ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Ash

Discussion in 'Picture Forum' started by thewoodlands, May 8, 2019.

1. thewoodlands

thewoodlands ArboristSite Lurker

Since EAB has hit our county north of here, I decided it was time I fell what ash we have on what I call the backhill , this should make for some nice firewood. Just from what I saw today, there should be another 8-10 trees.

Attached Files:

2. buzz sawyer

buzz sawyer Addicted to ArboristSite

Western border of mid-southern northern WV
    • I would be converting as much as possible to lumber. It may go the way of the American Chestnut.

Leeroy and Saiso like this.
  3. Saiso

Saiso Mountain Ranger

I agree.. if you have a saw mill or know someone with one, you should try to utilize some pieces by producing lumber or other project pieces. Nice wood!

4. thewoodlands

I did fell and buck up two more ash today, tomorrow I'll go for two more. I'll start with the ash in pic 9065 tomorrow.
    101_9065.JPG

Attached Files:

5. thewoodlands

I felled seven more ash today, that includes the small one that's bucked up in pic 9100. I did drag four logs out with the 4540, I'll probably buck everything up in the gully so the logs stay clean but I'll need an area to split in.

Attached Files:

6. milkman

milkman Addicted to ArboristSite

Ky. between Dead Horse Holler and Yellowbank.

Just started on my Ash, three down so far and three or four more to go. I hate to see them go, leaving open spaces around the house.

thewoodlands likes this.
  7. thewoodlands

I feel the same way, I usually just take what mother nature puts on the ground or tops off.

8. thewoodlands

I bucked up two of the ash trees that are in the gully and then pulled one out with the 4540 that's down further from the first couple of pics. I did move some of the rounds from pic 9103 to the splitter area.

Attached Files:

9. Huskybill

Huskybill Addicted to ArboristSite

I have two very large ash trees, one the ash beetle has just about killed it. It’s about 4’ across at the base maybe larger. I have a 36” & 42” bar but I’m going to need bigger for a mill. It’s sad to cut down these trees.

thewoodlands likes this.
  10. square1

square1 Addicted to ArboristSite

It only took 8 years at 13 federal cord per year to get mine cleared out. Enjoy!

thewoodlands likes this.
  11. thewoodlands

I split the rounds that I took to the splitter, after that I put the pallet forks on the 4540 and took the log near the splitter so I could bucked it up then split it.

I also did some clearing of the gully with the 4540, I plan on making it wide enough for the tractor, the rhino and the splitter can get down through there which is nice. I still have four full trees (ash) and one or two more ash trees cut in certain lengths to c/s.

Attached Files:

square1 likes this.
  12. thewoodlands

This morning I decided to check a cherry tree that is in the middle of the gully I've been cleaning up, it showed signs of ant damage so we put the cable on it and felled it.

Pic 9124 is the 4540 getting ready to pull the log up the hill, 9125 is the stump, 9126 is the bottom of the log,9127 is the cherry log up the hill, 9128 is my back saver,9129 is some clearing of dead pine in the gully,9130 is a white pine with pileated woodpecker damage and the last pic is the gully opened up on that end.

Attached Files:

13. alleyyooper

alleyyooper Addicted to ArboristSite

I have been cutting dead Ash for fire wood for nearly 20 years off my place and the neighbors (now mine) place.

I usually cut what I know I am going to need in the winter and block it up. Come fall I get in there and cut any thing up that fell during summer storms. Then start hauling what I blocked up during the winter out to the house.

I Only have a few standing dead left maybe a half dozen in all.

It is extra work but I have been collecting maple tree seeds near the house in the spring and throwing them out where I or the wind took the Ash down. I also do Acorns and hickory nuts in the area in the fall.

You would be surprized the seedlings I have coming up now from ankle to knee high.

As soon as we get some dry I am going to get this one out of there.

[​IMG]

Still solid wood after at least 15 years dead, stuff I skidded out last fall before the fall rains hit.

[​IMG]

Most of this has been cut up for fire wood but the big one in the foreground I am going to try to chain saw mill once thisngs dry out.

[​IMG]

:D Al

thewoodlands likes this.
  14. thewoodlands

Nice work Al, are you seeing any young healthy ash?