Asplundh whisper chipper JEY

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I found a lil cheaper 65bucks with shipping other one is 87 bucks free shipping and that's the trombetta brand so if you know a spot that's cheaper please do tell..... thanks mike

considering that every thing has risen in price over the past few years that sounds ok. Make sure all the safety switches are working properly as well.

Ok gonna order it so I can get this thing going for good Haha I hate working on minor electrical stuff like this, it's the most frustrating part of mechanical issues. And the safety switches your talking about, do you mean just make sure the ignition switch is operating correctly or ????

In theory if not disabled there should be a couple on access panels and perhaps on the feed- depends on model and age. Not the ignition switch but tied into that circuit & like fuel pump as well. if one of those is opened or closed ( depending on use ) no start, or if running and one gets tripped, will just die. Thiink of the seat switch on a lawn tractor.

Hmmm well I'm pretty sure my model is a 1984 and it has mechanical fuel pump and I'm not aware of any switches other then ignition switch, only electrical stuff I have is battery, alternator, ignition coil, dizzy, ignition switch, starter relay, starter motor, gauges, and I think a voltage regulator. And I just walked around it looking while listing these lol and if you have more electrical then this besides maybe lights hooked up you got a electrical nightmare I hate newer vehicles because of all the electrical crap. they claim all this stuff gets you a whopping 5mpg more out of your fuel consumption and in the long run causes grief and aggravation and extra cash that isn't really needed so is that whopping 5mpg extra worth it in the end..... in my opinion no, I'd rather support the middle easts' oil refineries lol that's all they got ..... we just need to work on renewable fuel to bring fuel cost down, not how to make it go longer with this sensor for that sensor and so on, or maybe even get back to hydrogen fuel cells so we can run our **** on water and worse come to worse make the areas with high populations just more humid lol jk nah im not sure how hydrogen exhausts' into air but I assume it's just used and exhausted as humidity with minor pollutants heck idk sounds good tho....

I like old school stuff myself- but eventually time takes its toll and parts sources dry up. I have a shop full of old machine tools that I manage to keep running ( one way or another) but it is getting a lot harder.
I am guessing this is a gas eng?

Yup ford 300 inline 6 and I know the parts issue I had to get a new PTO assembly for mine cause previous owner roached the clutch beyond easy repair and took a while but glad to have this site cause a fellow on here have me the info to a place I believe Foley engines and they took me thru a website while on the phone and showed exact pic of the parts I needed and had me up and going again but it did cost like 900 bucks for the parts kinda rough but that was 3 years ago so the wallet pain is gone now but I have mulched my whole yard and loaded our garden with mulch from this puppy so it was totally worth every penny and not to mention I got it for a steal because of the issues it had of coarse lol but I wish I had some fabricating tools to make parts instead of forking out 900 bucks

I have a 1986 morbark 200 with the 2.3 ford 4 cyl I had the starter get stuck on during use. It started properly but then the solenoid failed at some point during chipping so i couldnt hear the starter. This caused the starter to try to engage the flywheel at 2500 rpm for God knows how long so it melted the battery cable, solenoid, and starter. It ate the starter gear completly which wasn't a big issue since the starter melted anyway put the big pain was that it ate the ring gear on the flywheel so off came the clutch and flywheel so yes in my case an extra 50 bucks would have saved me several hours of repair and money for parts luckily I could atleast warranty the starter to AutoZone

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Ouch, that sounds terrible. I didn't even think about fly wheel, hopefully mine is ok but luckily for me it happened when trying to start rather then middle of use cuz I can totally see why u didn't here it chippers are loud Haha that's what is ironic about the " whisper" chipper name cuz she definatly dont whisper.

Screenshot_20180707-114714_Chrome.jpg so does the description match the specs needed for my application? And I figured I'd post pic of price and site I found it on so other peeps can fix there probs with the right solution and not the cheap one that could result in more expensive repairs as "no tree to big" unfortunately had.... and especially if the part only cost 60 bucks vs. a new flywheel which cost and that's not even mentioning the labor involved Haha so 60bucks vs God knows what if available + lots of labor I think 60 bucks is worth it and now you all have the means to order yourself the right part without the headache of internet searching it your self because I did the leg work on that with some excellent help from "blades" throwing me a part number.

Ok so I just got my mack daddy, made in the USA, starter relay/solenoid in the mail. Seems way sturdier then the cheapos I was buying that were made in china. Now how to wire it up it doesn't have any terminals labeled so which wires do I put where? Obviously the power wire from battery and power wire to starter go to big terminals but which way and same with small terminals which way do wires go or do I just hook them up in same positions as old solenoid just in the places on new one ?

Use Google it's your friend
c75029b1c27110dee74460ea6bc4b76b.jpg

big terminals as you surmised are for battery juice to starter. = bat. ter to one then other to + terminal of starter which one is which doesn't matter as /or shouldn't as the contacts are independent of the relay coil. Relay coil terminals - need to check to see if one is grounded to the mounting tabs of the relay assembly ( some are /some are not) so if one shows continuity from the terminal to the relay frame/ mount that is the neg terminal that makes the other the connection to ignition switch. If niether are grounded to relay frame then it should not mater as you are only enerrgizing the coil to pull the main contacts together works in either direction current flow wise on a DC relay coil. if there is only one small terminal then chances are that it is grounded internall to the mounting frame of the relay (Not common any more as on cars most of your operating circuits are computer controlled and as such operate on an independant grounding net work -not to frame ( but that another discussion). hope this helps

Yeah your diagram looks just like my cheapo wire diagram so i guess everything is in same locations just on a different model relay... figure it was something like that just wanna be sure I dont hook it up backwards

Ouch, that sounds terrible. I didn't even think about fly wheel, hopefully mine is ok but luckily for me it happened when trying to start rather then middle of use cuz I can totally see why u didn't here it chippers are loud Haha that's what is ironic about the " whisper" chipper name cuz she definatly dont whisper.
She's just a whisper after 30 years mate trust me :p But you think those are bad hop in a 90 hp tractor with a brown tree cutter buzzin or a kershaw lol.

I have a 1986 morbark 200 with the 2.3 ford 4 cyl I had the starter get stuck on during use. It started properly but then the solenoid failed at some point during chipping so i couldnt hear the starter. This caused the starter to try to engage the flywheel at 2500 rpm for God knows how long so it melted the battery cable, solenoid, and starter. It ate the starter gear completly which wasn't a big issue since the starter melted anyway put the big pain was that it ate the ring gear on the flywheel so off came the clutch and flywheel so yes in my case an extra 50 bucks would have saved me several hours of repair and money for parts luckily I could atleast warranty the starter to AutoZone

That blows I have got in the practice of flipping my starter ring any time i have a tranny off saved me frustration on a few occasions! I used my weed torch last one i flipped cause i was out of oxy lol.

Latest posts

Back