ash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right now I’ve been blessed because 90% or more of my wood is oak but if I can’t get oak I’ll take ash next. Love how it burns and great heat output. Around here if you see a live ash it’s nothing but a sapling.

I probably have at least 50 some three feet the wood peckers have took the bark off it looks crazy have anyone ever tried milling some I have a chain saw mill but I don't know what I would do with the boards will it stand up to weather like oak ? It burns up so fast that is why they named it ash because it makes tons of ashes but I better get used to it because I have a ton to use.

I think you are smoking crack lol idk I like ash its straight grained and is very dry i think it burns great. I dont get much ash from it.
I hate to lose all my trees though.

@cantoo
Carefull man. That's a dodgy situation.
That size without resistance during the fall and comming from 20m or so, will go straight through you. A helmet doesn't do much if your neck ist there anymore.
We have poplar trees that has the tendancy to break up during the fall. Once had to pull one out a meadow wich was 2 meter in.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Cantor I get it I run a full time business even bought new equipment because I have been so busy because of Trump was going to put on a employee but my costs have went up so much that I am working harder making less why is life so busy anymore I rather be playing in the woods with my McCulloch 10-10s even if it's cutting ash not a fan hope you find time to play on your mill soon post some pic framecat

Cantoo sorry on my last post auto correct anyway nice operation I got some ash cut not a big load but ok I put a big one on the ground to mill just to see how it does, WP_20181230_010.jpg WP_20181230_008.jpg

framecat, nice load and nice one down. I'm playing in the mud and snow right now. Cut another 7 trees today and got the logs all home. And got another phone call today from a guy that heard I have a sawmill, he wants to buy some boards. Story of my life, no time.

For the difficult looking ones I just cut 90% of the way and then slowly push over with my tractor. Safety glass in the cab is nice. I have had a close call or two.
That sounds like a great strategy.
I once got a 3" or 4" on my helmet. During the first cut. Tree never moved. I was planning to pull it over with a 20t winch.
Dead trees are a b****. I really think if it was a 6" branch or bigger i wouldn't be able to tell the story.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

A lot of people killed or hurt by falling limbs please use all the safeguards you can when felling we just got one shot at this life be save with these ash trees, the bark is slipping on the ones I cut yesterday :chainsaw::chainsaw:

I probably have at least 50 some three feet the wood peckers have took the bark off it looks crazy have anyone ever tried milling some I have a chain saw mill but I don't know what I would do with the boards will it stand up to weather like oak ? It burns up so fast that is why they named it ash because it makes tons of ashes but I better get used to it because I have a ton to use.

I don't think you ever burn Ash if you claim: It burns up so fast that is why they named it ash because it makes tons of ashes.....
Don't make ashes, make last then any other firewood.
Don't burn fast but burn hot.
Oak is my first choice but Ash is my second and I'm not the only one who claim this.....
Try burn some Ash.....

Gugi47 thanks for your comments I have burned ash before lots of times I am just not buying what you are selling mo ash burns super fast if it wet it's about like red oak but hey everyone is entitled to a opinion even me. Enjoy all the ash burning you want.

Gugi47, I burn almost all ash in my owb. It does ash over during idle time but when it calls for heat my air blower gets it going good again. It also coals up quite abit to but that is normal with any wood in an owb. I have to stir it up and pull coals to the front and let the air blower burn it up or it will just pile up. Now an older owb without baffles or a smoke bypass will not ash up as most of the ash gets blown right out the short chimney. I added 6' to my chimney and have really noticed that the coals build up now, I blame it on not as much fine ash going out the short chimney when the air blower kicks on. In the old days on still snowy mornings you could see the grey ash on the snow and sparks coming out the short chimney.

Gugi47, I burn almost all ash in my owb. It does ash over during idle time but when it calls for heat my air blower gets it going good again. It also coals up quite abit to but that is normal with any wood in an owb. I have to stir it up and pull coals to the front and let the air blower burn it up or it will just pile up. Now an older owb without baffles or a smoke bypass will not ash up as most of the ash gets blown right out the short chimney. I added 6' to my chimney and have really noticed that the coals build up now, I blame it on not as much fine ash going out the short chimney when the air blower kicks on. In the old days on still snowy mornings you could see the grey ash on the snow and sparks coming out the short chimney.

Kind of a side note but I always wondered why no one put a decent chimney on their OWB. I dont know much about them but I do burn wood and would think in a stand alone wood burner you couldn't have enough draft with a forced induced draft motor fueling the fire.

Mustang71, with a OWB you want to control the air as much as you can in order to control the burn (heat production) as much as possible. No natural draft is the best you can do because the electric damper will open and force air in to restart the burn ( heat production) when there is a call for heat. Therefore the shorter the chimney the lesser the natural (uncontrolled burn) draft there is. People add height to their OWB's usually to try to get smoke away from somewhere or up over buildings. I added to mine because during no wind the smoke would drop down and linger around my buildings and smell. My neighbour has a homemade OWB with a natural draft and he constantly has an over fire issue when it's windy out. He's also a little slow to replace his door gaskets so air is leaking in that way too. There is a learning curve to running an OWB for sure.

Makes sence. I guess I was thinking of it like a gas boiler where the aqua stat controls the burn. Draft wouldn't matter if the damper shut down the air to it when it was up to temp. I know they are not the same type of system but I dont know much about them.

There's a learning curve to heating with wood in general.

owb's do work the same as a gas boiler but maybe not as accurately. Draft doors are just gravity closed metal flaps and not sealed that well. A longer chimney would have more draft which would allow more air to leak in and continue the burn even when the flap was shut.

Back