Ash and Cherry over the holidays

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im not sure where they end up on a btu chart but I prefer the cherry mainly for the novelty of it. Its got a nice aroma coming out of the chimney and seems to attract some buyers who will pay a premium to use it in the fireplace as well. Id prefer to split cherry in the large round form than ash when it comes to pieces that are 20-25 inches across like the ones in that second pic.

I'm guessing Ash and Cherry are close in Btu's.
Not Oak or Hickory but I burn both without complaint.

Cherry is great smoker wood but my favorite is apple.

Nice! How do ash and cherry compare as firewood?

I burn mostly Ash and Black Cherry. Both are comparable, but overall complement each other well. Ash species vary from 19-23.5ish Million BTUs, White Ash being the most dense; whereas Black Cherry is around 19.5

Cherry, when dry, catches well and burns hot, but not as long as more dense wood, though I'd say long enough. Excellent shoulder wood and filler wood, plus is smells incredibly pleasant both green, dry, and burning. Great for smoking meats too, or cooking over flame! It's my overall favorite wood. Both ash and cherry coal up nicely, though cherry makes a wee bit more ashes. In the really cold months I like to mix them in with oak, hickory, or locust which benefit from establishing a quick bed of coals by the ash and cherry. Ash and Cherry both keep well if kept dry and off the ground.

No Oz wood, but we burn what we have. Where I live at least, there's no need for seeking out the most dense species. If all I burned was oak, hickory, and locust - I'd be spending more time raking coals, fiddling with the vents and opening windows to let the heat out...

Latest posts

Back