Asplundh Whisper Chipper Replacement Parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warteetee

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Have been working on a Asplundh Whisper chipper with the help of a few of the Sage's on this listserver. I am in need of a few parts for the machine and wanted to know where the best place (or any place) is to buy the parts. At this point I need 3 of the blade adjustment screws, possibly a cutter bar holder and in the near future oil seals and bearings for the drum.

Any help would be appreciated again.

Thanks

Hope this helps

I've been able to buy parts from altec they bought or took over asphlund. www.altec.com you have to set up an account, but then you can call parts department. You need serial number from machine.

I just replaced some knife bolts picked them up from local fastener (bolt) supply house.

Good luck

Remove 1 of the existing screws and take it to the hardware store.All these screws do is raise the blades.I dont remember anything special about them.
Your local bearing house will beable to get the bearings for it all you will need is the #'s off the old bearing.

I guess you are right that the only purpose of these bolts is to hold the bolt up so they are nothing special (hardness, etc). They appear to be national fine so I should be able to get them locally. I will give that a try - thanks.

I have visited 3-4 shops around here that work on equipment and the such and none of them had anything close to the bolts for the blade adjustments. Some might have had the allen in the top (small size), but none had it with both. Given the last ones are hard to get out with the 3/8th allen, I would had to rely on just the smaller size up top. Altec has yet to return my call about these.

Thoughts?

Whisper Blade Adjustment Hardware

Altec dealer carries them-$33.00. Must order and wait at the WPB, FL location.

I got a hold of the Altec parts department and I have two of the bolts on order - $23 each and whould be here in a week or so.

I got the two bolts out with some grinding, welding and a lot of really nasty words. I think the nasty words did the trick.

Question on adjusting the new blades and a new cutter bar. The manual I have (thanks Steve in Maine) states the cutter bar should be .020 below the bore - what do you all use to measure this since the bore is offset from the cutter bar? Once you have that down, then the blades are to be .032 from the cutter bar - I guess that is just enough to let some light through?

Getting there - hope to have her running by next weekend.

I got a hold of the Altec parts department and I have two of the bolts on order - $23 each and whould be here in a week or so.

I got the two bolts out with some grinding, welding and a lot of really nasty words. I think the nasty words did the trick.

Question on adjusting the new blades and a new cutter bar. The manual I have (thanks Steve in Maine) states the cutter bar should be .020 below the bore - what do you all use to measure this since the bore is offset from the cutter bar? Once you have that down, then the blades are to be .032 from the cutter bar - I guess that is just enough to let some light through?

Getting there - hope to have her running by next weekend.

War just lay blade on top of adjusters and slide it over to one side there is a margin or raised edge udjust the blades flush or justahair under that kinda hard to explain but if slide the blade over to each side and look you shoulk\d see what im talkin bout! By adjusting blades to that edge and then adjusting cutter bar to blades it will put cutter approx .20 from bore as that raised edge marks th bore hope I explained and helped.

Last edited:
Setting cutter bar height on Asplund whisper JEY series

(Reference only!!)-With all the knives in position, I use a 2 in section of a .032 feeler gage to set the cutter bar. I can send you a copy of the original instructions if you need them. - Chris

whisper chipper

I am in the need of a starter for a very old whisper chipper late 60's to early 70s' the ones I can buy from the local auto part's store do not work . I was told it might be a ford industrial engine and am unable to getany info fro the local ford indudtrial people . I am out of ideas . if anyone might have some info it would be greatly appricated

I am in the need of a starter for a very old whisper chipper late 60's to early 70s' the ones I can buy from the local auto part's store do not work . I was told it might be a ford industrial engine and am unable to getany info fro the local ford indudtrial people . I am out of ideas . if anyone might have some info it would be greatly appricated
Well it seems I remember having that trouble once and had to have the original rebuilt. I think it was due to the clocking of the bolt pattern? Then I remember napa found a starter for it the next time it went out. You live in pa asplundh headquarters is in willow grove I would try to call them have serial numbers model and anything pertinent is it the three hundred six?

Last edited:
Hi I'm John I'm trying to change knives in my asplundh whisper

(Reference only!!)-With all the knives in position, I use a 2 in section of a .032 feeler gage to set the cutter bar. I can send you a copy of the original instructions if you need them. - Chris

How can i get instructions on all the settings putting them back in?

knive replacement/adjustment instructions

send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a pdf of instructions for the JEY Asplund model.

Hey guys. I just had my blades literally explode while running. I have no idea what happened but luckily no one got killed when the shrapnul came fliing out (never stand behind them!). Anyway i broke some of my adjusters so i'm hoping to be able to get them out. do these blades need retightening every once in a while or what? I am thinking one came loose and then sucked those pieces in destroying everything. ANy thoughts of what happened?

Blade Bolt

Its real important to make sure everything is real clean when you put your blades in so you get good torque readings on the bolts.

After you tighten the wedge bolts to 120 lbs., it is a good idea to give the wedge and the bolts a good hit with a punch and heavy hammer to make sure everything seated well and then re-torque to 120lbs. while also checking that the gap didn't change. After that, you need to torque the adjustment bolts to 50lbs. to lock them and the blades in as per the instructions I have (JEX smooth blades).

What brand blades did you have? Quality in blades is important!

Blades are a real hard steel and can shatter if they get damaged at all. I read some where that a guy use to test his blades when he took them out by dropping them on the floor. If they didn't break, he would send them out to be sharpened.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply! I had no instructions when i did them. Just torqued them down but didnt torque the adjustment screws. I am also not sure what brand the blades are. I will use your torque specs when i re assemble but I have to get about 6 adjustment screws cause they also broke.

I was just told by altech that they do not have the adjustment screws since the machine is sold old. I am guessing it is around 60's. Any clue where I could get these?

Back