AS family, day to day...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have had copd for several years, so in light of what is going on, I'm suspending firewood sales this year.
One week ago, I got a call to reschedule my annual pulmonologist appointment.
For several days I was re-experiencing pneumonia symptoms from the month before, so she gave me the Covid 19 number.
I called, and they scheduled a phone screening for the following Tuesday.
I thought that would be the end of it.
The screening, which she said was changing, and had eliminated travel questions by Tuesday morning, only health related questions.
One reason I had called was because the previous weekend we had gone to a large venue, previous to feeling ill.
Our son and spouse had also traveled outside the country the previous month.
The result of the screening was to wait for a call to proceed to testing.
That was Tuesday morning. Late Thursday I got a call.
A re-screening with new questions.
They asked if I had a cough, fever or short of breath..
They asked if I was a health care worker.
They asked if I was a police officer, fireman, etc....
The asked if I live in a nursing home, jail, etc....
They asked if I had any questions.
I no longer qualified to be tested.

I do not think I need testing, do to copd I think I would definitely know.
However, my take on this is "herd immunity" is the default.
There is no testing available, and the numbers mean little.

I wish you all and your families and the best...
I do intend to get out and cut/split to maintain a healthy body and attitude.
I just like doing it...

I've been watching MedCram.com.
It is very good at explaining in short detail what different things, conditions, are.
Last fall I got pneumonia. I did not do any firewood after that until this spring. After recovering, the cold air would again start me on coughing fits if I exerted to any amount. I had help finishing up deliveries last fall, and actually pulled eight cord aside that had not seasoned well. Some had, some had not, all in the same pallet so set them aside and called it sold out for the season. A few weeks ago I did an estimated five cord, based on the number of times I filled the log decks, and got pneumonia again. Didn't see it coming. MedCram.com kind of explained that, that the early symptoms change in older people. I am again on antibiotics, or steroids, and sitting it out. (I did not have the Posch PackFix set up and split into a pile using the conveyor.)
I get in the wood lot and putz, but no production. Took truck in for early annual DOT, service and an emergency brake repair. Then decided not to sell firewood this year and see how things shake out across the country. Plates on truck expired the first of March. I need to cancel insurance, which I had not thought off till now. I've had four people contact me for wood this season and I'm suggesting they check Marketplace online.
As far as how much someone does depends on so many factors. How you move wood to and from the splitter, can you process and sell green, etc. My poor mans log decks have worked out well. The Posch PackFix has also, for seasoning and handling. Cost effective? Maybe not on the lower volume end of the scale where I'm at, but has saves a lot of work. And some of that cost can be recovered, unlike bulk bags.
I'm looking forward to cutting again. I repositioned the conveyor and log decks, and will get the Posch pulled from the container and positioned on the concrete pads this week, and the drums waxed so the netting slides well. Do just enough to enjoy it while self isolated.

Had a little side job hauling 8' Oak logs out where a tornado took down about 30 trees. Got 6 dump trailer loads out and the homeowners called it quits till this blows over. Getting my mowing stuff in order. Still cracking jokes, but, I fall in the vulnerable list. Surprised me they lowered the list to those over 60, that's me. Then I have chronic bronchitis. I'll split up the 5-6 cord of wood I have. My cousin just got back from a cruise to Australia and is on a self imposed quarantine for 2 weeks, so I picked him up 10 pounds of seed potatoes so he can get his garden in. That's about it here.

SC, best wishes and good health.

January 21, I messaged a friend that I had a headache, a fever, felt awful and feared I was coming down with a cold. Next day the coughing started. Day after that coughing was constant, difficult getting to sleep but did manage to get some sleep. Next day, WOW, I had this pain just below my rib cage and above my stomach. It just hurt and worse when I coughed. Never had anything like this before. Self medicated and figured I needed to stay in. Staying in over time symptoms started going away. Eight days inside I felt better and decided to do outside work around the house. Never went to town, never contacted anyone. Can’t remember how many days I remained isolated before venturing to town. Slowly healed but cough remained for about 2 weeks after my quarantine. I now cough occasionally but feel I’m have over come whatever I had. This was before news coverage of coronavirus or I just didn’t pay attention

As news coverage became constant and I started hearing the symptoms I felt that is what I had. I am more convinced after last Thursday or Friday. Wolf Blitzer interviewed congressman from Utah who tested positive. As he relayed the symptoms and how the virus took hold, it was the same thing I went through. Although he has congestion and breathing problems, I never suffered those to extreme. Nor did I have any body aches.

I feel sure I had the virus and trying to figure out should I get tested if that is possible. Virus is too new and lots of conflicting statements being made. First get tested, now don’t get tested, if healed stay home, etc. You could be a carrier, no if healed you are not a carrier.i l live in the country so I’m isolated unless I leave home. Wife is down in Florida and she is in isolation down there. I’ll probably call my doctors office tomorrow for some direction. Probably I won’t get tested and just do what I’m doing now. Only good thing is, I’m over it and if it was the virus I may be building an immunity to it.

You all take care.

Back