Are these newly planted Arnorvitae's dieing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggrossmanjr

Reaction score
Hello all - I am a new homeowner and a newbie when it comes to planting trees. I live in Morris County NJ and recently planted these Thuja Green Giant arborvitae. They were delivered from a nursery in a burlap bag and my landscaper planted about 5 weeks ago. See the attached pictures. Some of the branches are turning brown and this was not what they looked like when they were delivered. Within the last 3 weeks it has gotten down to 32 degrees in the evenings. After i first planted i watered everyday for a week straight. Since then, i use my irrigation drip lines to water for 45min per day. I dont water if it rains.

Could someone please tell me whats happening or how to improve the health of the trees? Thanks for helping out a new guy in advance!

Hello all - I am a new homeowner and a newbie when it comes to planting trees. I live in Morris County NJ and recently planted these Thuja Green Giant arborvitae. They were delivered from a nursery in a burlap bag and my landscaper planted about 5 weeks ago. See the attached pictures. Some of the branches are turning brown and this was not what they looked like when they were delivered. Within the last 3 weeks it has gotten down to 32 degrees in the evenings. After i first planted i watered everyday for a week straight. Since then, i use my irrigation drip lines to water for 45min per day. I dont water if it rains.

Could someone please tell me whats happening or how to improve the health of the trees? Thanks for helping out a new guy in advance!
No photos?

In the first photo the trees look pretty good. A few browning ends wouldn't concern me greatly. If that browning trend continues at an alarming rate, then you have something to worry about.

On the watering, you may be overdoing it. About once every few days should be plenty, even once a week should be good if the trees have a good root system. It's very possible to overdo it with the water.

In the first photo the trees look pretty good. A few browning ends wouldn't concern me greatly. If that browning trend continues at an alarming rate, then you have something to worry about.

On the watering, you may be overdoing it. About once every few days should be plenty, even once a week should be good if the trees have a good root system. It's very possible to overdo it with the water.
Thank you so much! Greatly appreciated

Latest posts

Back