Ash Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl310 That little diesel has to make a sweet set up on that splitter. You got some nice looking equipment. My farm is mostly green too. I do have a Bobcat skid loader that I wish I wouldn't have bought.

Friend of mine built it with what he says "scraps I had laying around the shop".

It's got an adjustable 4 way wedge that'll retract down into the beam if you don't need it. Very quick cycle time and it just purrs along. You can carry on a conversation while you're working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's sad what is happening to the Ash... going the way of the Elm unfortunately.

Ash will always be my favorite firewood for making it and burning it. The firewood of Kings! But given the devastation of EAB I can't enjoy it as much as I have.

Agreed. It's such a great wood for firewood. Typically straight grain, easy splitting and puts out good heat with little coals.

Speaking of elm, this was an absolute monster. Didn't realize we had any this big around here anymore. This one 16' log made 42, 2x6's. Had them cut for a small building we're going to put up. Never woulda guessed it would put out that much lumber.
085df29cd42692954acfb88dc95087c1.jpg

12dc7e881579af6eb31405f91ebc0a81.jpg

I just bucked six pickup truckloads of green elm for firewood from one tree. Dang, that trunk stuff is heavy this time of the year. Used my Husky 257 and Makita 520i, a good combination. Solid to the core, no rot, and no bugs. I usually wait a month or two before trying to split it. Green elm can really be stringy.

That's an ash load of firewood!

I have 2 in the field behind my house....they may be falling soon.

Stihl310
Looks like you are getting that ash knocked out. I have been wanting to get back to bucking and splitting some locust logs here. Pretty muddy around here. Tile guys I had been waiting on for three years just showed up Friday so I have been helping them. They should finish today. (I am running out of money) May not get any wood split before it is time to plant corn.

Three more loads out today. This stuff must be multiplying at night. It won't end.
63d9c9c98c724d3b78b098834226205c.jpg
332c219c492e660db87183765f5fdd69.jpg

Here's the joystick and valve.

Original bucket tilt lines are plumbed in the back. Grapple hoses are on the opposite side towards the front of the tractor and then bucket tilt is in the back. One solenoid is always "valve open" to the bucket. When you push the button on the joystick they flip then the grapple becomes active.

9328b982ee9b8d7f136a74e5a3126865.jpg

Can't use tilt and grapple at the same time though?

Back