Are "chainsaw gloves" really just gentleman's driving gloves?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen several versions / brands of chainsaw protective gloves, over the years, similar to the ECHO ones, described.

Husqvarna, Oregon, STIHL, Forester, etc. Some have chaps-like protection only on the left hand. Some on both.

Might come from the same manufacturer? Many saw companies consider these as ‘accessories’.

I never found a pair that fit really well, which is important in maintaining a good grip. So I have used others.

Philbert

I've been using these Western Glove Mighty champs for the couple years since posting... pretty happy with them all around.

https://www.westernglovestore.com/products/1962-mighty-champ

1962_1024x1024.jpg

I have seen several versions / brands of chainsaw protective gloves, over the years, similar to the ECHO ones, described.

Husqvarna, Oregon, STIHL, Forester, etc. Some have chaps-like protection only on the left hand. Some on both.

Might come from the same manufacturer? Many saw companies consider these as ‘accessories’.

I never found a pair that fit really well, which is important in maintaining a good grip. So I have used others.

Philbert
I picked up a pair of Echo 99988801601 Chainsaw Kevlar Reinforced Protective Gloves - Large. They fit quite tight which is perfect because I feel everything but vibrations. Not sure what the safety rating is if there even is one (I'm going to guess they're made in China and there's no rating); the Kevlar is supposed to be 2 layers on the back of each hand. I just ran them at the WI_GTG and they worked great, forgot I was wearing them any time I was sawing.
Features two layers of Kevlar on the back for cut resistance, foam pads on the palms for vibration reduction, goat skin leather on the front for a firm grip, reinforced finger tips and knuckles, and a Velcro wrist closure.

I also picked up MCR Safety PD2903M Predator Leather Palm gloves. The pleather and D3O palm padding seem to absorb more vibrations than Echo, though more time in the gloves is needed. They fit the same as the Echo gloves (note the sizing difference), are ANSI Cut Level A1 (about which MCR states: "We do not promote ANSI Level A1 for cut protection.") So I think with the multitude of inconsistencies they probably had good quality in the past but with a Chinese OEM that's probably no longer the case. They are warmer than Echo with the Chinese TPR (cheap rubber) on the back and pleather on the inside. I'll probably run them with the string trimmer due to the uncertainty regarding actual safety and quality.
  • [Faux] Leather, TPR
  • Imported [probably made in China]
  • PROTECTION: Tire tread TPR on back on hand to shield against bumps
  • FLEXIBILITY: Reinforced thumb crotch for wide range of motion
  • BREATHABLE: Synthetic leather provides greater air flow and comfort
  • COMFORT: D3O impact and vibration reducing palm padding

At this point the quality of the products is undetermined, I simply need more time in each to see just what they're made of and how good they are.

'Chainsaw protective gloves' typically have some material similar to chaps, at least on the back of the left hand (sometimes both hands). They should provide enough dexterity to operate the saw controls.

They are not designed to stand up to the abrasion of handling firewood.

Philbert
I recently purchased a new pair of Stihl "chainsaw protection" gloves , and they actually had the Advertic?? material on the back of both hands. I was quite surprised. :)

"We do not promote ANSI Level A1 for cut protection."

ANSI cut protection is not intended for moving equipment
/ machines.

It is intended for broken glass, cut steel, knives, etc.

I posted some stuff earlier. If a moving chain cutter (88 feet/second) grabs your glove, and it does cut through the fabric, it could drag your whole arm into the moving teeth.

Chainsaw protective material is designed to easily pull out and jam the cutters/bar groove/nose sprocket/drive sprocket.

There are other examples where ‘safety’ means diametrically opposite PPE. E.g. electricians want electrically insulated shoes, to prevent electrocution; blocks the pathway to ground.

In explosively flammable environments (solvents, fuels, vapors) conductive ‘ESD’ footwear is required to eliminate static electricity.

I don’t know what electricians wear in those ESD environments!

Philbert

ANSI cut protection is not intended for moving equipment
/ machines.

It is intended for broken glass, cut steel, knives, etc.

I posted some stuff earlier. If a moving chain cutter (88 feet/second) grabs your glove, and it does cut through the fabric, it could drag your whole arm into the moving teeth.

Chainsaw protective material is designed to easily pull out and jam the cutters/bar groove/nose sprocket/drive sprocket.
That's a great point I read and didn't retain, thank you for repeating it. That seals the deal on what gloves will be used where, thank you @Philbert.

As a note, Home Depot did not have any Echo gloves on display, hence the Amazon links and my search for gloves online.

Back