Asphalt Driveway Under Mature Oaks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJBlackow

Reaction score
Hello all,

About two years ago, I purchased my first home. The home came with a dense canopy of mature oaks - all likely much older than the house itself. Last Fall, I had an asphalt driveway laid over the pre-existing gravel driveway. The driveway is a loop with 3 mature oaks in the center and 3 along the sides. I learned afterward that the asphalt may damage the trees over time. I'm wondering if, since the trees are so large - and presumably the root systems are so large - if perhaps they would be OK. If not, is there anything I can do?

Thank you,

Michael

Can we get photos of the area from several angles? Anytime you cover root systems, it can cause future trouble. What equipment was used? Where all was it driven?

The only equipment used was a small bobcat-type loader, a small steam roller, and a truck/paver. The truck would have been the largest thing on the driveway, but there already existed a gravel driveway with decades of compaction. Photos attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20200424_195031.jpg
    IMG_20200424_195031.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200411_175457.jpg
    IMG_20200411_175457.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 17
Back