Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew W.

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am about to purchase a climbing saddle in the near future, I have done alot of looking aroud, trying on saddles at work, and every now and again you hear about the don blair saddle from Sierra moreno.

I just would like to hear about this saddle in this thread, not the cougar, or seqoia, treemotion, 4dee, onyx, and so on, just want info on theRear view. A-1253 IBS Ultralight Blair saddle..JPG Front view. A-1253 IBS Ultralight Blair saddle (2).JPG saddle with the leg straps.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, I have only one saddle and it hurts my sides to sit in, a co-worker sold me it, now I see why, and I am looking to upgrade

I wasn't too keen on a sliding bridge, so Don sold me this one with two sewn webbing loops and a small center d ring. Have been really pleased with this saddle, and if it wears out before I do, I'd buy another one. The thin black material covering the padding (on the inside of the back of the saddle) wore out years ago, but the padding is still in great shape.
My previous Buckingham (and new Sequoia) saddles have all had leg straps that loosen up on me. The Sierra Moreno was no different, so I just sewed the straps so they can't loosen. This is also an incentive to not gain weight...
Quick release buckles on the leg straps would be a nice touch, though.

image.jpg

I wasn't too keen on a sliding bridge, so Don sold me this one with two sewn webbing loops and a small center d ring. Have been really pleased with this saddle, and if it wears out before I do, I'd buy another one. The thin black material covering the padding (on the inside of the back of the saddle) wore out years ago, but the padding is still in great shape.
My previous Buckingham (and new Sequoia) saddles have all had leg straps that loosen up on me. The Sierra Moreno was no different, so I just sewed the straps so they can't loosen. This is also an incentive to not gain weight...
Quick release buckles on the leg straps would be a nice touch, though.

View attachment 471389
Exellent, how is it to hang in. ?

I'm usually doing removals on spikes, so probably not the right guy to ask.
5 & 1/2 hours in it one day a few weeks ago, a lot of that using a 441, was OK.

I'm usually doing removals on spikes, so probably not the right guy to ask.
5 & 1/2 hours in it one day a few weeks ago, a lot of that using a 441, was OK.
That's good, glad to hear more info on these, thanks for the reply.

You're welcome.
What kind of climbing are you doing?
I think Don Blair makes a very good quality saddle.
Might be better, or equally good choices out there.
Matt Cornell saddle getting lots of positive reviews.

I am a new climber, i
You're welcome.
What kind of climbing are you doing?
I think Don Blair makes a very good quality saddle.
Might be better, or equally good choices out there.
Matt Cornell saddle getting lots of positive reviews.
I just started work at a tree service and they would like to train me somewhere in the near future, I am looking for a good quality saddle.

Unless its a removal, we don't use spikes, it's mostly ddrt

they're good saddles i had one for a few months until i lost weight and it got to big for me. good for hanging big saws if you put suspenders on them and they have good mobility.

This saddle is bullet proof. I've had 2 and have been climbing for 20+ years. It's a simple design and very durable. It's a good saddle for your first one. The D rings are drop forged and the nylon webbing is heavy duty. This saddle has been around for years and there's a reason for that. This was the first generation of the floating D saddle.

they're good saddles i had one for a few months until i lost weight and it got to big for me. good for hanging big saws if you put suspenders on them and they have good mobility.
I did my first two climbs recently, and I am not to disappointed in the cheapy saddle I got as a hand me down, however when I get some good time in I am sure I will be ordering soon

This saddle is bullet proof. I've had 2 and have been climbing for 20+ years. It's a simple design and very durable. It's a good saddle for your first one. The D rings are drop forged and the nylon webbing is heavy duty. This saddle has been around for years and there's a reason for that. This was the first generation of the floating D saddle.
I am glad to hear that, and you are talking about the one in those pictures

there good saddles. i have used the weaver with the individual leg loops and i liked those . keep on climbing and learn as much as you can and learn to trust your gear stay safe
Will do, happy New year to you and your family.

Latest posts

Back