Art Martin: Will the Real Logger Please Stand Up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Art mentioned Ron Hartell and Danny Sailor, I saw both of these guys at the Hayward Wi. lumberjack festival in the early 60's.
Sailor would stand on his head and do the charlstan with spikes on atop the 100 ft. pole 10" diam., then he would flip his hat off and beat it to the ground, he would drop 20' & hook a spike, drop another 20' & hook the other spike.
Later he would change clothes & put on a cowboy hat & start up the pole, the anouncer would start hollering at him to get off the pole treating him like some unauthorised doofus, but no! no! I can do this, I saw how he did it, when he got to the top he stood up waving to the crowd, then lost his balance & fell off the pole.
No one noticed he had snapped a line to the guy cable to the top of the pole from about 250ft across the river and he slid on the short line all the way across the river.

I've spent a couple hours reading this old thread tonight and I think it is worthy of a bump. These histories and experiences seem to be getting lost and to me they are both interesting and important.

Good bump cj
I remember following along this thread when it was created. The old photos were simply fascinating to me. We can't imagine today the work those men did and the conditions they endured. The photos are gone from this thread, but I am sure they still exist somewhere - possibly with copies in multiple places. I was on dial-up at the time, so I couldn't download images in any kind of practical way, but I know some people claimed to be saving them, and likely many lurkers saved them as well. It sure would be nice to have them brought back into this thread.

edit: I just discovered that some of the old photos have been re-posted on page 35 of this thread

Latest posts

Back