Asplundh whisper chipper JEY

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I got new relay wired up and charged my battery up and reconnected positive to battery and when I went to turn the key it did the shutter thing as if battery was dead and it was fully charged. I continued to turn key off and back to try to start and didn't even do the shutter after that first time so I used some pliers and jumped the solenoid to see if that would work and of coarse it turned it. so then I went back to key and ignition was working now after jumping it initially but..... my engine will not start up now it turns over but doesn't fire, and fyi it was running fine before old relay welded up. So what could be my issue now? And one other thing when it cranks now it seems to have a different sound to it idk how to explain but you know when u have owned something so long your just used to the way it sounds.... well my spidey sense tells me there is something different about the sound maybe it just has a more powerful crank over with the new relay idk not sure any input would be great. it's just so hot out today, I can't just go poking around trying to find something in this heat but I can sacrifice my well being to check something out only thing is idk what to check on right now Haha maybe the heat is getting to me it tends to do a better job at that when your trying to fix something out in the open with zero shade lol

Bad main ground connection would be my first guess, next would be broken wire(s) inside insulation sleeve or badly corroded ones. note if you apply 12v to the small lead positive side the eng should crank . i forget gas or diesel?

Gas, Ford 300 inline 6 and the ground and power cables are new just replaced them last year or year before and I put sodder on the tips that were exposed because my last ones had corrosion real bad.... but insulation sleeve? Is that the wiring harness? But I got it to crank over it just isnt wanting to fire I killed the battery cranking it and like I said before it started fine for weeks before that p.o.s relay welded up so I'm boggled lol

I feel your pain I just bought an old bobcat 310 and I'm trying to get it all sorted out dude talked a big game when I looked at it but everything he said he fixed is coming undone! Right now I'm trying to get the clutches adjusted. You adjust one thing it puts another out, I thought that part would be easy turn the nuts a little until it works ha! It seems virtually impossible to get proper forward and reverse while having a neutral position where both clutches on one side are released.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Yeah I been sorting a lot of things out on a lot of things here lately Haha been finding deals on fixer uppers for a while and good deals are always hard work Haha been fixing things on a old bucket truck, dump truck, wood chipper, mf3165 tractor all had a lot of kinks when first got but most of them are out now but some things pop up at the worst times lol... but how does that lil bobcat dig? Would be a nice lil machine for tight places and driving in yards without making a deep mess... how much does it weigh and if you dont mind me asking how much did it cost you just wondering price range on those smaller bobcats?

No idea how it digs virgin ground probably not too amazing due to its lack of weight, it weighs 1800 pounds its 35 or 36" wide with regular tires a bit wider with turf tires. I got it mainly for forking logs I haven't run this thing yet due to it being a bit of a project. Seems by the time I'm done I'll have taken it virtually completely apart and put it back together. There are a couple guys around that run machines that small they seem to do a lot with them. It'll tear up lawns if you turn although it's small it is still a skid steer. But the good thing is you can run it down a single run of plywood.
I paid 3 grand for it it supposidly had an engine rebuild 2 or 3 years ago and it was painted(****** job, paint comes off if you look at it wrong or touch it with a wrench which I'm doing a lot of....) it's got several new hoses, axle seals and all new bushings and bolts for the bucket and lift arm.
It will need new set of the the aggressive tires soon or I can stick to my turf tires. So far I'm into it for like 40 bucks of parts and several hours of tedious sweaty covered in hydro oil tinkering out in the sun. It wouldn't have been so bad but I had to crack into the chaincase glad I did it tho I had a stripped bolt hole in the drive linkage and it would have fell out b4 too long. I probably have to buy another 40 bucks in parts and another day or two or three of messing with it...

Icic well that's awesome it can run down a single lane of ply wood that should make working in ppl yards a bit cheaper... but I totally feel you on the virtually taking it apart and putting back together, so far the dump truck, tractor, and chipper have been wrenched down pretty good and the tractor will be due for some more after summer just have to bushhog our farm rest of summer and can start in on the few things needing fixed... but hey good luck on the skidsteer project you'll eventually have that puppy up and going and be tearing threw projects with it Haha

Ok gassr no start but cranks- 1 no fuel, 2 no spark, You will have to forgive my mental laspes, electric or mechanical fuel pump, but check to make sure fuel filter isn't plugged first, electric pump comes on with that lovely ignition switch of yours again fuel filter. no spark - coil not energized ( been down that road a time or two) , distibutor? points or pick up coil ( sometimes called a reluctance coil) in dist. again system energized with ignition switch. distributor cap arcing internally. Those 300 sixs will out last most of the external doodads that make them run. last but not least voltage regulator in alternator if not an external model. Takes time to trace this stuff and you can't skip around.

used to have a NH ss 485 ( 5k weight class ) never could get the creep adjusted out of it when running above 2000 rpm. Now looking for one about 50/60 hp or a TLB, it was always either a bit shy or too much but got a lot of work done with it.

Ok so it's got a mechanical fuel pump so shouldn't be having problems there but I will check to make sure it's getting fuel....or heck that there is fuel in tank I didn't even check that Haha. I dont have a fuel gauge. But could the relay welding up have made the ignition melt internally or something because it just seems like the relay welding up caused this other thing to happen so I'm wondering if it's something directly in line with the relay because like I said it was and has been running great since the last relay was replaced with this cheap one that welded up but I should have by past that issue with this made in u.s.a relay.

Have you checked for spark? Tried hitting it with starting fluid? My Bobcat started fine for a couple weeks then it rained engine looked dry wouldn't pop on spray engine looked dry turned out the points were soaked under the little cover. Moisture is your enemy...

So its actually raining here now Haha was like 105 heat index with that normal so-il 75% relative humidity with full sun yesterday and today it's like 75, over cast, but raining here and there so the temps are great for working on something but it's raining once I try to start something lol havnt made it out to check gas yet... was finishing fixing my turn signal switch on my dump truck cuz was having lighting issues with that and the state porkers had to make it a big deal and pull me over for nothing and continue on to inspect my truck and notice my back brake light on driver wasn't working so he found something after the fact of pulling me over to write me a warning luckily it wasn't a ticket. But was more important to fix for me today Haha so I at least got one project checked off for the day lol

Yeah I luckily didn't have anything in truck cuz he also told me I need to get a class c license for over 16k lbs so he gonna be watching for me loaded I'm sure now... but what I think is b.s is that we have these amish ppl all around us here that dont pay a lick of road taxes cuz I dont see plates on there tractors and I know they arnt registering them with the state and for got sake they arnt required to have a driver lisence for a tractor so what I wanna know is how can they pull a full size john deere excavator on a deck over tandam trailer behind there tractor down the freaking highway and not have to pay any sort of road taxes nor have a class c lisence!!! Is there a way to convert to amish I wouldnt have a problem rocking the denims and a huge beard if I could get outta all the road taxes and detear cops just cuz of the paper work involved with them lol

Oh so just because he is amish he is farming that sounds like a stereotype Haha but heck he could have been hauling that to someone's house he is digging a pond for and getting paid and I bet the fuel in his tractor was red and that's federal but you dont ever see amish ppl pulled over... heck the same ones I see all the time had a dang horse pulling them in a golf cart down the highway the other day I came up behind it over a hill and was like WTF!!! Lol if it had been wet out he would have been smashed... sorry for the amish rant Haha but I get stuck behind them all the time and the highway I'm talking about is hilly and turny so not much area to pass safely. "Those English men dont have the patience to drive slowly" (amish quote) I'm sure they all say it as we pass them haha

Latest posts

Back