Asian Long-horned beetle I’d?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeMonkee58

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A1D077E1-13F5-4758-97E5-ECD56DB94D2A.jpeg can anyone I’d this grub. It looks like ALB but much larger. The bore is 3/4 to 1 inch and it was almost 4 inches long. I found it while splitting pecan I had removed in SE NC on the coast.

There are many, many other longhorned beetles that live in dead/dying wood. Even PhD entomologists can't always ID ALB from the larvae alone - they need to rear it to adulthood.

Are there other holes in the wood? One thing a little unique is that ALB makes a straight line from the center of the tree out when it emerges. When I worked at the State and would get ALB calls, I'd tell them to stick a pencil in the hole. If the hole is too small for a pencil, not ALB. If the pencil doesn't go in very far, not ALB.

Start with a local Extension office or the state department of agriculture. If it is ALB, they certainly want to know...

Always good to double check when you are suspicious!

I sent them a picture and location. I destroyed this one but will keep and rear any other that I find when I split the rest of the wood.

Latest posts

Back