ASI line clearance regs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teacherman

Aging out of the insanity...
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howdy. I finally decided to combine my two favorite hobbies, climbing and cutting wood. I have insurance and climbing gear that I like (the zigzag and its little brother are awesome), and have applied for my city tree trimming license. I do NOT plan to put myself in a situational bind, so am proceeding slowly. The license exam had a question regarding federal regs on cutting near power lines. As many trees are within the ten foot no-go range, the question of ASI line clearance licensure presented itself. All I want to do is to be able to do tree trimming and removal for homeowners, and not be required to turn down work because the incoming power line is within ten feet of the tree. Just the 110/220 coming to the house, never the 700v lines in the alley. I did a search read the threads, and it was mostly about dedicated power line pruning, which my uninformed neighbors liken to tree butchery due to the suboptimal aesthetics that result.

Any thoughts, advice? Thank you in advance!

Around here the SWL for the secondaries and service drops is "up to but not touching". However, if any part of the tree is within the SWL of the primaries, the the whole tree needs a CUA. And if any tree, that is within a row of trees where the canopies are touching, is within the SWL of the primaries, then the whole row of trees is considered within the SWL.

May vary between jurisdictions.

Back