Asplundh whisper chipper JEY

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But I guess in the end I'm still ahead I bought machine for 1500 buck's wit clutch issue now I'm about to have new clutch and pto parts and I got 2500 in it so not bad if I look at it that way and Craigslist has same machine but with 4cyl ford engine for 4900 so I look at it being alright since mine does have way more balls

Yeah haha well if u have means to make it do it cuz those parts in pic cost me 901 whipper snappers from Foley engines but they were exellent help .... but they should offer veterans discount cuz they hit the wallet hard there I was thinking maybe they jus wanted arm or leg but they took the left nut haha
I'll give the left but not muh right :rolleyes: I'm just glad to know they can fix them cause when mine goes down going to need them!!
:surprised3:

But I guess in the end I'm still ahead I bought machine for 1500 buck's wit clutch issue now I'm about to have new clutch and pto parts and I got 2500 in it so not bad if I look at it that way and Craigslist has same machine but with 4cyl ford engine for 4900 so I look at it being alright since mine does have way more balls
Yes and a left nut :dancing:

When you get ready to assemble it make sure the piolet bearing will slip over that shaft because that is why its hell to get off and on if it is file it until it can slip on! The end of the shaft gets swelled and well hopefully your understanding me?

Yeah my pilot bearing was seized on shaft and it blew apart so the inner ring of bearing was still on had to cut it off wit dremil but will do on filing that end down so it slides on and off cuz I dont want anymore problems ... and yeah it is nice to know there are parts still even tho they cost a testicle or two lol

Yeah my pilot bearing was seized on shaft and it blew apart so the inner ring of bearing was still on had to cut it off wit dremil but will do on filing that end down so it slides on and off cuz I dont want anymore problems ... and yeah it is nice to know there are parts still even tho they cost a testicle or two lol
I used a roll lock disc on my air angle grinder and dressed the end up but a file will work!

LOL I draw the line; only one testie :omg:

parts in pic cost me 901 whipper snappers

OUCH!

You could have bought a used welder and a lathe off craigslist for that, and had them for life and all future similar projects.

Full disclosure: did not get my first metal lathe till I was 27 YO , so there is hope for you (Grin). Have had a metal lathe for close to 45 years now.

Im sure it's a nice thing to have in high school I use to love working on the metal and wood lathes I was really good at that sum day would like to get one to play with but gotta make sum cash for them toys and I got toys to fix to make cash now the chipper then a bucket truck boom is next on the to do list right now I'm finishing up a rebuild on a c50 dump truck had to get new clutch for that also but was a simple fix becides the engine rebuild lol

so i got my parts installed for the pto and all put back together now i'm having a fun time trying to figure out how to get my blades out so i can put spare ones in and resharpen others. i have all 16 allen screws out. loaded the whole thing down with wd40 and let it set over night before doing that so i thought the wd40 would have loosened everything up since those allen screws came out smoothly thought they were gonna be stuck but were just torqued to like 100ftlbs. any secrets to the magic of removing blade wedges? and havnt gotten to the cutting bar removel yet but figured it needs sum love too since im dishing it out right now haha

so i got my parts installed for the pto and all put back together now i'm having a fun time trying to figure out how to get my blades out so i can put spare ones in and resharpen others. i have all 16 allen screws out. loaded the whole thing down with wd40 and let it set over night before doing that so i thought the wd40 would have loosened everything up since those allen screws came out smoothly thought they were gonna be stuck but were just torqued to like 100ftlbs. any secrets to the magic of removing blade wedges? and havnt gotten to the cutting bar removel yet but figured it needs sum love too since im dishing it out right now haha
the offset hole in wedge "short bolt" It's a cap to keep crud out put one of the long bolts in it and tighten until it pushes wedge out! in other words the 3 long one short that come out of the blade wedges the short "offset hole" is a pusher hole I hope i'm making sense lol

Cutter bar has two big bolts that need removed then under the cutter bar holder is set screws and jam nuts that set its height. You will need to back them out some to remove the holder be careful it likes to fall when you least expect it! Once its out,, allen bolts hold the bar to the holder and it has 4 sides flip it to un unused side put back in but wait to adjust until your blades are in and set to the bore. Don't put it in backwards it has a bevel before the mating surface the bevel will face the feed table!

Most here use anti seize on the blade bolts! Torque them at least 3 times to make sure they are set and tight. You do not want the wedge or blades flying out!

To adjust the blades to bore slide the blades over to drum each side and adjust them flush to the bore casting! If your not sure what im talking about, I will take a picture of mine tomorrow! I usually double check while adjusting until both sides of the blade meets the bore indicator then center blade drop in wedge and torque 3 times minimum.

After that is done, carefully adjust cutter bar up to near.020 of the blades again double check each blade "turning it backwards by hand" make sure none hit the cutter bar.

torque cutter bar holder set jam nuts and recheck that blades do not touch cutter bar!

Use gloves and disconnect battery if not already done before setting blades.

ok so i did try the long bolt in short hole bcuz i thought it had to be a special deal but didnt try to tighten that tight didnt wanna strip it but since that is for sure the way ill go for it again tomorrow and thanks for all the further instructions on the rest cant wait to get this puppy shredding like a champ... ill get back with ya tommorrow sumtime and hopefully i get blades out easily as it seems lol

I'd **** can the WD40 and use some decent penetrating oil. PB Blaster, Kroil, etc, etc.

well hey the wd40 worked is all i gotta say ive used pb blaster works good too... wd40 just available in gallon jugs for me and i just used industrial spray bottles cheaper that way and not paying for compressed air so saving the wallet stress and getting job done works for me. im not a picky lube guy if spit worked id just do that lol but about to put the crankin on blade wedge been raining this morning so got delayed

got the blades out thanks for the tip glad they came out easily so how short can these blades get by sharpening before they are to far gone just wondering cuz i have a few with sum pretty serious knicks in them

got the blades out thanks for the tip glad they came out easily so how short can these blades get by sharpening before they are to far gone just wondering cuz i have a few with sum pretty serious knicks in them
Take them to a reputable sharpener they will or should know specs angles etc. My memory says two inches but i'm a tad old so i don't trust it on critical stuff:laugh: Ok i'll get a picture and explain the bore indicator gimmie few mints:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back