asplundh chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drtumolo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am in the process of buying a asplundh chipper for private use. The serial number is D3586. Any info on what model and year it might be. I do know it has a 4cyl engine on it but I didnt take possession yet so dont know really any other details.

I could use some help with this chipper. It has a Ford 172ci 4 cyl engine and a 12 inch drum. Everything is working on it but it doesn't chip real good and it doesn't pull the tree branches into itself like the videos I see on line. I don't know what model Asplundh I own but I would think it should chip better then it is currently.

Here are a few pictures of my chipper. I have no idea what model Asplundh it is but it runs great but doesn't chip worth a crap. Knifes all all there but I don't know what to look for as far as how sharp or what gap they should be adjusted to. When you feed it a branch it just grinds on it but never chips it or pulls it in. Please help.IMG_0649.JPG IMG_0651.JPG IMG_0650.JPG IMG_0649.JPG IMG_0651.JPG IMG_0650.JPG

Your probably way over your head with this thing. It's really old and in poor condition.
You need to replace the blades and pull and adjust the bed knife. Check the drive belts.
Thats an oil cooler attached to the blower, very odd. Probably had an overheat problems so you might want to core the radiator.
Also need to install a hose on the blower.
This thing has a 5 bolt blade retainer block. Never seen that before and I thought I had seen everything.
Good luck but you might be better off getting something in better condition.

All belts and clutch are in great shape. It starts easy has good oil pressure. I am happy with what I have invested so far if I can get it to chip. I just don't know anything about knife adjustment or even what knifes to buy for it.

Does anyone have a link to a video showing the knife replacement. I wont get to work on my chipper till next weekend but would like to watch video to see what I have to look forward to.

I think you ought be dreading, rather than looking forward to the experience.

Your probably way over your head with this thing. It's really old and in poor condition.
You need to replace the blades and pull and adjust the bed knife. Check the drive belts.
Thats an oil cooler attached to the blower, very odd. Probably had an overheat problems so you might want to core the radiator.
Also need to install a hose on the blower.
This thing has a 5 bolt blade retainer block. Never seen that before and I thought I had seen everything.
Good luck but you might be better off getting something in better condition.

I'm not not sure that is an an Asplundh manufactured chipper. Some of those really old chippers with Asplundh lettering were actually manufactured by other companies.
I saw one sitting out in a field a while back where that was the case. It had Asplundh on the back but it was some other old brand you rarely hear of. At any rate, I wouldn't
spend fifty cents or five minutes on that old machine. Just asking for trouble.

Just so you know this chipper is only for my private use, not for a business. I have very little money into it and with a new battery it started up and runs really good. My only complaint is it wont chip. I am sure it is due to the blades being dull and out of adjustment.

Ok I couldn't wait till next weekend to work on the chipper. All the bolts for the knifes came out! The knifes are Asplundh pn 012-0014-22 and they measure 11 & 15/16 x 2.5x 3/8. Every knife I find with that part number is 3" tall not 2.5". Do you think they are worn 1/2 inch? Seems like a lot.

Back