Arm capacity for logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill4807

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Im new here.
Have been thinking for about a year about getting a compact tractor for general purpose home items. But have been getting some logs over the past year from the property that i need to mill.

I just want to make sure whatever tractor i get has the capacity to lift these logs. No one at the dealers can answer me straight, understandable being logs of different kind are different weights.

But mostly what i have are oak, maple, and ash, i cut them at 10' lengths, they are roughly 18-28" diameter.

Do you know what an estimated weight of these logs would be?

The capacitys of these loader arms are small size 1800lbs, one up is 2600lbs.

Thank you,

Thinking you are well beyond the useful limit of most compact tractor loader setups that I have been around with ten foot long 28” large end oak logs.

The spec number is rarely reality depending on how it is derived. At what point on the loader setup are they getting the number listed?

I would suggest joining a tractor forum and searching YouTube for videos on the tractor setups you are looking at.

I have a NH (LS) workmaster 35. Weighs about 5500 with loaded rears. I wouldn't trust it to lift logs with the FEL. I have used the 3 pt to lift logs with a skidding tong and skid them out to a better worksite. As long as the traction is there it'll lift and pull it. Mine can handle a 28" 10ft log if I'm skidding it. No way it would lift with the FEL though.

I have a NH (LS) workmaster 35. Weighs about 5500 with loaded rears. I wouldn't trust it to lift logs with the FEL. I have used the 3 pt to lift logs with a skidding tong and skid them out to a better worksite. As long as the traction is there it'll lift and pull it. Mine can handle a 28" 10ft log if I'm skidding it. No way it would lift with the FEL though.

Thats about the size i was looking at 35-40HP. I was planning on putting some forks on the FEL. My neighbor came over once with his skid steer and moved them no problem, but thats heavy duty.

YES, forget the compact tractor and buy a FARM tractor!

I wouldn't expect any "compact" tractor to hold up with logs of that size/weight, the front ends just aren't designed to handle those loads long term...

SR
I know my little Kubota L3800 loader struggles with relatively small logs.
I'd buy a skid or a large mini skid these days depending on how big I was moving. I got the tractor for a few reasons; first was price, second was I wanted full vision around the kids, then I wanted to be able to use the implements. The kids are older so thats not as big of a concern, and I hardly use the implements except the skidding winch, I'd miss that if I sold my little bota, but most likely I'd just add a large mini skid to the arsenal.

Hmm ok.
I guess i need to rethink the direction i want to go then.
Im glad i asked these questions.

Thanks everybody

Bigger is better on tractors and the 3 point will lift lots more then the loader even with a set of forks.. but I would for sure get a set of quick attach forks for the ffront and remember subtract the weight of the bucket or forks off the front.. Check our the LS line of tractors pretty good specs prices and warranty

Back