asplundh chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My chipper is a D series so the two extra bolts are for your blade adjustment. Once everything is set and you torqued the wedge bolts to 90 lbs then you torque the adjustment bolts to 50 foot pounds. I ran the chipper today and the one drum bearing started to get very hot and squeal. I think I need to replace the drum bearings. It takes the same bearings as a JEI series. They are # N.D. 77616L-R1Z. I can not find these online anywhere but can find a chart that shows alternative manufactures (skf, timkin ect) for the ND77616. I am worried about the last part of the # since I am not sure what the L-R1Z stands for.

ok I talked to altec today and they gave me a new part number fore the bearings. It is a skf 63162rs1c3. they are pretty expensive bearings from skf. I can find generic bearings for 1/4 the price. Trying to decide what to do.

I did check the local bearing supply houses and they are averaging 300 per bearing. I can get the non sealed ones at work for free. The A series thru C series didn't use seals but had grease fittings. Everything else on the drawings look the same for the A - C and my D series chipper. I am thinking of using the non sealed bearings and drilling and tapping for grease fittings. Thoughts?

Thoughts???
"What could possibly go wrong?" is something I ask myself about 175 times a day.
Personally, I'd probably spring for the SKF bearings, cause changing them is something you want to do, like not often. bearings mfg. in China or Mozambique or Kazakhstan will be cheaper though...

Brings back memories. I remember the day my Dad and I went to pick up our new 16 inch Asplundh chipper. He ordered the Ford 300 6 cylinder because my uncle had two with Ford v8's. The V8's had wider radiators and his guys kept crushing the rads backing up. My wife said I looked like a slave that had been whipped when she saw me with my shirt off the first time. There is a reason they call them "chuck and duck" chippers. Good luck with yours. I think the manual said the machine would chip wood half the length of the blades, so our 16 would chip 8" wood. A 12 should do 6". I don't know if the four cylinder will pull that well. We had a friend with a 12 but it had the same Ford 300 6 that ours did, Joe.

Wow are these drum bearings hard to get out. I destroyed the tapered bushing on the drive side and still have not got off the flywheel. I read that the bushings are Woods F3. If you go to TB woods sight they have multiple variations of the F3 bushing based on shaft diameter. I don't have a caliper handy to get an exact measurement tonight. Any idea what on I would need?

your correct in moving the bolts over to other holes to push bushing off taper but it seems to be seized on. I have a lot of torque on bolts and so far no movement

I finally got the bearings out of the chipper. Wow what a job. I had to destroy both of the taper hubs. The one bearing was absolutely trashed. Now I need to find parts for reassembly.

I now have both tapered bushings on order and I have new bearings in possession. Hopefully I can start reassembly this coming weekend. After talking to all the Millwrights here at work I decided to go with open bearings and add grease fittings like the older units had. The bearings were much cheaper (free) and they feel as long as I grease routinely they will last longer then the sealed units. Hopefully they are correct.

Sounds like you've paid your dues... Hope it gives you some good service before any more problems.

Ok I finally got a set-up manual for all the old Asplundh chippers that Altec put together. Looking at the manual it appears the chipper I bought is a D series. I plan to install the new knives and anvil this weekend. Hopefully that will get this old beast chipping again.
Where did you find the manual at as I need one for my Altec chipper.

Back