ash or elm?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tater_51

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
elm or ash.jpg

Need a little help, is this elm or ash? The tree had no bark on it, I included a small piece I found near the base in the photo. Any help appreciated. Taterelm or ash.jpg

That looks like ash to me, although I have not seen a lot of Elm. The wood database is a good resource and just google. The leaves would be the best. Ash have pinnately compound opposite leaves and Elm have pinntely compound offset leaves. I knew nothing of leaves before speaking with Mr. Google! LOL. Here are some pics from the wood database as far as the grain, and bark and leaves just from google images. Ash on the left and elm on the right. They are pretty close but I am leaning towards Ash. The leaves would tell you. Good luck.

Ash-Elm.jpg

Cheers Peter.

I have been using Ash to build picture frames for years. I do work for exhibiting artists so picture frames are 90 percent of what I've built, and so many frames I've built were made with Ash. I've seen a lot of it in my shop over the last 15 years, ripped it on the TS, and made many mitered corners with it. So anyhow... IMHO, I think that's definitely Ash, it looks to have the open type grain that Ash has. It also looks like the coloring of Ash, Ash can be whitish color or be slightly tan too, it varies a little in color from tree to tree, from board to board.

If anyone has some clear ash wood sitting around not knowing what to do with it... it makes a good choice for larger picture frames as it is stable (does not banana) when you rip it into narrow pieces to make moldings. I suppose it's also useful for furniture making too for the same reasons, when you need a wood that is stable at a narrow, longer length.
cheers

I have been using Ash to build picture frames for years. I do work for exhibiting artists so picture frames are 90 percent of what I've built, and so many frames I've built were made with Ash. I've seen a lot of it in my shop over the last 15 years, ripped it on the TS, and made many mitered corners with it. So anyhow... IMHO, I think that's definitely Ash, it looks to have the open type grain that Ash has. It also looks like the coloring of Ash, Ash can be whitish color or be slightly tan too, it varies a little in color from tree to tree, from board to board.

If anyone has some clear ash wood sitting around not knowing what to do with it... it makes a good choice for larger picture frames as it is stable (does not banana) when you rip it into narrow pieces to make moldings. I suppose it's also useful for furniture making too for the same reasons, when you need a wood that is stable at a narrow, longer length.
cheers
I have some wide slabs I hope to use for table tops as well as 4/4 boards for clocks and other projects. Will have to try it for frames.

Latest posts

Back