Asplundh Whisper Chipper Replacement Parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just told by altech that they do not have the adjustment screws since the machine is sold old. I am guessing it is around 60's. Any clue where I could get these?

What is the model # of yours?

I have a 2 of manuals for them that you might like to read. They give full instructions for the bade installation and maintenance. One of them is at http://altecep.com/altec-manuals.htm . If you post your email address, I will send you the other.

For the adjustment screws, I bought Big set screws that were grade 10 fine thread. I only needed 2, but they cost me $12. each, LOL. It has the 3/8" Allen at the one end to do the adjustment. The other end has a cup end like most set screws which the blade sits on real nice. I bought them the same Leight as the original adjustment screws.

whisper chipper manual

Hi Everyone,
any chance i can get a copy of the pages for romoval/replacement/adjustment of the blades on a asplundh 12" drum chipper?
Thanks,
George Cassidy
[email protected]

I am in the need of a starter for a very old whisper chipper late 60's to early 70s' the ones I can buy from the local auto part's store do not work . I was told it might be a ford industrial engine and am unable to getany info fro the local ford indudtrial people . I am out of ideas . if anyone might have some info it would be greatly appricated

Does the alternator have a pulley with 3 grooves and the middle one is not used? I bought a new alternator ( externally regulated) and had the local machine shop bore out the pulley to fit on the larger shaft of the new alt. I used blue loctite, c-washer, and a couple of nuts. I can get you more info if this helps. PM me and I can send some pics, etc. My chipper has the Ford 300 Industrial straight six.

i'm searching for info for my 1986 16" whisper chipper

hello, im excited to see a thread about this chipper!

hopefully someone here can help.

my questions are:

1. how do i set up the blades and cutter bar?

and where i need to clarity on is the setup. ive read this thread and dont follow.

"adjust cutter bar .020 below the bore." & "adjust blades to .032 to cutter bar"

2. is the bore the tunnel floor?

3. do these set up specs and the blade torqing/seating procedures apply to my model?

4.good blade, poor blade? manufacturer/brand name?

5. i know of blades by woodland pro, would those be a good quality?

6. for my model is there a repair/operating manual available or even a copy/online?

it is a 1986 16" drum ford 300 ci inline 6. serial number is available.

thanks in advance.
dave,

Asplundh Whisper Chipper manual

I am looking to buy a service manual for a 70's Asplundh 12" whisper chipper. I have had no luck so far. Can anyone direct me to a website or give me a number to call where I can order one? Thanks.

Asplundh Manual

Hey guys great thread I have been following this site for some time. I have a well used but great running 16" asplundh chuck and duck with the Ford V8. I have owned it for about five years now. It was first sold in 1986. I have to go check if it is a JEX or a JEY.

I do have a partial manual but I would love to get my hands on a full one if I can, especially for this year range.

Thanks, John

Asplundh Chipper Manual

Gents - I sell professional copies of original manuals and I have ones for Asplundh Jex chippers. By the way, what is the difference between Jey and Jex model chippers? If you want info on a manual, you can email me at: [email protected] Thanks!

Ok I checked my chipper and it is an "E" series. Does anyone have a owner's manual for an "E" series Asplundh wood chipper. I believe it is a 1984-1986 model, 16" with a 351 Windsor (Ford) motor in it. Thanks

Do You Have .pdf Manual for a JEX Asplundh Whisper Chipper?

send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a pdf of instructions for the JEY Asplund model.

I've got a Asplundh JEX series that we just finished using to chipp buried trees with lots of sand on them it was pretty rough on the blades so I've bought new ones and just cannot get the cutter bar out with all four bolts removed. I think it should just drop out onto whomever or whatever is below, but no way, I'll check Monday to see if somebody tack welded the bar block onto the chipper drum. Other than that I duuno.

Northland Chipper Service is going to get manuals for me, I've already paid for them, but USA to BC Canada (snail) mail is weeks too slow, I'd like to get this machine running again sooner.

Spudsnstuff in BC Canada

Hi guys I to have a JEY chipper 1989 model could use more info on this unit and 4 cylinder hercules engines ( x1600 )

I've got a Asplundh JEX series that we just finished using to chipp buried trees with lots of sand on them it was pretty rough on the blades so I've bought new ones and just cannot get the cutter bar out with all four bolts removed. I think it should just drop out onto whomever or whatever is below, but no way, I'll check Monday to see if somebody tack welded the bar block onto the chipper drum. Other than that I duuno.

Northland Chipper Service is going to get manuals for me, I've already paid for them, but USA to BC Canada (snail) mail is weeks too slow, I'd like to get this machine running again sooner.

Spudsnstuff in BC Canada

Spudsnstuff send me your address and I can sent you a copy of the JEX manual I have sent your address to jpchurchley @hotmail.com

To set the blades on my JEY (12 inch) , I took a builders framing square and cut it to 12.625 inches long. That way it will span across the two outer hubs and will provide a 0.00 reference. Set your blades 0.022 in under the 0.00 reference created by the square. Make sure you wire wheel all surfaces and all fasteners you intend to re-use. I applied anti-sieze generously. (Fastenal p/n 62520). Use Fastenal p/n 80414 1/2-13 x 23/4 (3 pieces per blade) to secure the wedge. Torque to spec. Make sure you still have a clearance of 0.022 between the blade and the 0.00 reference provided by the modified builders square. Use Fastenal p/n 23401 1/2-13 x 1/2 (1 pc per blade) to plug the jack screw hole & torque to spec.

The cutter bar is next. Wire wheel all surfaces & fasteners you intend to re-use. Apply anti-sieze generously. Set the cutter bar 0.032 under the highest blade edge you just installed in the previous section. Torque to spec.

I cannot believe how my well my 1975 JEY 4 cylinder just eats up even the dead wood now. Be careful & most of all have fun! I have free JEY manuals if anyone needs one. Email me at [email protected] -chris:chainsawguy::chainsawguy::chainsawguy:

i have a early 90's chuck and duck and have found my local sherrill service shop does carry the blades and bolts to fit mine(12''). I bough mine from a larry in rockford a couple years ago and know he still he still buys parts and running ones.

There also is a guy near me who sells parts ones, but only wants to sell the whole unit as a parts machine. I need a engine shroud framework for mine , but nothing else. He does have some fairly complete 300 6 units though.

chipper

HI does any one know how to remove rusty blade adjusting bolts out of a jey 12" chipper?
i have a early 90's chuck and duck and have found my local sherrill service shop does carry the blades and bolts to fit mine(12''). I bough mine from a larry in rockford a couple years ago and know he still he still buys parts and running ones.

There also is a guy near me who sells parts ones, but only wants to sell the whole unit as a parts machine. I need a engine shroud framework for mine , but nothing else. He does have some fairly complete 300 6 units though.

Thermostat housing

I am looking for a thermostat housing I have ford straight 6 industrial engine and can't seem to get one at the auto parts store. I believe it's a 80 module motor any help would be greatly
Appreciated.

I found altec very good to deal with when i had a JEY 12 for parts.

Wish i still had that machine for some light trimming jobs.

Instruction/parts manual for the JEY Asplund Whisper chipper

send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a pdf of instructions for the JEY Asplund model.

To help everyone whose interested in setting their knives correctly, I've attached the section in the older JEY manual on cutter bar replacement.

HOWEVER, In the years its been since that writing that post, I've found that Altec purchased Asplundh many years ago and still sells / supports the older drum equipment styles. While purchasing other replacement parts for my JEY, I learned of and purchased the updated Operator / Maintenance / Parts Manual. So, since I don't wanting to jepordize my relationship with Altec or violate copywrite laws, I have decided to stop sending out free copies of the entire manual. Besides, the updated version is much better,

Please contact Altec Direct at 1-877-462-5832 (1-877-GO-ALTEC) and order Part number 074930004. For $40. you just can't go wrong.

Feel free to contact me on any technical or service questions you may have. The JEY is an awesome machine.

JEY Cutter Knives Replacement & Bearing Replacement info.

Here is my JEY after repaint. In the winter of 2011/2012 I replaced the bearings. If anyone is interested replacing their JEY bearings, let me know and I can walk you thru it.

Latest posts

Back