Asplundh j e y series chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Del 5706

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am currently working on an asplundh Jey series 16 inch chipper. For some reason the belt pulley on the engine side walked out and hit the frame. I've removed the bell housing and clutch the only thing I see wrong is the pilot bearing is shot and I wouldn't believe that the pilot bearing could hold the input shaft in. With that being said I do not see any kind of retainer that would hold that input shaft from moving in and out. Does anybody have any advice?

Many chippers don't have a pilot bearing retainer. This is usually the case for John Deere and Cummins engine. Cat/Perkins has a pilot bearing retainer. I'm confused. Did the pulley walk on the shaft? If so, the bushing in the pulley might be bad. I would purchase a new pilot bearing and make sure that it didn't wear down the flywheel. The pilot bearing should fit tight in the flywheel. There are usually more bearings in the nose of the clutch and not just the pilot bearing.

Hope this helps,

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

I am currently working on an asplundh Jey series 16 inch chipper. For some reason the belt pulley on the engine side walked out and hit the frame. I've removed the bell housing and clutch the only thing I see wrong is the pilot bearing is shot and I wouldn't believe that the pilot bearing could hold the input shaft in. With that being said I do not see any kind of retainer that would hold that input shaft from moving in and out. Does anybody have any advice?
is this what yours looks like ?http://operatormanuals.tpub.com/TM-55-4920-384-13-P/TM-55-4920-384-13-P0198im.jpg if so I bet 7,8&9 are your problem they will be behind the release bearing assembly.

Likely the sloppy piolet caused vibration and finally broke the snap ring holding the bearing in if its not wore out you may get by with a snap ring and piolet bushing!

Yes... yes... that is exactly it and the exploded view I've been looking for. Thank you so very much.

Yes... yes... that is exactly it and the exploded view I've been looking for. Thank you so very much.
You will have to take it all apart be gentile some of that stuff is hard to come by! If its just bearing and snap ring take the bearing to any decent bearing supply store and they should be able to match it up!

Do you have manual for the chipper ? If not I can copy one and mail to you. Can't fiqure how to e-mail one
Steve

Back