ArboristSite.com Sponsors

At 58 years old I'll take it...

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by PA. Woodsman, Mar 21, 2019.

1. PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman Addicted to ArboristSite

Had the "physical" part of a physical last night, knew the blood test results already thanks to this new wonderful invention called a "computer", was set for the physical part a month ago but they cancelled because of snow so I went last night and despite my "bad" cholesterol being mildly elevated at 226 (the good is at 56 so that's great) and packing a few extra pounds which should come off soon with wood splitting, coaching soccer and all of the other outdoor things I do he said I was in pretty good shape. I don't take any meds and I am so very thankful for that, take a lot of vitamins and herbs and all and I think that is why I don't need meds but at 58 years old I'll take it. He did say he'd like to see me lose 20 pounds, and when I asked my wife and about 4 women at work today "be honest, do I look like I need to lose 20 pounds?" they all made the same scrunchy face and said "no....a few maybe but not 20" and one of them told me that her ex boyfriend who is a body builder his doctor told him the same exact thing! So maybe that is the latest trend, tell EVERYONE they need to lose 20 pounds!

I'll drop a few pounds which will help the cholesterol drop, blood pressure was up just a little but that'll drop too and for some reason I always seem to get a bit nervous going in even though I rarely go, must be something that happens as we get older, we see so many of our friends and family pass on we wonder "are they going to find something wrong with me?"

I'll take it....could be MUCH worse!!

2. lone wolf

lone wolf MS 200T King

I bet the blood pressure is lower when your home.

stillhunter, Markus and PA. Woodsman like this.
  3. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot ArboristSite Guru

According to the BMI chart just about everyone is over weight. Thing is, they don't take into consideration muscle mass. According to the chart my doctor used, at 5'10", I am supposed to be 155-160 lbs. If I did a dexa scan, at approx. 15% bodyfat my lean mass (weight of only my muscle, bone, tissue, organs, etc) with zero fat would be around 180 lbs. So with not a single ounce of fat, Id still be 20 pounds over what the magical chart says I should be. People cannot be zero percent body fat, its called death.

155??? Just LOL

SeMoTony, tilenick, 95custmz and 3 others like this.
  4. PA. Woodsman

I'll bet you are right, I told them in October I had to have pictures taken of the back of my eyes because my eye pressures were up and they said everything was "super healthy" and you can tell if you have blood pressure issues as well as diabetes and other things by the condition of the blood vessels back there so I feel fine that way. And the pressures were up because my corneas were "thick as steel" the doctor said, so I'm not too worried about that too!

grizz55chev likes this.
  5. PA. Woodsman

Yes you are right, even the doc said that BMI thing isn't too accurate! I said "I think there is a lot of muscle there" and he agreed and said I was "thick boned" but still wants to see me lose 20 pounds and said "the next time I'll see you you'll be svelte", but I don't know how long that'll be, for me to lose that much weight and be "svelte" I might be 80 years old lol!

And I think I am supposed to be around 155-175 pounds according to that so that's a lot more than 20 pounds and it ain't gonna happen unless I cut both legs off lol!

SeMoTony likes this.
  6. TonyK

TonyK Addicted to ArboristSite Staff Member

I had my FAA flight physical this week. I have been getting them since I was a teenager and for the first time in my life it actually gave me pause. I ended up with "Corrective lenses must be worn" on my cert. Getting old sucks.

7. CentaurG2

CentaurG2 Addicted to ArboristSite

The BMI is pretty much the standard used by most health professionals. You can always opt for the “you need to weigh what you did as a Freshmen in high school”. Other method is to take a good look at yourself in a mirror. If you see fat…your fat. Twenty pounds of fat (not muscle or H2O) aint the end of the world but it might take you some time. You might get it done in 4 months but I would budget for 6.

SeMoTony, Markus and lone wolf like this.
  8. Markus

Markus ArboristSite Operative

BMI is actually pretty good for "normal" people.
    https://www.livestrong.com/article/365747-is-it-possible-to-have-a-high-bmi-not-be-obese/

It's just that a normal weight in 2019 would have been considered overweight 30 years ago.
    I have a BMI of 22.

Edit: With that said, 20 pounds overweight and a little high blood pressure is not much to worry about.
    My dad is 67, been a logger all his life and he also has a little elevated blood pressure but that doesn't seem to be something to be alarmed by in itself. At least if it's just a little too high.

SeMoTony likes this.
  9. CentaurG2

From what I remember the BMI was adopted in the US right around year 2000. Not totally modern but far from an antique. It is the measurement used by most heath professionals and …insurance companies.

SeMoTony likes this.
  10. sirbuildalot

The article linked is exactly in line with my previous post. Using myself as an example. My height is 70” and my weight is 215. So (225/70x70)x 703 gives me a BMI of approx 31. So I’m considered “obese”.....but wait, if you read further men should have a body fat in the 11-20 percent range. My bf percentage is about 15 percent, smack dab in the middle of the acceptable range. So why am I considered “obese”? Because I carry “too much” muscle. Lol BMI works if you are about 10-12 percent body fat and have virtually zero muscle on you. Not everyone wants to be a skinny beanpole of a man

Ash_403 and SeMoTony like this.
  11. Markus

Athletes and bodybuilders are mentioned as exceptions. So if you are very muscular it will read wrong, but it's a good tool for the general population.
    So it all boils down to being honest to yourself, do I have a high BMI because I'm as fit as a professional athlete or because I'm fat? Both could be right.

SeMoTony likes this.
  12. sirbuildalot

I agree, most people who are fat know deep down that they are fat. As for the athlete, many other factors make great athletes. Genetics in general, more specifically Fast twitch muscle fiber distribution vs slow twitch, which in turn helps one be explosive. Very important for most sports. Also skill set for that sport and work ethic. Just because someone is heavily muscled doesn’t mean they are athletic.

SeMoTony likes this.
  13. Markus

How about sumo wrestlers, fit or fat? :muscle: :D

I found another way of measuring, the waist to height ratio:
    http://www.health-calc.com/body-composition/waist-to-height-ratio

Does it work better than BMI?

95custmz likes this.
  14. CentaurG2

A lifetime ago, I used to work with a lot of Japanese folks. Talking Sumo was always an ice breaker for us. From what they told me, most wrestlers don’t live very long and heart disease was the major problem. Again, BMI is the accepted standard. Big boned or muscle bound don’t matter to your doc or an insurance company.

SeMoTony likes this.
  15. sirbuildalot

Fat not fit. Most sumo wrestlers are 30+ percent body fat. Most health articles will state men not to exceed 20 percent. Big difference between 15 percent and 35 percent. No one recommends being super fat.

SeMoTony likes this.
  16. PA. Woodsman

But I'm NOT fat, that's the reason everyone makes funny faces when I tell them he said that! Yes, I could lose a few pounds but 20, no way!

SeMoTony likes this.
  17. CentaurG2

You know what health care professionals use to determine “optimal weight for your age”. If you don’t agree with their recommendations and choose not to follow them, nobody is going to fault you for it.

SeMoTony likes this.
  18. aokpops

aokpops Addicted to ArboristSite

Being the same age myself never going to the doctor . I just check my pant size . I was 32 in high school got bigger for about 20 years . A few years back all pants would not fit they were to big for about the last 10 years I have been walking . The last 3 or 4 been running . I don't really care what job comes up or this that needs done. I get my walk or run in . Been running some 5 k the old guys in this age group are very tough . Check your vo2 an your good

SeMoTony likes this.
  19. Isaac678

Isaac678 ArboristSite Lurker

Count me in too..