the loader and cart.

This is want it looked like when I tried it out for the first time as, at least, a semi-complete unit.
dsc00454bl.jpg

I've changed a few things and added a few others since then and am adding at least one other thing in the next few days. A four-way wedge will be the next addition.

Got a few minutes to get some steel welded together tonight so here are a few pics of the four-way wedge and assembly. It's not completed but mostly ready to be installed. A couple of hoses to put on tomorrow night if I get the time that is and it should be ready to begin testing it out.
dsc00487yd.jpg

dsc00488k.jpg

dsc00489y.jpg

Here's a view of the piston and arm (2" tubing) setup that holds the log in place for cutting. All these things have to be spaced so the conveyor can still be folded over and carried over the splitter section of the processor.
dsc00470jm.jpg

Here's a view of the second version of the arrangement I made to measure block length. It goes on a three post arrangement that is situated next to the conveyor as you see it when it's folded.
dsc00463e.jpg

An ammendment has been done to this version to accomodate the hydraulic arm that goes down to hold the log in place and removes the hand held version. The hand winch is there for a little added pull on those stubborn logs that sometimes decide the just don't want to follow the infeed belt to the saw.
dsc00476s.jpg

As you can see there is a lot of trial and error to this when you have idea after idea.
If only they came in sequence sometimes it would help.:confused::dizzy::)

Nice work. I have been thinking about building my "perfect" splitter for a while and have decided that the self contained conveyor is the way to go. I am glad to see someone else has tried the same.

looks nice... but there is still one thing missing...... a cup holder.....:) and then lights so you can split/process at night LOL

Latest posts

Back