Asplundh whisper chipper JEY

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool and thanks alot again for ur help would be a bump on a log without this site haha or jus broke as crap from paying ppl but like I stated in my screen name I prefer to be the dyi guy on most everything I can take on

And there isn't anything better then to know the ins and outs of your own equiptment bcuz u never know when sumthing could happen and knowing how to fix it on spot could really come in handy

Ok see that edge with wedge out slide blade side to side on top of adjusters and adjust the blades edge on both sides to it! That edge marks the bore and simplifies height adjusting of blades.

WIN_20160728_10_41_03_Pro.jpg

Ok so that's what those bolt's are down there I was wondering if the blades sat on those when I took them out I didn't really see how it was in there cuz I jus loosen it and spun drum and let blade and wedge all fall out so blade edge shouldn't be past the round part on outside of drum or I guess start of angle edge should be 1/4 " from edge of drum

Ok so that's what those bolt's are down there I was wondering if the blades sat on those when I took them out I didn't really see how it was in there cuz I jus loosen it and spun drum and let blade and wedge all fall out so blade edge shouldn't be past the round part on outside of drum or I guess start of angle edge should be 1/4 " from edge of drum

Slide the blade over against drum to set the blades by raising or lower adjusters "yes down there":) After you get it all adjusted and double checked both sides then center the blade and drop wedge in and bolts and torque!

I may not be explaining it right, disregard my installed set in picture! Wedges and blades out, place blade in hole on the adjusters slide blade over against drum on one side and adjust it until flush with the edge I pointed at! do other side same way and double check sliding it against drum both ways!

Do all blades this same way!

You understand what I'm getting at ? with the bolts and wedge out of that picture the blade will slide against the drum by hand, the adjusters can then be lowered or raised by turning until the blade is even with the edge I pointed at with my turkey striker!

After height is established the wedge can be put in and blade centered and bolts put in and torqued.

We had mechanics at my last job that did not know this. They put new blades in and chipper wouldn't chip without pushing it through! The blade height setting is what makes it grab wood and pull it into cutter bar!

Ok gotchya so blade edge should be at same height as the round edge on the housing wall and I understand on the slide left and right to make sure blade is level across ways so it not crooked in there.... well I hope I can find sumone to sharpen these for me or I'm gonna have to buy new blades or a.sharpener I found a good one for the job I think jus pricey it's a "makita horizontal wet wheel blade sharpener".... I'm hopin I can find sum body I been calling around and been getting tossed around like a Frisbee and all deadends but still searching cuz will be way cheaper to get them sharpened and keep them sharp

Ok gotchya so blade edge should be at same height as the round edge on the housing wall and I understand on the slide left and right to make sure blade is level across ways so it not crooked in there.... well I hope I can find sumone to sharpen these for me or I'm gonna have to buy new blades or a.sharpener I found a good one for the job I think jus pricey it's a "makita horizontal wet wheel blade sharpener".... I'm hopin I can find sum body I been calling around and been getting tossed around like a Frisbee and all deadends but still searching cuz will be way cheaper to get them sharpened and keep them sharp
The angles are touchy we sharpened them on a lappit machine 25k lol
Icic makes sense so blades adjust evening across with circle on drum housing and what should the cutter bar be adjusted to from blade tips
Well to be honest they say .020 but its critical they do not touch! I always adjusted them in field by eye as close as possible without them touching was my motto :) Which usually meant a business card

Always carefully rotate the rotor by hand backwards to make sure everything clears after torquing

Gotchya sounds like I got chipper all lined out assuming I can find a person to sharpen blades bcuz I've called so many places and still getting nowhere fast I'm about to jus give up and take them to this guy that says he could get them sharp jus don't know how straight he can keep edge since they so long

Gotchya sounds like I got chipper all lined out assuming I can find a person to sharpen blades bcuz I've called so many places and still getting nowhere fast I'm about to jus give up and take them to this guy that says he could get them sharp jus don't know how straight he can keep edge since they so long
lol no no you be better off sending them to get sharpened than getting half assed

I've got 2 sets that are both pretty bad shape one is better off then other tho but yeah I have few connections to sum Amish folks so gonna try them and one other try my high school metal shop teacher that's still there and I'm sure they have a machine to get it done and I was pretty cool wit him in school so gonna try that also and if I contact him I'll probably be able to get semi-access to metal shop jus have to contact him but would be a good deal for future deals like this/resharpening

The angles are touchy we sharpened them on a lappit machine 25k lol

Well to be honest they say .020 but its critical they do not touch! I always adjusted them in field by eye as close as possible without them touching was my motto :) Which usually meant a business card

Always carefully rotate the rotor by hand backwards to make sure everything clears after torquing

We use a handsaw blade laid on the anvil and adjust to that,,, beautiful,
Jeff

Ok so im back I got blades sharpend torqued to 120ft/lbs adjusted cutting bar after flipping it to my last good edge... and transmission all back together and everthing and I can't for the life of me get it to start now been replacing electrical stuff cuz my key switch was giving me probs before like the key would turn and a gear would slip inside keyswitch and I'd have to turn key slowly so it would start but it would work but i replaced it for new one and since it sat for the time of me working on it she ain't wanting to go now I know there isn't much to the electrical stuff but I'm stumped been trying things any hints or tips would be awesome cuz im willing to try it all

Back